RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,706
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 494
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 23 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Captain America Casting Thread

Since Thor is in the midst of being cast...the latest being actress Jamie Alexander as Sif (I've never heard of her) and since there is an ongoing Thor thread I thought we could turn our attention to Captain America: First Avenger (god I hate that subtitle, why do we need a frakking subtitle??!!!!) and specfically who do you think will be chosen for Captain America? Before his death I really liked Heath Ledger as Steve Rogers/Captain America. Especially his role in Patriot...shave his head a bit into a crew cut and there is your Steve Rogers. I guess we can take this further and cast the rest of the movie as well. Bucky Barnes, Red Skull, etc.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Captain America Casting Thread

I still think Chuck's Ryan McPartlin would be perfect for the role, but Hollywood would probably consider him too old at this point (he was born in 1975).

I think Chris Pine would do well, too, but he'd need to put on probably at least twenty more pounds of muscle first.

Last edited by Skywalker; September 24 2009 at 12:11 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I still think Chuck's Ryan McPartlin would be perfect for the role, but Hollywood would probably consider him too old at this point (he was born in 1975)
That makes him too young to me.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Skywalker
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I still think Chuck's Ryan McPartlin would be perfect for the role, but Hollywood would probably consider him too old at this point (he was born in 1975)
Well, since the Cap movie's going to start with Steve Rogers in World War II, a thirty-four year old actor really isn't too young at all.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

34? Shit, wasn't Steve Rogers in his early 30s when he became Cap?
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 12:38 AM   #6
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I would like Chris Pine as Captain America...I liked him when he was in the running for Green Lantern as well. I agree with the muscle. Wasn't Cap like 19 when he volunteered for Operation Rebirth? He's probably operated in the modern era for ten or fifteen years by now. The movie seems to be divided into two halves, the majority taking place in World War II which in case Captain America should be in his early twenties (given a few weeks for boot camp training) and then the same for the end of the movie since he's frozen in ice for sixty odd years and found by either Howard Stark or Nick Fury (since we see a glimpse of the adamantium sheild in Iron Man we can surmise that they find Cap's sheild first).

Old September 24 2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Ben Sisko3
Commodore

View Ben Sisko3's Twitter Profile

Ben Sisko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 01:11 AM   #8
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I would like Chris Pine as Captain America...I liked him when he was in the running for Green Lantern as well. I agree with the muscle. Wasn't Cap like 19 when he volunteered for Operation Rebirth? He's probably operated in the modern era for ten or fifteen years by now. The movie seems to be divided into two halves, the majority taking place in World War II which in case Captain America should be in his early twenties (given a few weeks for boot camp training) and then the same for the end of the movie since he's frozen in ice for sixty odd years and found by either Howard Stark or Nick Fury (since we see a glimpse of the adamantium sheild in Iron Man we can surmise that they find Cap's sheild first).
Steve would seem to have been in his late teens or early twenties. Not sure how anyone would think he was in his thirties in the early 1940s.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 01:17 AM   #9
Scout101
Admiral

Ben Sisko3 wrote: View Post
The look is there, would have to see his as more than one thing (Kings) to guess at acting chops, different roles, etc.

Visually, looks right...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 02:47 AM   #10
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
34? Shit, wasn't Steve Rogers in his early 30s when he became Cap?
Late teens/early 20s (I think the comics most recently gave his birth-year as 1922, which would have made him 18 when he volunteered for Project Rebirth in 1940.

Between the affects of the serum and the general allowed age range, and actor in their mid-20s is about right. Cap is a bit difficult to cast because the actor has to be convey a personality that's a lot older than the character actually is.

I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'd try to find someone new, I think.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 02:54 AM   #11
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

If he already wasn't Thor Chris Hemsworth would have been among my casting choices for audition as well.

Old September 24 2009, 03:37 AM   #12
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I like Ryan McPartlin too. Maybe Jared Padelecki with blond hair.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 05:30 AM   #13
Thrall
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I like Ryan McPartlin too. Maybe Jared Padelecki with blond hair.
Yeah. Captain Awesome should be Captain America no doubt about it.

I heard a rumor they've already cast the other Winchester as Steve. It's probably bullshit though.
Old September 24 2009, 05:31 AM   #14
Aragorn
Admiral

Can Ryan Reynolds play this part too?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2009, 06:44 AM   #15
Nowhere Man
Commodore

What about Chanum Tatum
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote