RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,914
Posts: 5,331,203
Members: 24,560
Currently online: 549
Newest member: jakesmit44543

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 4 2009, 10:52 PM   #16
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Farscape rewatch

Really?! "The Choice" is one of my favorites!
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 10:55 PM   #17
AntonyF
Administrator
 
AntonyF's Avatar
 
View AntonyF's Twitter Profile
Re: Farscape rewatch

RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
Really?! "The Choice" is one of my favorites!
Aside from Claudia getting to do a bit of acting.... why?
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 11:01 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Farscape rewatch

I don't know. I just really enjoyed the story. Aeryn grew up a soldier and finally learned what it was really like to love. Then she lost that love and went into a deep depression. I don't think it was contrived for that to happen. In the end, however, she knew she couldn't just go on living like that, so she retreated (or tried to, for the next couple episodes) back into her soldier role.

I also liked how Stark was hearing Zhaan and then went off to find her, and had there been a Season 5, I bet we would have learned more about that. As it is, I enjoy the mystery.

Plus there was that really neat baby puppet thing.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 11:10 PM   #19
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Farscape rewatch

My fundamental problem with "The Choice" is pretty much what I've already said: I don't care. I get Aeryn is having severe difficulty getting over Crichton, but I'm not. Yeah, yeah, you're sad, but there's a very much alive Crichton who's solving his personal problems using cartoons, can I watch him instead? That said I didn't find it too poor an episode and it was a pretty decent coda to the Talyn arc.

RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
I also liked how Stark was hearing Zhaan and then went off to find her, and had there been a Season 5, I bet we would have learned more about that. As it is, I enjoy the mystery.
While we probably would have got resolution to this in a fifth season, as-is it was just a way to write Stark off the show. And if there's one thing Farscape didn't need to do, it was get rid of Stark. He was the last really good addition to the Farscape ensemble.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2009, 11:14 PM   #20
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Farscape rewatch

Kegg wrote: View Post
My fundamental problem with "The Choice" is pretty much what I've already said: I don't care. I get Aeryn is having severe difficulty getting over Crichton, but I'm not. Yeah, yeah, you're sad, but there's a very much alive Crichton who's solving his personal problems using cartoons, can I watch him instead? That said I didn't find it too poor an episode and it was a pretty decent coda to the Talyn arc.
I guess it helps that Aeryn is my favorite character. I definitely cared about what she was going through.

RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
I also liked how Stark was hearing Zhaan and then went off to find her, and had there been a Season 5, I bet we would have learned more about that. As it is, I enjoy the mystery.
While we probably would have got resolution to this in a fifth season, as-is it was just a way to write Stark off the show. And if there's one thing Farscape didn't need to do, it was get rid of Stark. He was the last really good addition to the Farscape ensemble.
Yeah, but it's kind of his thing. He shows up...then he leaves...then he shows up again...then he leaves...

Hell, the first time he left they didn't even give us an explanation until the middle of Season 2!

I do love Stark, though. He's my second favorite character behind Aeryn.

Honestly, Crichton is probably #4 or #5 on my list.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 12:24 AM   #21
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape rewatch

Stark was written out of the series near the end of the third season so Paul Goddard could pursue theatrical acting. It wasn't the writers choice, but the actors. And he was still brought back to the series several times in season four, when his schedule permitted.

The season one DVDs are out of stock on Netflix, IIRC, due to rights issues. But that should be resolved very soon when the complete series is re-released on DVD (or has that already happened?).

And didn't Stark at least get a throw-away line at the end of season one explaining his absence? Or am I remembering a different throw-away line explaining another one of his absences?
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 12:36 AM   #22
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Farscape rewatch

Harvey wrote: View Post
Stark was written out of the series near the end of the third season so Paul Goddard could pursue theatrical acting. It wasn't the writers choice, but the actors. And he was still brought back to the series several times in season four, when his schedule permitted.
I figured it was something like that. Just like Virginia Hey had to leave because of acting concerns/not wanting to be bald/makeup problems (it was one or all of those), and Tammy Morrisson also left to pursue a film career, IIRC.

Had Goddard signed up to return as a regular for season five, out of curiosity?

And didn't Stark at least get a throw-away line at the end of season one explaining his absence? Or am I remembering a different throw-away line explaining another one of his absences?
Nope. He just vanishes. He does get a throwaway line explaining what happened when he comes back in season two - he's returning the pod the Moyans lent him to leave last time - though where he went, who knows! Well, right, he was busy most of this time setting up the ingenious plan for the S2 finale arc, but bear with me.

He doesn't get any such lines for his return at the end of S4, though, so you're probably thinking of the line I referenced.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 12:42 AM   #23
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Farscape rewatch

For anyone reading the recent (and still!!) ongoing comics (written by Keith R.A. DeCandido and Rockne O'Bannon), they've covered the Hynerian plot with Rygel already. And continue to cover it. GREAT reads!! They capture the series perfectly, and I think it's gonna be all we're going to get until those webisodes come out, if they ever do. And if those DO come out, O'Bannon says these comics are not only canon, but will be important to the stories.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 12:49 AM   #24
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape rewatch

Kegg wrote: View Post
I figured it was something like that. Just like Virginia Hey had to leave because of acting concerns/not wanting to be bald/makeup problems (it was one or all of those), and Tammy Morrisson also left to pursue a film career, IIRC.
Hey left because she was having an allergic reaction to the make-up. It was getting painful for her, and there was no way she could continue the role as a regular. She had already reduced her role significantly during season two, but the make-up was still taking its toll.

Had Goddard signed up to return as a regular for season five, out of curiosity?
I'm not sure. I'm willing to bet that a lot of that was up in the air when cancellation came down and it became a moot point. He was able to come back for the miniseries, though, and was also able to cut his hair, so it is possible.

Nope. He just vanishes. He does get a throwaway line explaining what happened when he comes back in season two - he's returning the pod the Moyans lent him to leave last time - though where he went, who knows! Well, right, he was busy most of this time setting up the ingenious plan for the S2 finale arc, but bear with me.
That's the line I was thinking of. Thanks for refreshing my memory, which is obviously failing far before I get to old age.

And I'll echo the endorsement of M'rk, son of Mogh for the comic series that's out now. The first hardcover, The Beginning of the End of the Beginning, hit the tone of the series perfectly (and dealt with the Hynerian thread leftover from the Peacekeeper Wars).
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 01:42 AM   #25
Trubinator
Rear Admiral
 
Trubinator's Avatar
 
Location: Chico, Calif.
Re: Farscape rewatch

I really enjoyed season four, so I disagree on that point. But I do agree that season one has that inexplicably amazing feel to it that was lost at precisely the moment you mentioned. I especially liked the music in early episodes, such as the tune at the end of episode three out on the observation deck.
__________________
"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
--Arthur C. Clarke
Trubinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 06:40 AM   #26
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Farscape rewatch

I just got done watching Babylon 5, and one of the questions I was asked afterwards was if I considered B5 the greatest scifi show ever. I had to say no because I still have a huge love for Farscape. This show was original, fun when it needed to be, serious when it needed to be, and just one of the most well written, well acted, and just damn cool series I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing on television. I may buy the new release when it comes out because I really miss this show to death.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 09:46 AM   #27
Technobuilder
Commodore
 
Technobuilder's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville, TN
Re: Farscape rewatch

I'm planning a rewatch as soon as the Complete Series DVD hit my doorstep in a few months.

Merry Christmas to me.

I should probably do a B5 run through as well and then finish up with DS9, it's been about 4 years since the last time I did either of those.
__________________
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 10:36 AM   #28
AntonyF
Administrator
 
AntonyF's Avatar
 
View AntonyF's Twitter Profile
Re: Farscape rewatch

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
For anyone reading the recent (and still!!) ongoing comics (written by Keith R.A. DeCandido and Rockne O'Bannon), they've covered the Hynerian plot with Rygel already. And continue to cover it. GREAT reads!!
These are the first comics I've ever read (well not counting the Beano as a kid, and Arsenic Lullbay). First graphic novels I read? I didn't want the hassle of ordering them, so found them on the iPhone for 59p each! However I got to part two of four... and now there's no parts three and four!

But aside from the odd line, the dialog really does fit with the show. And Aeren and Crichton arguing over who would look after the kid I felt was very spot on.

Harvey wrote: View Post
Hey left because she was having an allergic reaction to the make-up. It was getting painful for her, and there was no way she could continue the role as a regular. She had already reduced her role significantly during season two, but the make-up was still taking its toll.
And it made her kidneys bleed. Jesus! Granny also started to have makeup issues, which is why she's not in Peacekeeper Wars much.


Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I should probably do a B5 run through as well and then finish up with DS9, it's been about 4 years since the last time I did either of those.
I've watched B5 through three times, so it doesn't have rewatch ability yet. DS9 too many times too. But I am now in the mood for another mass run through and don't have much! Bah. So watching One Tree Hill season 6 now... not quite Farscape is it?
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 01:55 PM   #29
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Farscape rewatch

RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
I must be one of the only people in the world who actually enjoys "Taking the Stone." It's not one of my favorites by any means, but I never had a problem with it. And I love the ending.

Chiana: "Hey, old man."
John: "Hey, little girl."
I'm with ya. I like the epsiode fine. I don't think there's a single ep of the series that I dislike.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2009, 02:10 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Farscape rewatch

Forbin wrote: View Post
RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
I must be one of the only people in the world who actually enjoys "Taking the Stone." It's not one of my favorites by any means, but I never had a problem with it. And I love the ending.

Chiana: "Hey, old man."
John: "Hey, little girl."
I'm with ya. I like the epsiode fine. I don't think there's a single ep of the series that I dislike.
I don't dislike any either, though there are certainly a few that I would be perfectly okay with never watching again.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
browder, farscape

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.