Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 2 2009, 09:29 PM   #91
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

He couldn't read, had the I.Q. of pocket lint and tipped "cows" for fun. So yes, double standerd still stands.
The further we hurl into the 21st Century, the more it can be said to be a double standard.

The origins are clear though. The stereotypes targeted differ in this respect: unflattering stereotypes about African-Americans were used to reinforce negative ideas about an entire race from the majority who held the social/economic power, came in little contact with them and viewed blacks a monolithic whole. This in turn played out into real life to become harmful to individuals of that race based on views held about them from these constantly reinforced negative portrayals.

Unflattering stereotypes about whites were a comment on a specific subsection, or individual, but was never used to make assumptions about the group as a whole. The white majority never viewed themselves as all the same.

So, the question is: are we far enough along and sophisticated enough to understand that negative portrayals of a religion/race/ethnic group is not a comment on the whole?

If the answer is yes, then no harm done by these portrayals.

If the answer is no, then people becoming upset is to be understood*.

*this is assuming there is anything offensive about them in the first place. I have not seen them, so I can not comment.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 09:36 PM   #92
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Indeed. A rural, Southern white person can choose not to act like a stereotypical redneck. Michael Jackson notwithstanding, black people can't choose to change their skin color, so in the final analysis, it's a false comparison.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 09:46 PM   #93
Aragorn
Admiral

The whole racism thing with Jar Jar Binks was just something overblown by people who look to find racism in everything, who aren't happy unless they're offended. It's like when the protest groups cry offense at Native American sports mascots and somehow they speak on behalf of the Native Americans who aren't offended by the mascots.

Skids and Mudflap were more noticeable, but do you take into account that one actor was white and the other was black? Does the black actor have no say in the nature of his own performance? Does it matter if the actors were doing a lot of ad-libbing and going off with the characters? Yet the simple fact is that they are robots. When you have white characters acting all gangsta like in Havoc or Alpha Dog, is that racist toward blacks?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 10:56 PM   #94
Teelie
Vice Admiral

It's not about blacks specifically though. That is the false assumption. The twins were spoofing urban black youth, and a specific subsection of it at that. I've never known anyone who acted as much like a urban ghetto or a country redneck as these two examples were played as. I've lived in the city and in the country and I've known both blacks and whites who leaned towards the stereotypes but neither was a full-on stereotype. It's still unflattering either way but since it's still more acceptable to dismiss racism against whites, it's just written off like the above.

You can't go and say one is about a particular race when it's clearly not, then turn around and say the other is about just a specific subsection of another.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 03:06 AM   #95
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

SUBSET. if you have a race: White, and a group: Jewish, from a place: Florida, who happen to be: Old --- and there are two robots acting and talking like two old white jewish men from florida, is that racist?

If not, then automatically two "urban youth" robots aren't

Those robots seem really smart, obviously stereotypes of korean school children, shame.

Get over yourselves.

T'Girl
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 03:39 PM   #96
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Hear, hear!

I am sick of this notion that only white people can be racist. It's as if black people and Asians are all accepting and welcome everybody with open arms into their neighbourhoods/countries.

The worst kind of hatred is self-hatred and white people seem to be full of that these days while they bend over backwards to apologize for PERCEIVED wrong doings against every ethnic group around.

It sickens me.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 04:07 PM   #97
iguana_tonante
Admiral

By the unholy power of thread necromancy, exhausted topics shall rise again!
Old September 21 2009, 05:45 PM   #98
Dr. Chandra
Captain

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure … America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.' - Senator Barack Obama, 2006
Dr. Chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 06:15 PM   #99
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Damn, get a gun and shoot the thread in the head before it bites you and turns you into a zombie.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 10:56 PM   #100
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Tulin wrote: View Post
I am sick of this notion that only white people can be racist. It's as if black people and Asians are all accepting and welcome everybody with open arms into their neighbourhoods/countries.
Ayup. We've all heard of the Nation of Islam, but there's others. For instance, the Black Israelites. I see groups of them every so often on the streets of NYC. There's some vitriol there that would put the KKK to shame. Fortunately, everyone else ignores them.

Dr. Chandra wrote: View Post
So would the Thundercats call this "thread-ra"?
Old September 22 2009, 01:47 AM   #101
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

People just need to learn to take joke, and develop a thicker skin. Anyone with half a brain knows stereotypes are bull after all.
Old September 23 2009, 03:15 AM   #102
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

If a stereotype is based on foolishness, then it's low pressure air.

If it actual applies to an individual, then it's observation.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote