Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 30 2009, 03:15 AM   #31
RichMerk
Captain

View RichMerk's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RichMerk Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RichMerk Send a message via Yahoo to RichMerk
Re: Sci-fi book recommendations?

The John Grimes series by Bertram Chandler. Space Opera at its best. Follow John all the way from Lieutenant to Commodore to Rim Runner. Bubble helmets and bikini-clad space vixens.
RichMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 03:17 AM   #32
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Iain Banks (without the middle initial that indicates SciFi) has just released his new novel "Transition".

It sounds a bit like 'fantasy' - I wonder if I should try and see what he makes of that genre...
Old September 30 2009, 04:16 AM   #33
Davros
Fleet Admiral

The Deathworld Trilogy by Harry Harrison.
Old September 30 2009, 09:33 AM   #34
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Of course... even if I do find most of Clarke a quite tedious read.
He keeps repeating lines and generally writes as if he thinks his readers are idiots... but of course that's just my HO.
I've never noticed either of those things. In fact, he writes directly to an audience that he assumes to be intelligent and well educated, as most SF writers do.

RichMerk wrote: View Post
The John Grimes series by Bertram Chandler. Space Opera at its best. Follow John all the way from Lieutenant to Commodore to Rim Runner. Bubble helmets and bikini-clad space vixens.
I could use a little of that.
Old September 30 2009, 09:45 AM   #35
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Of course... even if I do find most of Clarke a quite tedious read.
He keeps repeating lines and generally writes as if he thinks his readers are idiots... but of course that's just my HO.
Honestly, of the traditional trinity - Clarke, Asimov and Heinlein - I'd consider Clarke easily the best and most readable. Asimov has much better ideas than he has prose, and Heinlein, well, he's a 'where to start' sort of guy.
Old September 30 2009, 12:56 PM   #36
Australis
Writer

I saw Banks's 'transition' in the bookshop, looks pretty cool.

If you haven't read any Culture novels, let me throw a few Ship names at you (Ships have their own Minds (AIs) and are classed as citizens in their own right, and can so choose their own name):

Nervous Energy
Prosthetic Conscience
No More Mr Nice Guy

Gunboat Diplomat
Just Testing
What Are The Civilian Applications?
Fate Amenable To Change
Shoot Them Later

And some of their chracters are... out there.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 02:10 PM   #37
Scout101
Admiral

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
I just started reading Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. I'm really enjoying it.
Another vote for S.M. Stirling books. Most are generally quite fun reads, although with a bit of a pattern to them. All different flavors of alternate history. Island in the Sea of Time is a great book (and a great trilogy if you want to keep going). Takes a small, modern population (island of Nantucket, off of Cape Cod), and drops them into the distant past, as is.

"Dies the Fire" is the first book in another series, but plays off of the same event. This one stays with our world/timeframe, but all technology stops working (also screws with some chemistry, etc so that guns are out of the picture, essentially forcing people to go medieval/old school). Fun survival/rebuilding/end of the world series.

Hard SF?

Ringworld by Larry Niven (and the sequels, if you like the original).
Another good one. Kinda odd in spots, and when you finish the series, you feel like you didn't really scratch the surface of the Ringworld, but that's only because it's so well built up, with all kinds of crazy history and backstory, and unbelievably massive to boot. Also, you get the Kzinti species involved in the story, so there's a Star Trek connection there as well. Although, in actuality, it's because Niven wrote that episode of TAS (Slaver Weapon), so there's plenty of carry over there, with Kzinti, Slavers, and the stasis boxes appearing in both places...

jadcox@mindspring.com wrote: View Post
And a push for Hyperion and its sequel.
Hell, i vote for all 4. The Hyperion Cantos is a great example of well-done world building, and split into two books of 2, seperated by a few hundred years. That makes it a little more fun, because you get very into these worlds, and then get to go back to those worlds later and examine the differences after the big changes at the end of the first duology. The first 2 books are set up similarly to Canterbury Tales, with a group of very different people on a pilgrimage, telling their stories of why they are going to Hyperion.

This series won all kinds of awards, and turned me on to Dan Simmons' other works, so I'm a big fan.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2009, 02:24 PM   #38
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

Great thread, with some great suggestions. Thanks, Anthony.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned Dune. If I might suggest to those who haven't read it, though, consider stopping after the original; or maybe the first 3. IMHO, they just go downhill from there, but the original is brilliant!

Also, though I didn't really love the Uplift novels, I really enjoyed David Brin's Earth. It has its quirks, but I liked it.

And since no one else seems to have mentioned it, one of my very favorite "non-scifi scifi" novels of recent times was The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell (the sequel, Children of God is pretty decent, as well.)

Enjoy!
Old September 30 2009, 05:34 PM   #39
Mistral
Vice Admiral

RichMerk wrote: View Post
This is fun. I've been collecting the original First Editions where i can.

Davros wrote: View Post
The Deathworld Trilogy by Harry Harrison.
Forgot about these-really worth a read. Fascinating concept and excellent resolution. Lots of fun.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote