Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 27 2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Audio Drop Outs On Original Blu-ray Episodes-Seamless Branching Issue

I've recently watched episodes from the new Blu-rays of seasons 1 and 2 on Playstation 3s. One is an original PS3 and the other is a new slim model. Both are running the latest firmware. Watching the episodes with the original effects and the original mono track, I get drop outs during the seamless branching on both players running two different systems. It was very noticeable at the start of "Miri" and a line of dialogue was dropped out in "Who Mourns for Adonais?".

I don't recall this happening using the older firmware, when I went through all of season 1 a few months ago. Re-visiting those discs and watching the new ones though has brought this issue to light. It's a common occurrence and tends to happen after an effects shot. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, what player are you using? If not, again, what player are you using?

Again, I've only noticed this while viewing with the original effects and the original mono tracks. I'm not interested in feedback regarding the new effects and the 7.1 tracks. Thanks!

Neil
Old September 28 2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Re: Audio Drop Outs On Original Blu-ray Episodes-Seamless Branching Is

First I've heard about the problem w/ PS3s, but it's been discussed here several times before w/ other brands. Notably, the problem happens w/ Samsung players as well. I have two older dual players, Samsung and LG (both apparently use the same chip), and they both exhibit the problem. Unfortunately, there won't likely be any FW upgrades to these babies.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

I notice that when the episodes start or a chapter break, the audio takes a couple of seconds to come up, and it fades in. But if I skip back to the start, it's fine. But I really don't want to have to do that...
Old September 30 2009, 08:46 PM   #4
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I notice that when the episodes start or a chapter break, the audio takes a couple of seconds to come up, and it fades in. But if I skip back to the start, it's fine. But I really don't want to have to do that...
I'm having a similar problem with the season 2 discs on my Panasonic BD30 player. I haven't tried the mono tracks, just the stereo tracks, and it happens only at the beginning of an episode. I have all firmware updates installed on the player.
Old October 12 2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Actually, I made some adjustments to my audio receiver, finding the right mix until it seems to work better.
Old October 12 2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
First I've heard about the problem w/ PS3s, but it's been discussed here several times before w/ other brands. Notably, the problem happens w/ Samsung players as well. I have two older dual players, Samsung and LG (both apparently use the same chip), and they both exhibit the problem. Unfortunately, there won't likely be any FW upgrades to these babies.

Doug
Actually, after watching some more episodes, I'd describe my players' problem as jumping ahead slightly at the branching points. It's as if a frame or two were skipped, and a bit of the audio/video is missing. It's just more noticeable w/ the audio, because it's often at a point where we hear a fanfare. The video is not as noticeable because the branch is usually between two scenes.

Doug
Old October 12 2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

In retrospect, do these discs even have branching? Is an alternate angle still branching?

Neil
Old October 13 2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post
In retrospect, do these discs even have branching? Is an alternate angle still branching?

Neil
Good question, and I can't answer it, but I can ask another one:
"Is there a (technical) difference?" Maybe branches are actually different angles? I'm sure someone knowledgeable will step in and correct me yet again, and that's fine.

Doug
Old October 13 2009, 11:09 PM   #9
PhasersOnStun
Lieutenant Commander

FYI I've noticed this on my Samsung as well.
PhasersOnStun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 05:11 AM   #10
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Indysolo wrote: View Post

Neil
Good question, and I can't answer it, but I can ask another one:
"Is there a (technical) difference?" Maybe branches are actually different angles?
No, there is definitely a technical difference between the two. You can have branching without angles, and you can have angles without branching.

That said, from what I can discern of poking at the disc structure, TOS uses both; it has separate playlist files for Enhanced and Original Effects, and chooses based on your selection in the menu.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2009, 03:27 PM   #11
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
No, there is definitely a technical difference between the two. You can have branching without angles, and you can have angles without branching.

That said, from what I can discern of poking at the disc structure, TOS uses both; it has separate playlist files for Enhanced and Original Effects, and chooses based on your selection in the menu.
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Doug
Old May 5 2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

I played "Miri" today on an Oppo BDP-80 and while there weren't any drop outs occasionally there was a bump in the audio (mono track, original effects). I had the volume turned up quite a bit to hear this, but no sound cut out, where it had before on the PS3.

The Oppo was hooked up to my receiver via HDMI and the receiver was decoding the audio.

Neil