Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

View Poll Results: Grade Air Part 1 and Air Part 2 – 2 Hour Premier
9 Chevrons – Out of this Universe (A+) 15 8.72%
8 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies 55 31.98%
7 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy 54 31.40%
6 Chevrons – Within our Solar System 16 9.30%
5 Chevrons – Haven’t got past Earth (Average) 10 5.81%
4 Chevrons – No flying machines at all 10 5.81%
3 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial 6 3.49%
2 Chevrons – Dark Ages 3 1.74%
1 Chevron – Throwing rocks and stones here 1 0.58%
Cannot Establish Lock – Doesn’t even exist (F) 2 1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 4 2009, 06:28 AM   #361
FKnight
Commander

Re: SG-U – Air I and II (1x01/02) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
But what are they going to do - Rush is probably the most knowledgeable about fixing the ship, and just as committed to surviving as everyone else. Once they have resolved this immediate air problem, I'm sure a proper authority structure will be established.

And is Rush really lying? It would make some sense to make him the leader for now, since at the time for all they knew Young was laying there dying. Lt?/Sgt? Scott was just a newbie to the project. And the IOC would need several committee meetings to decide anything.
He could be lying, or he could be telling the truth. The problem I have is that, at present, Col. Young appears to be taking Rush's word for it that Rush is in charge when it would probably take about 3 minutes for him to verify the situation with his commanding officer on Earth. I can't see this happening in real life. Especially since he himself didn't believe it at first, added to the fact that the IOA rep present wants confirmation as well.

Sure, Rush is probably the right person for the job, but I can't see an Air Force Colonel taking a civilian's word for it when it comes to orders allegedly coming from an Air Force General. It would take Young all of a few minutes to verify those orders.

EDIT:
Then again, thinking about it, they ARE on a timetable to certain death from lack of air, so Young could have decided that now's not the best time to wage that battle.

EDIT2:
By the way -- worst shuttle pad airlock design ever.

Also -- why would the Alterans/Ancients send a ship meant to be unmanned on its way with the life support system activated so that it can wear out?

Last edited by FKnight; October 4 2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old October 4 2009, 06:45 AM   #362
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Who said it was sent with the life support system active?

We don't know. Maybe we aren't the first to board the ship?

Maybe the life support wasn't on, but the compound used to scrub the air simply wore out due to the time involved here?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old October 4 2009, 06:48 AM   #363
FKnight
Commander

Brent wrote: View Post

Maybe the life support wasn't on, but the compound used to scrub the air simply wore out due to the time involved here?
I'll buy that.
Old October 4 2009, 07:32 AM   #364
kNkg
Lieutenant Commander

I don't get what the problem is. Once Young was up and running it was clear he is in charge.

KK
Old October 4 2009, 08:08 AM   #365
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

I hope SyFy's taking hulu, itunes, and dvr ratings in account as well since anyone who watches their channel would be in that tech/web saavy category.
Old October 4 2009, 08:29 AM   #366
Peter the Younger
Commodore

kNkg wrote: View Post
I don't get what the problem is. Once Young was up and running it was clear he is in charge.

KK
That's how I saw it - Rush tried to pull that "I'm in charge" crap, and not only did everyone say screw that, most of them made it clear they don't trust him and don't like him. Colonel Young has simply decided this isn't the best time to call the guy out, considering they are in dire straits. He's in charge, and it's clear by the end of Part II that everyone, including Rush, accepts that.

I'll lay odds that after the crisis is over, Young will call Rush into a small chamber, and have they will have a "come to Jesus" meeting.

Old October 4 2009, 08:43 AM   #367
FKnight
Commander

Anyway, I liked it. Watched it again on Hulu today. Can't wait to see how this series goes.
Old October 4 2009, 11:12 AM   #368
Australis
Writer

Gave it a 6, though probably a little generous.

Rush. Why did they choose the Brit guy for the role? Because he's going to be an unpleasant bastard. Maybe even treacherous.

Why has no one mentioned the possibility that HE was the one that called down the Lucien Alliance upon them? He definitely has an agenda of some kind. And do we know he was actually using the stones to contact SGC? The guy he swapped with looked like the geeky scientist from SG1, but we don't know where he was exactly.

It seems they've split McKay's character into Eli and Rush.

I didn't mind the mixing up of the timeline at the start, mad e a change from linear stories They did a little of this at the start of FlashForward.

Angry Solider seemed a bit too much like Ford for me. But all the characters are at the start of their stories, hopefully they'll grow.

I like it because it has possibilities, and has a more mature feel.

For those saying the miusic was very Firelfly. I was more reminded of the music for a Dr Who 2 parter, 'The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit'.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old October 4 2009, 12:40 PM   #369
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed it and I have never been a fan of stargate, I have seen maybe 5-6 episodes of SG1 and maybe 2 episodes of Atlantis and I thought they were terrible. I thought Universe was great will be onboard for the rest of the season

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
Old October 4 2009, 02:14 PM   #370
Snaploud
Admiral

The episode was fairly bland. It's a character-based drama without likeable/sympathetic characters (except maybe Eli). I'll give it a 7/10.
Old October 4 2009, 02:51 PM   #371
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Icarus Base? ICARUS Base?

Good Lord. You'd think someone somewhere in the Military would have read that myth through to the end. NOTHING with the name "Icarus" has any chance of ending well...

As for the senator -- I'm used to seeing that actor play sleezy, douchebagish characters, so when Carter asked how the Alliance found out about Icarus Base, my immediate thought was there was a mole in the Base, and that mole was the senator. I was soooooo surprised when (1) he turned out not to be the mole, and (2) he made that incredible sacrifice which was so out of type for the characters he usually plays. Nice bit of "gotcha" casting on the parts of the producers.

Oh, and my friends are all calling this Battlestar Voyager.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
Old October 4 2009, 03:04 PM   #372
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post

Not only that but the scrubbers had to start working overtime considering a bunch of people just showed up exhaling carbon-dioxide.
Old October 4 2009, 03:06 PM   #373
Scout101
Admiral

Interesting so far. Never really watched much of the previous series, except for a random episode of SG-1. Thought that with a new series starting, I could try and get onboard with that one. Like it so far...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old October 4 2009, 04:06 PM   #374
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I'm impressed.. slightly.

It's as far from usual Stargate as possible.. darker, sex and violence and a sense of loss.

It was tense and the characters were mostly ok.. asshole scientist, inexperienced young soldier, maniac soldier and arrogant politician.

The one who really got on my nerves though was the guy who solved the "puzzle".. annoying as hell. I can see that he's the total newbie but then this charm quickly fades and he is just annoying. However i loved the scene when he gets the Stargate primer.. hours of video about the entire thing and later on he gets to know that it was just one video amongst others..

So let's see how this show develops.. many shows have very strong openings only to drop sharply.. Voyager for example which has a similar basic principle and fucked it up completely.
Old October 4 2009, 04:13 PM   #375
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Did anyone get to see Part II?

All we got was Part I twice a row here. RCN Cable near Boston, I fucking hate you.