The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 21 2009, 02:02 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Cast any actor from any era as your dream Superman cast

Luthor hasn't always been lily-white. The DCAU Luthor is modelled on Telly Savalas, who was Greek, and has a fairly swarthy complexion.

Besides, ethnicity shouldn't be a dealbreaker. We've had the half-Japanese Dean Cain as Superman, the half-Chinese Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang, Sam Jones III as Pete Ross, Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin (a particularly apposite example), Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent, Dania Ramirez as Callisto... heck, we even had Eartha Kitt as Catwoman in the late '60s. (And you could include Halle Berry, though her "Catwoman" was a totally different character, and really, why would you want to?)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 02:32 AM   #17
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Luthor hasn't always been lily-white. The DCAU Luthor is modelled on Telly Savalas, who was Greek, and has a fairly swarthy complexion.

Besides, ethnicity shouldn't be a dealbreaker. We've had the half-Japanese Dean Cain as Superman, the half-Chinese Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang, Sam Jones III as Pete Ross, Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin (a particularly apposite example), Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent, Dania Ramirez as Callisto... heck, we even had Eartha Kitt as Catwoman in the late '60s. (And you could include Halle Berry, though her "Catwoman" was a totally different character, and really, why would you want to?)
Oh, I agree entirely. In fact, I usually like it when productions cast against typical expectations and really do think it keeps things fresh, especially in a long-running property. Obviously, there are some cases where that wouldn't work, but more often than not, no one really thinks about doing it until it is already done.

I was actually thinking of Michael Clarke Duncan when I suggested Tahir.
Old September 21 2009, 02:36 AM   #18
Mr Light
Admiral

Watching the Emmys just now it occurs to me that Jon Hamm guy from Mad Men would make a perfect Superman/Clark Kent. He's definitely got the chin and hair for it!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 07:12 AM   #19
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

mswood wrote: View Post
My favorite Superman surprisingly is Brandon Routh. Out of the character who portrayed him I honestly felt he had pre crisis Clark down (I liked Cain on a more post Crisis take), and I loved that Routh actually looked like he was doing those stunts.
What's the difference between pre-Crisis Clark Kent & post-Crisis Clark Kent?

I'm glad to see some decent love here for Brandon Routh. Count me as another fan who hopes he comes back. He's not my favorite Superman but he's as close as you can get without using voodoo to resurrect Christopher Reeve.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think Julie Christie would be a better Lara than Susannah York, the actress from the first two movies. I've stolen someone's Ma Kent, sorry about that!
That was me. No biggie. That one was the hardest for me to cast. And you're probably right that Christie would be better for Lara than for Martha Kent.

The DCAU Luthor is modelled on Telly Savalas, who was Greek, and has a fairly swarthy complexion.
And Telly Savalas made a cameo appearance in one of the early drafts of Superman: The Movie. Superman would be searching the streets for Lex Luthor and apprehend a bald man, who would turn out to be Savalas.
Old September 21 2009, 01:02 PM   #20
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Post-Crisis Clark doesn't put on the fumbling geek act the way that pre-Crisis Clark does. Post-Crisis Clark is like Dean Cain's portrayal, pre-Crisis Clark is like Christopher Reeve's portrayal.
Old September 21 2009, 02:41 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Pre-Crisis, Superman was the real person and Clark Kent was just a role he played. Post-Crisis, Clark was the real person and Superman was just a role he played. So post-Crisis Clark is less of a "mild-mannered" caricature, more of a fully realized and nuanced person.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 07:49 PM   #22
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I dunno. To me, Superman will always be the real person. Then again, to understand Clark, or Superman, or WHATEVER -- you have to realize that Clark Kent is who he is because of how he was raised by the Kents. They raised him with good morals and beliefs, and that is what makes him Superman -- strip him of his powers, and he's still the same 'ole Boy Scout, who believes in "Truth, Justice, and the American Way". So I guess that makes him more Clark Kent as the real person, and Superman as the secret identity. Hmm. Never thought about that.
Old September 21 2009, 10:03 PM   #23
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I think Savalas in On Her Majesty's Secret Service mode would have been an excellent Lex. A tad obvious perhaps, but his Blofeld is nicely menacing without being as hammy as Donald Pleasance's or as camp as Charles Gray. He could have been equally impressive opposite Christopher Reeve's Man of Steel as opposite Lazenby's 007.
Old September 22 2009, 01:12 AM   #24
Spookman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I've always thought Cary Grant would have made a great Superman.

Same with Gregory Peck. Atticus Finch has a very Golden/Silver Age Clark Kent look to him.
Old September 22 2009, 11:09 AM   #25
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Eva Marie Saint on the set of Superman Returns compared Brandon Routh to Gregory Peck.