Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: Grade Air Part 1 and Air Part 2 – 2 Hour Premier
9 Chevrons – Out of this Universe (A+) 15 8.72%
8 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies 55 31.98%
7 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy 54 31.40%
6 Chevrons – Within our Solar System 16 9.30%
5 Chevrons – Haven’t got past Earth (Average) 10 5.81%
4 Chevrons – No flying machines at all 10 5.81%
3 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial 6 3.49%
2 Chevrons – Dark Ages 3 1.74%
1 Chevron – Throwing rocks and stones here 1 0.58%
Cannot Establish Lock – Doesn’t even exist (F) 2 1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6 2009, 03:18 PM   #436
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Re: SG-U – Air I and II (1x01/02) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Brent wrote: View Post
about the stones, and their ability to communicate across billions of light years in real time, hey, this is science fiction, who says an advanced alien race couldn't have developed the technology for something such as that, apparently, they did in the gate universe... it just is, as silly as you think it is, it is technology, just cause we don't understand how it works doesn't negate the fact that it does
A great man once said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
Old October 6 2009, 03:21 PM   #437
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

AJBryant wrote: View Post
about the stones, and their ability to communicate across billions of light years in real time, hey, this is science fiction, who says an advanced alien race couldn't have developed the technology for something such as that, apparently, they did in the gate universe... it just is, as silly as you think it is, it is technology, just cause we don't understand how it works doesn't negate the fact that it does
A great man once said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
A writer for TNG?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Old October 6 2009, 04:33 PM   #438
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

FKnight wrote: View Post
Corran Horrrrrrrrible wrote: View Post
It's been established that unless everything is calibrated correctly (no celestial drift in play or whatever they 'tech' it with) you do get launched out of the gate sometimes. The modifications to the SGC's dialing computer and all that were why nobody gets catapulted through (or is covered in frost) anymore.
Yah, that's why in the movie and in the first episode of SG-1 they got thrown out of the Stargate like last night's trash. The way Carter explained it was that the DHD's correct for stellar drift and other factors. After modifying the SGC's dialing computer, they ended up resolving the issue.

Not sure what the affects would be when opening a wormhole to a moving ship billions of light years away though, although one must wonder why the guys at Icarus base didn't use the DHD that was sitting there the whole time.
I'm guessing they had probably gutted that DHD to use technology from that DHD in their own dialing computing. Or, gutted it to hack into its programming.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old October 6 2009, 04:34 PM   #439
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Creeping Jenee wrote: View Post
A writer for TNG?
Arthur C. Clarke

Old October 6 2009, 04:57 PM   #440
Scout101
Admiral

Ghoul Malakai wrote: View Post
They mentioned trying to have someone push the button and leave, only to have the door open up again right after it shut. So I don't think doing it by remote would work.
That's because they were trying to put stuff in the doorway to wedge it open long enough to get out. That triggered the "shit in the way" sensor, and the door wouldn't close...

Piss-poor airlock either way. Doors should never both be open as the same time, so if the inner door was stuck partially open (either up or down), the outer door should have been closed during that process. And since you can't seal the inner door, the outer door would refuse to open no matter what.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old October 6 2009, 04:58 PM   #441
Brent
Admiral

The outer door's mechanism was broken... it was probably trying to close, but couldn't

Old October 6 2009, 05:20 PM   #442
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

Creeping Jenee wrote: View Post

A writer for TNG?
Arthur C. Clarke
I know. I was kidding.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Old October 6 2009, 10:43 PM   #443
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

I just saw this and was very unimpressed.

What I like:
  • The ship, potential mysteries much like with Atlantis.
  • The filming style, more modern (albeit it predictable these days).
  • Potentially more conflict.
  • Brian J. Smith as Matthew Scott... mmmm mmm hell yeah! I'll happy watch 45 mins of him a time. Preferably naked (him not me).

The bad:

Well nothing happened. Someone attacked (was it the Goa'uld?) and they were flung on to a ship, then nothing much happened. At all. Oh there's a hole in the ship, some fancy cameras that float... an obvious sacrifice. There was no setup of what's to come, no sense of mystery or big bad.

There were the predictable moments... taking a photo of the drawer and crying, because that's what people with troubled pasts do blah blah.

And none of the characters were intersting or involving. Wanting to bang Scott doesn't count in my books. They were all just so dull.

Overall not impressed. However it does have potential, and I will watch more of course.
Old October 6 2009, 11:18 PM   #444
Kpnuts
Commodore

Decent. Nothing spectacular. Very dull in parts, and as AnthonyF says...nothing actually happens. It could have done with even a small action scene somewhere in part 2.

- The ship is a lot better looking than I thought it would be. Although design wise it probably took about 5 minutes to come up with.

- The senator was terrible, over-(bad)-acting from the guy who plays him and was very happy to see him go. Sadly the daughter isn't much better.

Greer? The black guy..... wow, he's awful. Does he really have to talk like that?

Young is good. Johansen is good. Scott is good. Rush and Eli are the best characters.

The rest, meh.

My favourite part was Eli playing with the Kino's.

It was ok, I get the feeling it could get boring and non-hardcore fans could tune out very quickly.

We'll see....

Hopefully there will be some action, mystery, cool things happening in part 3, although from previews it looks like lots of arguing on the sand zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PS: Seriously, who came up with the name "Stargate Universe"??? Not very good is it.
Old October 7 2009, 12:00 AM   #445
AntonyF
Administrator

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
Greer? The black guy..... wow, he's awful. Does he really have to talk like that?
Oh god yeah. That voice! He spoke like some big fat black woman. [Edit, to clarify as I couldn't quite say what I mean, I think of Loretta in Family Guy]

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
My favourite part was Eli playing with the Kino's.
If that's noteworthy it's pretty damning isn't it?

Last edited by AntonyF; October 7 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old October 7 2009, 01:21 AM   #446
MNM
Captain

STR wrote: View Post
And to throw fuel on the fire, Carter was hot, still is hot(bad lighting in this ep.)
I've never found Carter to be "hot". She's not ugly or anything, but she is no where near hot. Actually I would say there has only been two "hot" chicks ever on Stargate, Lexa Doig and the tok'ra chick who had a handful of episodes and then disappeared.

Overall I enjoyed it, wasnt the best thing ever, not sure I completely like the "feel" of the show at the moment, too close to nuBSG and too far from SG-1 for me, but a decent enough show so far. I will continue to tune in.

I did not like the geeky kid, Eli, he struck me as a combination of McKay and Kevin Smith-lite. He annoyed me by simply existing.

One of the main pluses for me was that even in their smallish showing, I thought they managed to make the Lucian Alliance seem dangerous and a threat, something SG-1, for as much as I loved it, never managed
Old October 7 2009, 05:11 AM   #447
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The grimness and ofcourse the obvious "BSG" cues stood out the most for me.

If Mckay were brought on for an episode i'm sure he'd be more serious.

It's like an alternate reality of Stargate where things aren't so clean cut.

Hardly any P90's and Vancouver forests or Renaissance fair set.

Oh, and Sky in the UK cut out the sex scene, since it's going to be aired before the watershed.

The actor that plays Scott tweets his annoyance at the scene getting cut out. Since, without that scene, you barely have any idea why he brings the female officer with him and Riley later on. And why they have the awkward exchange in the corridor.
Old October 7 2009, 09:02 AM   #448
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Haven't ever watched much Stargate (SG-1 or Atlantis), but I'm desperate for space opera now that BSG has ended so I gave this a chance. It was alright. Good enough for me to tune in for the next episode.
Old October 7 2009, 10:45 AM   #449
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
The actor that plays Scott tweets his annoyance at the scene getting cut out. Since, without that scene, you barely have any idea why he brings the female officer with him and Riley later on. And why they have the awkward exchange in the corridor.
I see, that scene seemed a bit odd.

I enjoyed it, dissapointed Rush didn't keep up us bad guy front and explained how nice he was deep down to Lt Kasteel's daughter.
Old October 7 2009, 11:08 AM   #450
AntonyF
Administrator

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Oh, and Sky in the UK cut out the sex scene, since it's going to be aired before the watershed.

OUTRAGE! He was the only thing that kept me interested throughout, and they cutout some titilation. Damn you Sky one to hell!

They also cut out Helo wrything in BSG.. do they want to punish me?