CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 23 2009, 03:26 PM   #16
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town
Re: Season 3 Blu-Ray: December 15

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Trekfan21 wrote: View Post
Of course, my dream release would be one with the original bumpers, etc...similar to the Twilight Zone Definitive Collection. I love sitting down and watching that. Its as close as I'll ever get to see the program as initially aired.
"Bumpers"?

Commercial bumpers.

That might be fun to see for TOS. Funny, I was just thinking the other day how nice it is to watch my TNG dvds without the bumpers. I used to hate them on my home-taped eps.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Well, TNG had them for every - single - act break. They were annoying. Network shows generally had them at the halfway point ("We will continue following station identification"), then one coming back in from the break. Also you'd get a logog following the opening credits ("brought to you by") and one at the end - two if they did one before previews. They were a real staple of pre-80's TV. I really wish classic shows would keep them on DVD, at the very least in seamless branching. Including things like "In Color!" and so on. The Twilight Zone DVDs are perfect and really capture the feel of the era. They even have quick promos for shows which had run on CBS at that point between the ened theme and the Production Company billboard. Great stuff.
Old September 25 2009, 01:32 PM   #18
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

seigezunt wrote: View Post
so, pre-order on amazon yet?
They're now taking pre-orders: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig...3880977&sr=1-1
Old September 25 2009, 06:29 PM   #19
ahkyahnan
Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Also you'd get a logog following the opening credits ("brought to you by") and one at the end - two if they did one before previews. They were a real staple of pre-80's TV. I really wish classic shows would keep them on DVD.... Great stuff.
I love those kind of things too. The recently released early (pre-Barnabas) episodes of Dark Shadows have the original voiceovers during the closing credits. It's interesting because they always announce what big show is going to be on that evening, and it's usually something I've never heard of...something that maybe only ran one season but was their big news at the time. I'll go look them up at Wiki later. And at the very beginning they have the slateboard showing the VR and Original Air dates.

During one week of episodes, then President Lyndon Johnson's daughter was getting married. The voiceovers for that week advised viewers to tune into ABC that Saturday for complete wedding coverage "in glorious color!" Several scenes that week took place in the Collinsport police constable's office, and for that week only in the background you could see a framed photo of President Johnson hanging on the wall. Next week it was gone. Thought that was a neat touch for a 60's serial.

I agree, those sort of things are great for 'transporting' you back to that era.

Mark
Old September 27 2009, 01:09 AM   #20
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Trekfan21 wrote: View Post
Of course, my dream release would be one with the original bumpers, etc...similar to the Twilight Zone Definitive Collection. I love sitting down and watching that. Its as close as I'll ever get to see the program as initially aired.
To make it even more similar to TZ, they could dig up old footage of Shatner and Nimoy peddling cigarrettes a la Serling in TZ season two. It could be like this:

Kirk: That was certainly a tough scrape we found ourselves in this week, wouldn't you say, Mister Spock?

Spock: Most assuredly, Captain.

Kirk: Well after this little adventure, I need to unwind.

McCoy: Try these, Jim. Kingston Lights. Doctor's orders.

Spock: Captain, I must agree with the doctor. Kingston Lights are the logical choice for great tasting cigarrettes.

All three light up.

Kirk: These taste wonderful, Bones. You know something?

McCoy: What's that?

Kirk: I think I'm ready for our next adventure.

Cut to preview for next week's episode...
Old September 27 2009, 01:12 AM   #21
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Also you'd get a logog following the opening credits ("brought to you by") and one at the end - two if they did one before previews. They were a real staple of pre-80's TV.
Deep Space Nine did this, as well.
Old October 20 2009, 07:51 PM   #22
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

For those interested, it's $79.99 on Amazon now.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 08:05 PM   #23
Grant
Fleet Captain

MvRojo wrote: View Post

It'll be down to $60 by release day.
Season 2 started at $70-something on Amazon and hit $59.99 on the release day.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 10:52 PM   #24
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
MvRojo wrote: View Post

It'll be down to $60 by release day.
Season 2 started at $70-something on Amazon and hit $59.99 on the release day.
I know. And Amazon automatically adjusts the price to the lowest price it was ever at prior to shipping.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 11:31 PM   #25
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

STAR TREK 2nd PILOT Reconstructed

Just came across this.
STAR TREK 2nd PILOT Reconstructed
A compilation of alternate and trimmed footage lasting about 10 minutes. Using The Cage B&W reconstruction as inspiration, I've crossfaded in some of the broadcast footage.
the differences between the unaired and aired versions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORBGSaBZynw
Length: 9:51
The purpose of this video is to highlight differences between versions.

We'll see if the unaired 2nd pilot looks like this on the Blu-ray.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 01:34 PM   #26
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Also you'd get a logog following the opening credits ("brought to you by") and one at the end - two if they did one before previews. They were a real staple of pre-80's TV.
Deep Space Nine did this, as well.

Yes, syndicated shows (and UPN stuff) held onto those for a lot longer. Voyager did it as well. As in the old days, the studios would commission misuc for these bumpers and billboards. Lost in Space actually updated theirs in the third season to a very nice, jaunty five second piece by John Williams. It's available on the recent 2 CD release of music from that series.

Ahhhh, the good old days...
Old October 22 2009, 07:37 AM   #27
KirkSpockTOSFan
Captain

Location: I will not allow you to lecture me about the merits of emotion

I'm excited about Season 3 of TOS comming out. I'm looking forward to seeing my other favorite episodes which is on that season. I really like Spock's Brain, All Our Yesterdays,Day Of The Dove. Right now I got those on my iphone that I bought from itunes. I like to see them on bigger screen rather than just a little screen like my phone and comptuer.
Old October 22 2009, 04:19 PM   #28
Grant
Fleet Captain

I am really glad they are including the alternate version, but............

Looking at that youtube link----of the 9:51 running time you're getting about less than two minutes of new footage---less than 45 seconds if you exclude the opening and closing credits and less than 30 seconds if you exclude the litle 'act II' overlays and one (1) actual new line of dialogue.

It's nice to have, but not really any great addition to star trek lore.

I mean in 1986 when they aired the uncut 'Cage' we saw about 15 minutes of new footage. That's an alternate cut.

Last edited by Grant; October 22 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 04:31 PM   #29
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

But it's still an alternate version that is, in some small ways, superior to the aired. VERY small ways, I grant you...Grant. Such as the full coverages of the fight at the end, which had the more "brutal" knee-blows replaced by Dehner reaction shots. None of this, however, changes the episode to any great degree. In fact, the aired version is moe than great as is. But it's also a nice look at a format we never saw (Act I, and so on).

Besides, The Cage isn't an "alternate cut", it's a "restored cut" since without those scenes, the episode wouldn't exist at all other than as footage in The Menagerie. The WNMHGB cut IS truly an alternate cut, since it includes different music, additional shots, scenes and lines.

I agree, it's not like finding a 90 minute cut of the episode, but it is a different version that is historically interesting - but really only to the die hards like me. My wife couldn't care less. :-)

Actually, I've seen stills of Gary Mitchell walking on the bridge with sunglasses, scenes not in the aired or unaired episode. I assume the full scenes are long gone, but it would have been interesting to see how that played out.
Old October 25 2009, 06:50 AM   #30
Hober Mallow
Commodore

I wonder if they'll bother with an HD transfer. I would hope so, but it wouldn't kill me if they didn't. The TZ season one set includes the original cut of the pilot, and it clearly wasn't given the full remaster treatment the other episodes got.