Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: The Destiny
Yay 61 87.14%
Nay 9 12.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 4 2009, 03:47 AM   #16
Basill
Captain

Re: What do you think of the Destiny?

DarKush wrote: View Post
I liked it. It was different, but pretty cool. I like how they introduced it in the opening shot.
I liked that too. It sort of reminded me of the Draconian Battleship from the 70's Buck Rogers or something in that opening scene, but it was so much creepier.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Old October 4 2009, 04:52 AM   #17
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

So why would the life support systems have to engaged, long enough to fail, if the ship was sent out unmanned?
Old October 4 2009, 04:54 AM   #18
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Apogeal Alpha01 wrote: View Post
So why would the life support systems have to engaged, long enough to fail, if the ship was sent out unmanned?
Who knows, and who is to say they are the first to have been on the ship... I mean, there is so much unknown about it all right now, we don't know if life support was ON the entire time, or if it JUST came on for the first time ever, or what the state of the power core is, or anything

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old October 4 2009, 01:06 PM   #19
FrankR
Lieutenant Commander

Kaijima wrote: View Post
Brent wrote: View Post
I noticed they are now calling it simply "FTL" since it isn't hyperspace. I wonder about the specs on it now, like how fast it can go, what kind of FTL is it. Apparently it can travel pretty fast to get that far out there.
Actually, bear in mind that the ship has been out there for 100,000 (?) years. It might actually be an inferior, early form of FTL that "only" travels a few times faster than light. Over that span of time, a slower ship could have gotten that far, I figure.
(I might have the travel time to Pegasus wrong; this is from memory)

Destiny is definitely slower than hyperspace. The Pegasis galaxy is about 2.7 million LY away and I think they said it takes a week; that's 385,714 LY per day.

In the dialog of AIR they said they are "Several Billion" light years from home. assume several = 2; then to travel 2 billion LY in 100,000 years they'd need to average 20,000C; that is about 56 light years a day.

Oh; and I voted Yay.

-frank
Old October 4 2009, 03:35 PM   #20
lennier1
Commodore

Looks like a giant "Pilgrim Cross", only without the Kilrathi.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old October 4 2009, 04:11 PM   #21
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Very good design.. it looks "ancient" (pun intended) and derelict.. really like it has several hundred thousand or even million years under its belt.

It is slowly falling apart but that it has endured so long is a thumbs up for ancient engineering.

I'll be interested to see what they will discover on it.
Old October 4 2009, 04:25 PM   #22
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

FrankR wrote: View Post
Kaijima wrote: View Post
Brent wrote: View Post
I noticed they are now calling it simply "FTL" since it isn't hyperspace. I wonder about the specs on it now, like how fast it can go, what kind of FTL is it. Apparently it can travel pretty fast to get that far out there.
Actually, bear in mind that the ship has been out there for 100,000 (?) years. It might actually be an inferior, early form of FTL that "only" travels a few times faster than light. Over that span of time, a slower ship could have gotten that far, I figure.
(I might have the travel time to Pegasus wrong; this is from memory)

Destiny is definitely slower than hyperspace. The Pegasis galaxy is about 2.7 million LY away and I think they said it takes a week; that's 385,714 LY per day.

In the dialog of AIR they said they are "Several Billion" light years from home. assume several = 2; then to travel 2 billion LY in 100,000 years they'd need to average 20,000C; that is about 56 light years a day.

Oh; and I voted Yay.

-frank
Yeah I think it takes the human Earth ships 2 weeks to get to Atlantis and back.

However it's not liek the writers really have any timeline for anythnig, they just make it up as they go along.
Old October 4 2009, 06:45 PM   #23
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I voted yay. For a ship that has been out there planet hopping for more than a hundred millennia, fought through battles somehow (?), and is still flying means that the Ancients really built things to last.

I just wonder if the the ship that seeded the planets with stargates may also have built a kind of repair or relay station. Every ship needs to have some kind of layover or overhaul every now and then.

My blog / My crime stories
Old October 5 2009, 03:02 PM   #24
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Dull, derivative, boring. Like the show itself. Well, except for Math Boy.
Old October 5 2009, 04:44 PM   #25
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

I liked it. and, I especially like that computer 'knows' what materials to look for on planets to fix the ship - even if it doesn't know how to translate back to the humans what to do with the materials and how to actually fix it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Old October 5 2009, 06:36 PM   #26
Jono
Rear Admiral

I actually still don't get the point of the ship's existence.
Old October 5 2009, 06:54 PM   #27
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

I think Rush theorized that the 'Ancients' sent it out so that at some point in the future, their progeny could leave Earth or Icarus and go to a distant part of the galaxy and explore it or populate it.

Old October 5 2009, 11:22 PM   #28
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

That's a cool avatar Jenee. You're giving Temis a run for her creativity on the Avatar front!
Old October 6 2009, 01:01 AM   #29
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

Thanks, but it's all thanks to the creative genius that is ITL.

Old October 6 2009, 02:58 AM   #30
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

I like the look of the ship. I dig how the various buildings and structures on it make it look like a flying city while its overall shape is a very traditional bird-like spaceship shape. The interior definitely conveys dread and mystery and definitely has a different feel than sets from other SG series.