Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 7 2009, 03:35 PM   #211
MaxPower
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

TNG Remastered I say in 20 more years or when TNG is 40 years old.

For a remastered TNG I would love to see some new ships not the 40th Excelsior or Miranda. More importantly I want to see no more shots of the 4 foot model. It is so very clear in season 3 and later when the 6 footer model was used and then the fat bottom 4 footer was used.
MaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2009, 01:51 PM   #212
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

MaxPower wrote: View Post
TNG Remastered I say in 20 more years or when TNG is 40 years old.
Wow you really think they will wait another 20 years? That is a LONG time! I think they will of least attempt a Fan Collective set in the next couple years to see how it turns out and how the sales are.
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2009, 08:12 PM   #213
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Something just occurred to me.

Generations is about to be released on blu-ray. I had forgotten that there was one TV series stock shot of the ship reused, yet it didn't look like crap on the big screen and will presumeably be in high definition on the blu-ray release. Doesn't this imply there are still film masters of the ship shots at least?
The stock material shot for "Encounter at Farpoint" was made by Industrial Light & Magic. Most if not all of the remaining ship shots were made at Image G. The GEN shot from TNG had been made by ILM. That's not to say that film elements of all the ship shots don't exist. I'm just saying that it's possible that only some -- perhaps very few -- ship shots still exist on film.
Old August 8 2009, 08:31 PM   #214
Data Holmes
Admiral

Generations is about to be released on blu-ray. I had forgotten that there was one TV series stock shot of the ship reused, yet it didn't look like crap on the big screen and will presumeably be in high definition on the blu-ray release. Doesn't this imply there are still film masters of the ship shots at least?
Are you kidding? That shot stuck out like a sore thumb because of how crappy it looked compared to the amazing effects work done by ILM in that movie.
Old August 9 2009, 06:22 PM   #215
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Data Holmes wrote: View Post

Are you kidding? That shot stuck out like a sore thumb because of how crappy it looked compared to the amazing effects work done by ILM in that movie.
It looked like crap because Matakovitch, the guy who had to put it together optically (not digitally), had to try to time and wedge it to make the different paint job seem something like the GEN paintjob (impossible to do) AND eliminate a ton of weave in the elements ... it was a total nightmare, and basically just because Berman and Lauritson tried to save half a day of mocon stage time at ILM.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 06:23 PM   #216
trevanian
Rear Admiral

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Destructor wrote: View Post
The TNG remaster folks would have no choice but to change the FX.
Well... redoing digital effects would have no bearing on practical effects, such as Data's facial damage in Thine Own Self.
The 35mm resolution transferred to 1080p would show practical effects very sharply. It also shows flaws of props and makeup that do not hold up beyond 500lines of resolution.
The effects quality in question for many posts on this thread is the early CG visual effects that do not hold up very well in the first few seasons.
The MINIATURE fx from the first few seasons don't hold up well, because a lot of them (the ones with the 2fter especially) looked horrible 20 years ago.
They look like 1985 TZ eps, which for me is worse than most TOS fx in lighting and presence.
Old August 11 2009, 03:10 AM   #217
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Star Trek TNG FX season 1 & 2

trevanian wrote: View Post
The MINIATURE fx from the first few seasons don't hold up well,

They look like 1985 TZ eps, which for me is worse than most TOS fx in lighting and presence.
What are TZ eps? Do you have a Memory Alpha URL link?

By the way I was just watching the special features on season 4's last disc and I checked out the last 2 episodes and man are they unsharp! They just do not compare to Voyager which was only 5 years later and that is due to the telecine used at the time of production and if it were telecined to digital tape in 1990-91. As far as I know they used D2 video format to master to.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2009, 12:38 AM   #218
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek TNG FX season 1 & 2

The MINIATURE fx from the first few seasons don't hold up well,

What are TZ eps? Do you have a Memory Alpha URL link?
TWILIGHT ZONE. Rob Legato, the vfx guy on TNG, was doing similar stuff for TZ a couple years earlier, compositing film elements on video, along with what looks like chromakey stuff.

I don't have to go to TREKCORE or anyplace else to remember how bad some of these shots are. Just look at the end of LAST OUTPOST for the two xmas ornament lookin' ships in front of the planet. Pretty much all the 2ft ship shots look rough to me. A lot of that is the 30fps instead of 24, which always makes it harder to do scale stuff credibly, because the higher frame rate gives it more of a video like presence (if you have ever seen the old movie OKLAHOMA, you might know what I mean ... it was filmed and shown at 30fps, and it has this awful unfilmlike feel.

There was SOME really good stuff. That terrible time squared episode had some really nice work in it that should have been in a better episode.
Old September 21 2009, 02:19 AM   #219
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Here is an update this week from a review of
Star Trek The Original Series: Season Two (Blu-ray) review

He is referring to the TNG feature films being released in Q4 2009 and TOS season 3 on Blu-ray through early 2010:
September 17th, 2009
Once the films and original series are completed, my sources tell me to look for The Next Generation to start sometime late next year. There is even some word at the Paramount Rumor Mill that these episodes might also get an f/x upgrade and even be converted to widescreen. It’s all rumor right now, but Paramount has a lot of Star Trek to churn out Blu-ray revenue from. So, even without the upgrades I’m confident that The Next Generation will soon make it to Blu-ray.
http://upcomingdiscs.com/2009/09/17/...n-two-blu-ray/

Woo hoo! that's Q4 2010. So if they do anything I'm guessing the reality may be 2011 for any TNG release on Blu-ray in any form (entire seasons vs. fan collectives vs. best-ofs)
And it is highly doubtful they would not keep TNG episodes' original aspect ratio of 1.33:1 full frame.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2009, 07:35 PM   #220
ctiq21
Ensign

I hope this is the case. The sooner the better!
ctiq21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 06:32 PM   #221
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Here is an update this week from a review of
Star Trek The Original Series: Season Two (Blu-ray) review

He is referring to the TNG feature films being released in Q4 2009 and TOS season 3 on Blu-ray through early 2010:
September 17th, 2009
Once the films and original series are completed, my sources tell me to look for The Next Generation to start sometime late next year. There is even some word at the Paramount Rumor Mill that these episodes might also get an f/x upgrade and even be converted to widescreen. It’s all rumor right now, but Paramount has a lot of Star Trek to churn out Blu-ray revenue from. So, even without the upgrades I’m confident that The Next Generation will soon make it to Blu-ray.
http://upcomingdiscs.com/2009/09/17/...n-two-blu-ray/

Woo hoo! that's Q4 2010. So if they do anything I'm guessing the reality may be 2011 for any TNG release on Blu-ray in any form (entire seasons vs. fan collectives vs. best-ofs)
And it is highly doubtful they would not keep TNG episodes' original aspect ratio of 1.33:1 full frame.
Yeah, the part of converting it to widescreen is stupid. That ain't happening. You can't just lope off the top and bottom from something shot in full frame.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 09:12 PM   #222
Picard Alpha
Commander

It looked like crap because Matakovitch, the guy who had to put it together optically (not digitally), had to try to time and wedge it to make the different paint job seem something like the GEN paintjob (impossible to do) AND eliminate a ton of weave in the elements ... it was a total nightmare, and basically just because Berman and Lauritson tried to save half a day of mocon stage time at ILM.
I don't think it looked as bad as you're making it out to be... http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...h9/gen0488.jpg
Picard Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2009, 09:40 PM   #223
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Picard Alpha wrote: View Post

I don't think it looked as bad as you're making it out to be... http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...h9/gen0488.jpg
Yeah, I never even noticed.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 01:35 AM   #224
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

MvRojo wrote: View Post
Yeah, the part of converting it to widescreen is stupid. That ain't happening. You can't just lope off the top and bottom from something shot in full frame.
Well, you wouldn't always do that. Sometimes you'd cut only the top, or only the bottom, or a combination of the two. Whatever works for the scene.

That being said: Many shows were intentionally filmed 'loose' such that the total amount of area actually captured on film could be hard matted for 4:3 *or* 16:9. That's basically what they do with IMAX movies. The native ratio of IMAX is about 1.4:1; when transferring an IMAX film to 4:3, they cut off part of the sides, whereas a widescreen version (such as Blu-Ray) has the top and bottom trimmed. No one has ever seen an IMAX film in its native ratio outside of an actual IMAX theater...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2009, 03:19 AM   #225
Trekfan21
Commander

I think what ruined that shot for me were the matte lines. I may be using the wrong time, but the boxes surrounding the ship. They were very visible on the big screen, and it was something that Lucas had already cleaned up on the Star Wars movies, so I was disappointed to see it in a modern Trek film.
Trekfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote