Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Savior"
SUPERMAN (Excellent) 4 11.43%
Red-Blue Blur (Above Average) 14 40.00%
CLARK KENT (Average) 11 31.43%
Kal (Below Average) 2 5.71%
BIZARRO (Poor) 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 27 2009, 10:45 AM   #121
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Smallville 9x01 "Savior" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

I'm guessing that the Legion ring needs to be specifically programmed to a time period to be used to go to that period. The last time it was used was from the 31st century so I too assumed that Lois went to the Legion period not a year. Dr. Hamilton did point out that there was a temporal anomaly, a rip in the fabric is how he put it to Chloe. Maybe this has something to do with Lois being tossed into the future. What I hope is also explained is why she can't remember anything . Most likely her memories were altered or blocked.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 12:23 PM   #122
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Broccoli wrote: View Post
So, wait. Zod and Friends are clones? Was this established in the episode or is it just fan theory?

Also, is Metallo already Metallo? When Lois stomped on his foot, he didn't really react to it.

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Procutus wrote: View Post
If Souders and Petersen really do have a master plan for the entire season, I'm all for it. I just hope it doesn't result in having to sacrifice Chloe for Clark to become Superman.
I have a feeling though that is the route they're going to take.
That idea has been around for years. End of season 3 - house explodes with Chloe in it. She must be dead! Nope.

It came up again, most predominately, during last season when it was widely reported that two cast members would die, one of which being male and the other's gender being a secret.
OK, this brings me the weakest part of the episode.

Supposedly, for Clark to release his inhibitions and achieve his full power, he has to let go of his attachments to human. There's a kind of sense there, and comes through clearly at the end when Chloe wants Clark to "save" Jimmy.

Clark has so much power, he can't play favourites. He can't save a friend and let a thousand people perish instead. And by the same logic, he can't go back in time and save Jimmy unless he's ready, willing and able to go back in time and save anyone and everyone that could possibly be saved. And of course that's ridiculous to even conceive of.

So Jor El has a good point. Where it becomes totally weak though is that Clark has some kind of attachment to Lois. The Lois Lane he dumped and forgot about last season the second Lana Lang walked in the door. The Lana Lang that Clark would run to in a second if she wasn't encased in a kryptonite suit.

If there is/was anyone in the series that Clark had to let go of in order to move on and achieve his full potential, it was Lana. We've never seen him actually let go of her, walk away of his own choice because he understands that it's going no where and holding him back from, not just his destiny, but even just being himself, instead of being a puppy dog following his mistress around.

His feelings for Lois were still essentially a "work in progress". He likes her. He could finish growing up and reach the point where he can like her, but put his responsibilities to the world first. We haven't seen him reach a "Lana-scale-obsession" with Lois.

So an episode that has a lot of potential to move the story and character forward, falls flat for me. The writers did this themselves, painted themselves into a corner with that unnecessary and abominable Lana arc last season.

Now they seem to be pretending Lana never happened. Good. I think I will too.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 06:58 PM   #123
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Perhaps they are going the route that Clark has let go of Lana since they can't be together at all anymore and he realizes that.
Old September 27 2009, 07:26 PM   #124
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Clark's attachments though are also what gives him his inner strength that is something that Jor-El will never be able to understand. Jor-El is thinking like a scientist where it concerns his son. He's not the passionate young Kryptonian who fell in love with Lana's aunt or whatever when he made his rite of passage journey to Earth as Joe. It's going to be interesting to see how the young Jor-El is portrayed since we only have Tom Welling's performance to base him by.

The writers in Smallville have always created their own problems...particularly the need to reintroduce Lana and wrap up her story line. To me I'm ignoring the whole Kryptonite woman arc and Lana left Smallville for Paris or wherever with the DVD breakup. That arc should have never happened...I wonder who requested it. I doubt that Kristen really wanted to come back for it since she had been spouting off about her dissappointent prior to that and discontentedness with the role even after the wedding to Lex.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 09:48 PM   #125
Othello
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Othello wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

Even with the sweaty cleavage?

Eh.. her admittedly great cleavage still doesn't compensate for her annoying personality.
Says the guy who loved Lana.

Yup. And would love to have Lana back on the show.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 09:50 PM   #126
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Oh gosh no, best thing ever to happen to Smallville was Lana going away

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 09:55 PM   #127
Othello
Commodore

BTW- if The CW was smart they would move Smallville from friday nights to the wed 8 pm (CST) The Beautiful Life slot since that show was cancelled.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2009, 10:20 PM   #128
nx1701g
Admiral

BTW- if The CW was smart they would move Smallville from friday nights to the wed 8 pm (CST) The Beautiful Life slot since that show was cancelled.
That timeslot's just as bad as a Friday night slot. It'd be opposite:

ABC: Modern Family, Cougar Town
CBS: Criminal Minds
FOX: Glee
NBC: Law & Order: SVU
Old September 28 2009, 12:38 AM   #129
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that wouldn't be much of an improvement.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2009, 12:57 AM   #130
Procutus
Admiral

I have to admit, it seems kinda weird watching on Friday nights. I reckon I'll get used to it.
Old September 28 2009, 12:59 AM   #131
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

for me Friday works great, this comes on at 8 and then Stargate Universe comes on at 9, so I get to watch both back to back and have a good friday night of TV

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2009, 01:30 AM   #132
dru
Fleet Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
^ I especially liked how the previous day's newspaper (from the train) also said Friday, 9/25. Apparently Gary Hobson lives in Metropolis these days...
Not necessarily a mistake. It was probably the early edition of the Friday paper. In some places I've been, an edition of the newspaper will come out the night before for the next day. I've even seen Sunday papers come out on Fridays.
Old September 28 2009, 01:32 AM   #133
dru
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
This show has way too many half-naked sweaty guys in it.
Are you kidding? That's the only reason to watch.

Old September 28 2009, 01:35 AM   #134
Procutus
Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
for me Friday works great, this comes on at 8 and then Stargate Universe comes on at 9, so I get to watch both back to back and have a good friday night of TV

I agree, that's a pretty decent sci-fi evening, just seems strange that Thursdays are no long Smallville night. It was like... Tradition.

BTW Brent, yes, I most definitely will be there for SGU next week. I haven't been this psyched for Stargate in quite some time.

Old September 28 2009, 03:20 AM   #135
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Just saw the episode. I'll read the comments in a bit, but first, here's what I have to say.

- Looks like they're mimicking The Dark Knight with shots of Clark standing on the ledge overlooking the city accompanied by a score similar to the one you'll find in said movie.

- Good eye candy with Lois "Boobs" Lane. It also looks like they're doing more to put her front and center ahead of Chloe.

- When I saw the promo a few days back, I wasn't thrilled with the casting of Callum Blue as Zod. He didn't seem menacing enough or Zod-like. Having seen the episode, I still feel that way, but I was impressed with what they did to set him up. In his first scene, he gets punched out and knocked uncounscious. Ballsy move for the introduction of a big villain. At that point, I knew they'd do something with that. Then they proceded to establish him as afraid, uncertain and trying to "fake it". That should be interesting.

- I don't remember Zod speaking at the end of last season, but I did notice that they used a line to cover up a change in his voice.

- I'd like to say something about the high-contrast green-filtered look they used for Luthor Manor, but I can't think of what to say other than to point it out and go "Hmmm..." Hmmm?

- The interior of Chloe's clock tower looks too big to be the cap of the building we saw. Just my observation.

- I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote