Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 18 2009, 07:32 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Underrated Queen songs

"Stone Cold Crazy"--it's just a really solid rock song with an impressively big sound, IMO...
Old September 19 2009, 04:53 AM   #17
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

"Innuendo" is fantastic
Old September 19 2009, 07:50 AM   #18
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Good calls on "Headlong," "Let Me Entertain You," "Mad the Swine," "Scandal," "The Show Must Go On," & "Too Much Love Will Kill You."

Although, honestly my favorite version of "The Show Must Go On" is the one they did with Elton John in 1997 after Freddie's death. You can find it on their "Greatest Hits III" album.

Australis wrote: View Post
And from Queen + Paul Rodgers, C-lebrity, Say It's Not True, and Warboys.
Paul Rodgers, no Freddy, but a great, great singer.
I just got that album. I thought most of it was unremarkable but I really enjoyed "Warboys" & "The Cosmos Rocks."

Pingfah wrote: View Post
The Prophet's Song is oft overlooked, perhaps overshadowed by being on the same album as Bo Rhap, but it contains an absolutely brilliant vocal solo by Freddie Mercury, one of the best bits of harmonised melody Queen has ever come up with.
You're probably right that it gets overlooked because it's overshadowed by "Bohemian Rhapsody." Plus, it's nearly impossible to put it on the radio. "Bo Rhap" is so long that it's pushing it as it is and "The Prophet's Song" is 3 minutes longer than that.

Foley0402 wrote: View Post
Of those songs, the one that gets no airplay on classic rock radio here that I personally love is "Don't Stop Me Now". I'd never heard it until "Shaun of the Dead" and kind of love it.
I love that scene. "Kill the Queen!"

Every movie is better with Queen music. That's probably why Highlander has lasted as long as it has.
Old September 20 2009, 03:38 AM   #19
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Tenement Funster
Death on Two Legs
'39
Good Company
Let Me Entertain You
Dragon Attack (the song's kind of a throwaway, but that guitar solo... )
Old September 20 2009, 02:05 PM   #20
Pingfah
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post

I just got that album. I thought most of it was unremarkable but I really enjoyed "Warboys" & "The Cosmos Rocks."
I don't think it is a bad album, but it's just not what I wanted to hear from Queen save a couple of tracks. I'm a fan of Queen and Paul Rodgers as separate entities, and in fact have been to see Paul Rodgers back when he was a little podgy guy in the 90s

The whole Blues Rock thing just doesn't suit them though, their music has always had much more depth than is demonstrated on The Cosmos Rocks. But it's a solid rock album in it's own right IMO.

That's over now though, they have parted ways and don't plan on making another album. I'd like to see Brian and Roger continue to make music together though. If they could just get John Deacon to do a song or two with them, that would make my decade.

Warboys has absolutely god awful lyrics, have you read them?

You're probably right that it gets overlooked because it's overshadowed by "Bohemian Rhapsody." Plus, it's nearly impossible to put it on the radio. "Bo Rhap" is so long that it's pushing it as it is and "The Prophet's Song" is 3 minutes longer than that.
True, radio stations don't tend to play album tracks over here anyway.

I was interested that you called The Miracle an underrated album though, it was a massive hit here, not as big as A Kind of Magic, which (USA aside) was an absolutely monsterous hit and put them pretty much at the top of the rock world globally in '86, but it's a well thought of popular album here that spawned many hit singles.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 02:34 PM   #21
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Breakthrough

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 08:04 AM   #22
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I was interested that you called The Miracle an underrated album though, it was a massive hit here, not as big as A Kind of Magic, which (USA aside) was an absolutely monsterous hit and put them pretty much at the top of the rock world globally in '86, but it's a well thought of popular album here that spawned many hit singles.
What I mean is that, of all the songs on "The Miracle," only "The Miracle" seems to have made it onto their various greatest hits albums, whereas I'd say nearly every track on it is greatest hits worthy and is probably the most consistent, deep album they've ever done. "A Night at the Opera" has a greater number of outstanding songs but also a few tracks that kinda make me go, "Meh."
Old September 21 2009, 10:28 AM   #23
Australis
Writer

I'm a fan of Queen and Paul Rodgers as separate entities, and in fact have been to see Paul Rodgers back when he was a little podgy guy in the 90s
You do know Rodgers is the voice of Free and Bad Company I assume? The Firm (with Jimmy Page, not the Star Trekkin' one) had a couple of good songs, as do his solo albums.

The Queen + projects aren't meant to sound that much like Queen - how could they? But I'll try anything they want to make.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 05:00 PM   #24
Pingfah
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post

What I mean is that, of all the songs on "The Miracle," only "The Miracle" seems to have made it onto their various greatest hits albums, whereas I'd say nearly every track on it is greatest hits worthy and is probably the most consistent, deep album they've ever done. "A Night at the Opera" has a greater number of outstanding songs but also a few tracks that kinda make me go, "Meh."
Ah yes, I forget you guys get different GH albums. Of the 5 singles from the Miracle, the only one that didn't make it onto the Euro Greatest Hits II album was Scandal.

I think the whole of their 80s output is underrated by the USA, besides perhaps Another One Bites the Dust. They seemed to go off Queen right around the time he grew a big moustache and started appearing obviously gay. Hmmmmmmmm....

They never toured the USA again after 82 (until Q+PR), the demand just wasn't here.

Australis wrote: View Post
I'm a fan of Queen and Paul Rodgers as separate entities, and in fact have been to see Paul Rodgers back when he was a little podgy guy in the 90s
You do know Rodgers is the voice of Free and Bad Company I assume? The Firm (with Jimmy Page, not the Star Trekkin' one) had a couple of good songs, as do his solo albums.

The Queen + projects aren't meant to sound that much like Queen - how could they? But I'll try anything they want to make.
Yeah same here, i'll always give them a fair chance.

And yes, it was through those bands (Free, Bad Company) that I decided I wanted to see Rodgers play solo. I like his stuff, but I think his influence rather overpowered the whole affair. It sounded more like a Paul Rodgers record with Brian and Roger playing back up.

Not that that is a bad thing, but you have certain expectations when a record is branded with the Queen name. I just expected more variety.

I hope they find someone more suited to the "Queen" sound and try again, but I doubt it will happen actually. I think this album flopped masssively compared to their expectations, and I think the reaction of Queen fans hurt them as well. Brian May has taken the criticism quite badly.

That said, I went to see Q+PR on the first tour they did, and it was a truly amazing show, absolutely brilliant. Fantastic live act.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote