Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 19 2009, 01:58 PM   #136
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

bluedana wrote: View Post
I have a horrendous feeling that Trip being all messed up over his sister's death is just going to be forgotten.
Interesting choice of words.

Tallis Rhul, I'm very happy for you. Imma let you finish, but Trip's loss has one of the best pay-offs of the season.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2009, 03:19 PM   #137
Tallis Rhul
Commander

Then I look forward to seeing what happens

Ever wanted to serve aboard your own ship? Visit Tallis's favourite website here: http://www.starbase118.net - the best Star Trek play by email roleplaying community going!
Tallis Rhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 02:54 AM   #138
scnj
Captain

God, I hated that. "Did Admiral Forrest say what part of Florida was hit?" repeated ad nauseum. NO TRIP! HE DIDN'T! Now get back down to engineering and quit slacking!
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 03:30 AM   #139
Bones
Commodore

Tallis Rhul wrote: View Post
Anyone from the UK who is of a certain age might remember a show called The Old Grey Whistle Test... the idea of it was that a song from the charts would be played and some random grandad from off the street would have to listen and then whistle it back. If he could, then it'd be a hit. If not, it was gonna suck. How the hell is that relevant? My mum (who by the way isn't old and grey, and I'm actually too young to remember that show, am going on a description my dad chucked at me a few years ago) walked into the room and saw this episode.
I'm not old enough to know for certain, but I'm fairly sure the show was named after what was known as the old grey whistle test (which is pretty much as you describe), rather than featuring it itself. I think the show just had music, going by clips of performances I've seen from it. But I could well be wrong.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 06:20 AM   #140
I am not Spock
Commodore

Dane_Whitman wrote: View Post
Initially, I loathed the idea of Borg on ENT. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Regeneration, the first truly satisfying Borg episode in many years. Finally, the Borg were intimidating again. No negotiations, no Queen, no humanization. Great score, excellent production values.
Oh, good times...

I remember being in this forum back in 03, mere hours after the synopsis for Regeneration was posted on Trek Today. Chaos ensued. Things got really REALLY ugly on here for a while.

When the episode actually aired, I surprisingly thought it was the best Borg outing in years.
Old September 20 2009, 06:45 AM   #141
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Man, I wish I was around for the majority of ENT's airing. I didn't show up around here until it was officially canceled in February '05. Those were fun times, too.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 08:20 AM   #142
BeautifulAndTerribleRomantic
love me and despair

Bounty
Great episode.
It was a refreshing change of pace to read comments from someone who liked "Bounty." And realized there was another storyline besides T'Pol's.

The Tellarites. Wow, is their make up better than the tunnel-eyed crap of yore.

bluedana wrote: View Post
I have a horrendous feeling that Trip being all messed up over his sister's death is just going to be forgotten.
Interesting choice of words.
*rimshot*

If you don't know what we're talking about, Tallis, that's a good thing.

Last edited by BeautifulAndTerribleRomantic; September 20 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: sppelllling
BeautifulAndTerribleRomantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 03:06 PM   #143
Tallis Rhul
Commander

Well, planning on making headway through season 3 asap so hopefully I'll find out soon ^^

In the meantime...

The Xindi

Oh God. What did they do to the theme tune? I'm not a Russel Watson fan at the best of times (there are other singers who can sing in tune without having to use a machine... check me out, all controversial), but what the hell was that? The cheesey teen pop version? I will officially be listening to the normal theme tune on my iPod or something to cover up that horrendous assault on my ears if that's honestly going to be the theme tune for the next 2 seasons...

Before I do the dids and didn'ts, I noticed that this episode had a completely different feel than the others. New atmosphere, new season. Good stuff. Feels similar to the anticipation of the Dominion War in DS9 in that I know we're about to go on a huge and dangerous story arc, but not sure how it's going to pan out: I know there will be twists and turns but I can't fathom out what they'll be. Unless I read the back of the DVDs (which would be cheating).

One other thing that struck me was that in a way this felt like Broken Bow, but condensed into 45 minutes and hitting all the spots that the pilot should have hit. You have the alien that the crew need to hunt down, the unfriendly planet, the firefight to get into the shuttle, Trip and T'Pol taking their clothes off for a change and a big unanswered question at the end. Something tells me that if this had been the tone of the original episode and we'd gone on in the same sort of vein (obviously without the Xindi storyline at that stage) that Enterprise wouldn't have been axed so quickly.

What did I like?
-The Xindi council was quite a nice idea and quite new. The special effect species didn't grate, and the make-up was good for the reptilians. Will be interesting to see where they go.
-The actor playing the gross alien with the breathing difficulties. If his character was named I wasn't listening. Good actor though.
-Reed finally gets something to do, clashing with the MACOs will hopefully be a recurring theme.
-Hoshi wasn't forgotten, even if she was only in one scene.
-The urgence of the atmosphere.
-The fact I had a nice lunch while I was watching it (technically not a feature of the episode, but hey, it's my review)

What didn't I like?
-T'Pol is not supposed to be Shirley Bassey. If she absolutely must change outfit every 2 seconds then it'd be nice to see something other than a palette-swapped version of the original. Also, some explanation of what the hell is going on would be nice. One line even. I understand from reading Memory Alpha that she's granted a Starfleet Commission and the rank of Commander. However, at the moment, as far as the story's concerned she is rankless, a civilian, and still operating as first officer and science officer. I know she's not a rankless civilian, but where's the explanation? There was time.
-Phlox has strict ethics on forcing treatment on patients who don't want it, we saw that a number of times. But apparently it's OK to do it with Trip.
-Poo and lunch do not mix. Especially when Trip ends up with a floater on his chin.

Heading back to my place tonight, so this was either the last or second to last episode I watched with my mum, and it's great to have her there because she questions things quite openly. She liked the special effects, but said that it seemed random at times. I think that's fair dos really.

Mum's 5 words: Their boiler suits are mouldy (I think she's talking about the MACOs)
My 5 words: Keep your clothes on Trip

Ever wanted to serve aboard your own ship? Visit Tallis's favourite website here: http://www.starbase118.net - the best Star Trek play by email roleplaying community going!
Old September 20 2009, 03:39 PM   #144
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

T'Pol is not supposed to be Shirley Bassey.
Maybe it would be an improvement if she were. She could sing the theme song instead of Russell Watson.
Old September 20 2009, 04:13 PM   #145
Tallis Rhul
Commander

Now that would be awesome. You reckon they could do a jazz remix?

I love weekends because I can sit down and cram Enterprise down the pipes one episode after another, but for the sakes of not cramming so much info onto at once I'll do a mini review of the next 1 or 2, then we'll be one a day again...

Anomaly

So, Enterprise just became a serial, which is what the writers for previous series were told to avoid...

Interesting episode. The Osarans were cool, I genuinely disliked them for stealing Enterprise's kit. I was chuffed when Archer led a team and they stole most of it back.

I really hope that the coffee Archer spilled in the air stays a regular feature of his ready room for the rest of the season. "Come on in and mind the coffee". I noticed he picked the cup up, so why couldn't he scoop up the coffee? Maybe he didn't want it any more because it was cold.

I also liked how the episode started with a miaowing dog, but they did say things got weird in the expanse

"How can anyone build anything so big?" Well, give me a couple of months and most of the world's lego resources and I'll get busy.

5 words: Archer torturing people? Surely not.

Old September 20 2009, 08:05 PM   #146
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Oi, get your own thread! This is my franchise and I'll defend it to the full extent of intellectual property law!

The rumours of my death have been sadly exaggerated, although it felt very close when I woke up on Monday night/Tuesday morning with my lungs struggling to take in enough oxygen to breath. After 8 days of rest I'm still not completely over the flu, but it is time to get back to work and stop slacking off.

The Andorian Incident (***½)

To be honest, The Andorian Incident is a very "meh" episode that is buoyed up by two things; there is a twist ending and it features the Andorians. Even before I saw TOS or Enterprise I always wished there had been more Andorians on the TNG series and that is one thing that Enterprise delivered upon. Unfortunately this episode fits under the header of being yet another Trek episode where some main cast members are captured and have to plot their escape, and like so many episodes before it that premise drags. You know the episode is in trouble when you have to stretch it out for five minutes by having Archer beaten senselessly for the second time.

Then there's the twist at the end which is something I've always loved. Knowing the evolved and logical Vulcans from the 24th century means that I was completely willing to accept that they were telling the truth, so to find out that they were lying and built a secret spy-station under a monastery was mind-blowing. And it works so well precisely because it is the Vulcans, if it had been the Bolians or some random alien of the week then it wouldn't have had the same effect, but because it is Vulcans acting illegally and spying on people it worked marvellously against type. And I can understand why Archer got so pissed off and handed over the information, it wasn't a strategic long-term plan, it was just a man acting out of anger and exhaustion.

But the most important thing that this episode heralds is some good old-fashioned universe building. Actions here will have consequences, these aliens will be important later, and Shran will take on a bigger role in galactic affairs. This is the first episode since the pilot to try and define this universe, I just wish it hadn't been yet another hostage episode.

Archer did get himself captured, but since he thought he was going to be visiting a peacful monastery I see no reason to judge his decision to go. He did get beaten up twice though.

Archer Abuse: 4
Transporter: 3
Old September 20 2009, 09:17 PM   #147
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
I remember being in this forum back in 03, mere hours after the synopsis for Regeneration was posted on Trek Today. Chaos ensued. Things got really REALLY ugly on here for a while.
Things were continuously ugly in the ENT forum back in the day.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Man, I wish I was around for the majority of ENT's airing. I didn't show up around here until it was officially canceled in February '05. Those were fun times, too.
In retrospect it sounds like fun, but the situation in the ENT forum scared me from registering on this board for a while. Then the urge to be insulted for liking a tv show got too overwhelming, I guess...

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
You know the episode is in trouble when you have to stretch it out for five minutes by having Archer beaten senselessly for the second time.
No, that was a good thing. Seriously, I thought that scene was hilarious and it did get the plot forward.
Old September 20 2009, 09:53 PM   #148
Axesoleve
Ensign

Now that would be awesome. You reckon they could do a jazz remix?

I love weekends because I can sit down and cram Enterprise down the pipes one episode after another, but for the sakes of not cramming so much info onto at once I'll do a mini review of the next 1 or 2, then we'll be one a day again...

Anomaly

So, Enterprise just became a serial, which is what the writers for previous series were told to avoid...

Interesting episode. The Osarans were cool, I genuinely disliked them for stealing Enterprise's kit. I was chuffed when Archer led a team and they stole most of it back.

I really hope that the coffee Archer spilled in the air stays a regular feature of his ready room for the rest of the season. "Come on in and mind the coffee". I noticed he picked the cup up, so why couldn't he scoop up the coffee? Maybe he didn't want it any more because it was cold.

I also liked how the episode started with a miaowing dog, but they did say things got weird in the expanse

"How can anyone build anything so big?" Well, give me a couple of months and most of the world's lego resources and I'll get busy.

5 words: Archer torturing people? Surely not.
In all seriousness, you're totally hijacking this thread and its both annoying me and making me feel uncomfortable, its incredibly rude IMO. You can always start your own if you please.
Axesoleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 10:25 PM   #149
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

I quite liked The Andorian Incident (great title by the way ), it wasn't a great episode, but it was pretty good. I think that giving the Andorians an expanded role was a really good idea - they have a good Trek pedigree without us knowing much about them and they look a bit more alien than the standard rubber forehead guys. I had a feeling where this was going, but the ending was still OK and at least it touched on some interesting issues. I don't mind the idea of deconstructing the Vulcans, but let's hope it doesn't turn them into just another bunch of aliens we can lecture on morality, mmkay?
Old September 21 2009, 02:00 AM   #150
SFRabid
Commodore

Andorian Incident was probably the second most important episode of the first season, right after Broken Bow.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote