Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 25 2009, 03:56 PM   #16
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: Anybody else pickup the TNG Blu-ray Movie Pack?

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
jeez, why not review it before doing the commentary to refresh the old memory
Yeah, I think there should be some sort of rule where they have to watch it the night before they come to record a commentary.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Vader47000
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Checked out the pieces about Star Trek the Experience on the bonus disc.

Oy. The featurette about the closing of the attraction is pretty good. It's basically a behind-the-scenes chronicle of the final day.

There's also video from the attraction itself, both the Klingon Encounter and the Borg Invasion 4-D. Oy, were these a disappointment. I was hoping it would be a virtual presentation of the attraction, complete with the ride film, a la what was done with the Back to the Future ride for the recent DVD of that movie.

Well, what we get wants to be a virtual ride, but turns out to be a heavily edited version of the ride. What's missing? Any footage featuring the cast from the TV shows. And the actual simulator footage is barely shown, summarized in montage form.

I don't mind if we're just supposed to get a flavor of the ride, but the way it's shot it seems like it wants to be a virtual re-creation of it. I suspect that Paramount was too cheap (befitting its reputation) to actually pay for the licensing rights for the actual cast. I hope that's not the case, and that they wanted to save some of the fun if the ride reopens somewhere else.

Speaking of Paramount being cheap, however, might doom any lengthy projects to remaster TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. I suspect the cost benefit analysis will center on how well the remastered TOS sells on Blu-ray.
Vader47000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2009, 11:16 PM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

Why would Enterprise need to be remastered. Wasn't it broadcast in HD Widescreen?

Yep, checking IMDB, it was mastered in HD. Seasons 1-3 were shot on 35mm, but mastered in HD. Season four was shot in HD and mastered in HD. An HD, 1080p Blu-Ray would be easy, and is likely to be out within the next few years. No re-mastering required.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 03:59 AM   #19
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I went to Futureshop to pick up the TNG movies on blu-ray on the Tuesday they were released but they were sold out. The salesperson said that they got 6 copies and they sold out within 2 hours. If that's any indication of demand, then I'd say they should do TNG on Blu-Ray as well (the show I mean).
Old September 27 2009, 08:01 AM   #20
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

I already had all of the SE DVD's, but I have purchased the blurays of 1-10 now as well. I have to say that after the debacle of the original series blu rays, the TNG set is REMARKABLE. I'd have to say after watching the first two, the pic/vid on GEN is very good while First Contact is absolutely flawless! A truly remarkable experience and well worth the upgrade from the SE DVDs.

As a matter of fact, all around, even though some films are transferred better than others (mostly the TOS set where TWOK is the only massive value added), the blu rays are well worth the upgrade, particularly the TNG set which is pretty much reference quality.
Old September 27 2009, 09:48 AM   #21
Jefferies
Captain

I have a short question for the blu-ray owners. What resolution are the movies presented in? If its yx1080 and considering the aspect ratio is 2.35:1, does that mean its actually 2538x1080? That would be pretty spectactular, but maybe I'm getting this wrong?
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 03:14 PM   #22
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's ALWAYS 1920 x 1080.

So the movies are actually only 1920 x 800 or something.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 09:14 PM   #23
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
Why would Enterprise need to be remastered. Wasn't it broadcast in HD Widescreen?

Season four was shot in HD and mastered in HD.
Harvey
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=92792
start with post#6.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2009, 03:37 PM   #24
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

reviews

reviews:

Star Trek: Generations is probably the weakest transfer of the bunch. The use of DNR is somewhat excessive, giving many of the characters that irritating "plastic doll" look. Flesh tones are also considerably off, as everyone looks too red/purple throughout.
The folks at Paramount have given First Contact the Wrath of Khan treatment in terms of the transfer, offering an image that is pretty close to perfect. Pretty close, mind you. The image is a bit soft at times and there are individual shots that seem to struggle, but overall everything is superb. Detail is terrific throughout, flesh tones are thankfully warm and accurate this time around, blacks are deep and inky, and the image looks considerably more natural than Generations.
http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/sttngmoviesbd.php

VIDEO
The biggest inconsistency is the amount of edge enhancement and Digital Noise Reduction plainly apparent here. It isn't consistently ever-present, but when it does rear its ugly head, it's quite noticeable.
AUDIO
Later films - Insurrection, Nemesis - offer more adventurous soundscapes as far as surrounds are concerned (Generations, in particular, is pretty darned front-and-center),
4 page review
http://www.dvdfile.com/reviews/revie...ction-bd-86325

http://trekmovie.com/2009/09/26/revi...u-ray-box-set/
Old September 28 2009, 09:46 PM   #25
Shakaar
Captain

I gotta disagree to some extent. I thought the Generations transfer was just as excellent as the others. The flesh tones seemed perfectly fine on my set and I didn't notice the "plastic look" at all. Hell, I could see the individual pores on Data's face and he's always looked sort of plastic to me. The only "soft" imagery I noticed was in Picard's nexus dream and I think that is intentional.

As for the audio, my back speakers got a workout, especially during the space battle and subsequent crash! Overall, I've been really impressed with the transfer of all four movies.
Old September 28 2009, 11:07 PM   #26
STR
Captain

Didn't buy this or the TOS set. I'm waiting for a special edition, by that I mean a recut of Nemesis with some of the dramatic scenes put back in.
STR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 06:23 AM   #27
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: reviews

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
VIDEO
The biggest inconsistency is the amount of edge enhancement and Digital Noise Reduction plainly apparent here. It isn't consistently ever-present, but when it does rear its ugly head, it's quite noticeable.
Dammit! ...sounds like the same crap we saw in the TOS collection. I'll still be curious to see what High Def Digest has to say, not to mention my own eyes.
Old September 29 2009, 08:57 AM   #28
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Which means exactly what he implied. TNG, DS9 and VOY live action scenes have been shot on 35 mm film. Just like the movies. So all they need to do is to change the visual effects sequences. That's a lot of work for 21 seasons, but it's possible.
No, I don't think you quite understand the magnitude of what has to be done.

35mm film episodes of TNG, DS9, and VOY do not exist.

The live action was indeed shot on 35mm. But to save money they had the episodes edited on videotape. Meaning the only complete, edited episodes that exist are on videotape. There's no possibility of making that HD. DVDs upconverted on blu-ray is as good as those shows will ever look.

The only way to make TNG HD is to go back to the original film. We're talking film that is not edited together -- filmed scenes which were used, scenes which weren't used, etc. Remember, no completed edited episode exists on film. You'd have to practically put TNG back into postproduction and do it all over again almost from scratch, editing all the episodes again -- assuming you can find the right takes that perfectly match the already existing edited audio, music, and sound FX. TNG's post-production took seven years the first time. How long do you think it would take this time? Without some sort of guide to help a production team figure out which scenes go where, they have a daunting challenge. Redoing the FX is the least of Paramount's concerns.

Transfering TOS was nothing compared to what TNG, DS9, and VOY would entail. TOS episodes were edited onto film, meaning all that had to be done was to clean up the film and transfer it.
Old September 29 2009, 01:52 PM   #29
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

hamudm wrote: View Post
As for ENT, the show was shot on HD video cameras; however, the CGI was rendered at 480i. So only the CG elements need to be re-rendered and re-edited into the show.
No, the Enterprise effects were not rendered at 480i. They were done at full HD resolution but downgraded for standard def DVD and non-HD broadcasts. (The show is shown in native HD on channels like HDNet) Full HD masters exist. That show could be released, on Blu-Ray, in full HD, right now.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2009, 02:49 PM   #30
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Enterprise on Blu-ray

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
No, the Enterprise effects were not rendered at 480i. They were done at full HD resolution
Mr. Laser Beam and hamudm you are both wrong. This post has a source.
This was the case for at least season 1 and possibly season 2-3.
If you wish to continue this off-topic discussion I would suggest discussion under
Star Trek: Enterprise seasons Blu-ray spec. features wishlist
thread.