Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 15 2009, 09:17 PM   #16
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Is Comcast going to implode?

My job has dish network. When it rains, we lose reception. Plus we don't get local sports teams.

To be honest, as long as comcast dominates sports broadcasts, it'll do fine no matter how much it sucks.
Old September 15 2009, 09:19 PM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

Well, as an occasional Comcast customer, I wouldn't mind it if they imploded. Their cable service sucks, and their internet has always been dodgy. Then again, so was whoever provided the same service in this area before them.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 03:37 AM   #18
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Er, all those things point to Comcast actually doing very well. If they can provide shitty service while making you pay through the nose, business is good.

I hate Comcast, but they seem to be doing just fine.
i dont know.
i just turned in my cable box today and for every person getting equpment there were three or more turning stuff in.

around here comcast service has just been awful.
there was a period of time it was like playing roulette whether the channel you wanted to watch would be on or not.
and they would not prorate your bill for the time that service was messed up.
and pretty par for the course they didnt ask why i was canceling the cable.
Old September 16 2009, 03:44 AM   #19
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

EnterpriseF wrote: View Post
Sheep wrote: View Post
Cancel or downgrade your service if they really piss you off that much. The only way to make them take note is to affect their bottom line. All the bitching in the world means exactly nothing.

I did so after getting fed up with their cable TV prices increasing literally every 4-6 months with absolutely no enhancements that mattered to me. I dropped down to high-speed internet only with them and I've been just fine with OTA HD TV signals for my TV fix.
I was actually going to try the old "I'll switch to the D*sh network" to see if they'll go down in price.
Do it, I did it with Optimum, my cable provider, I mentioned Verizon's TV thing and they cut my bill by a decent amount.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 05:14 AM   #20
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I have DISH network, and it takes a substantially powerful storm to interrupt the service, and then only for the amount of time it takes for the front of that storm to pass. I think as long as it's aligned as well as possible, it's going to be OK.
Never had trouble in the winter, which we've had 2 very bad ones the last 2 years.

I ended up getting Comcast high speed internet for $60/month, only because it's the highest speed option (8mb now). DISH had a sattelite option, but I think it was only 1.5mb (or something like that).

If you're gonna hit a company for their ridiculous or downright stupid commercials, it's going to be a long rant.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 07:50 AM   #21
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I wish so so badly that there was an alternative in my area to Comcast. We can't get satellite because we live in an apartment complex and the signal would not work from our balcony anyway. Comcast is a hugely sucky company and nothing they offer is reliable in any way. I can't even access On Demand 85% of the time...I have to unplug the whole system from the wall and plug it back in then wait 20 minutes to use it. And that of course causes the guide to empty out. Fucking stupid.

The biggest factors in which apartment we choose to live in next time we move will be whether it has a washer and dryer and if it will be an acceptable location for receiving satellite. I love my TV and movies and Comcast is fucking it up.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 12:25 PM   #22
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

pookha wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Er, all those things point to Comcast actually doing very well. If they can provide shitty service while making you pay through the nose, business is good.

I hate Comcast, but they seem to be doing just fine.
i dont know.
i just turned in my cable box today and for every person getting equpment there were three or more turning stuff in.

around here comcast service has just been awful.
there was a period of time it was like playing roulette whether the channel you wanted to watch would be on or not.
and they would not prorate your bill for the time that service was messed up.
and pretty par for the course they didnt ask why i was canceling the cable.
Here is the most recent article I could find, which shows profits are up despite fewer subscribers. Subscribers are declining because we're in a recession, of course, but also because Comcast is jacking up prices. Subscribers were increasing as late as Q1 this year.

This is probably the most interesting part:

The number of (new) Internet subscribers plummeted 77%, and the number of video and television customers dropped as well. Furthermore, ad revenues continued to fall, dropping 20%, as advertisers have been more reluctant to advertise in this economy.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2009, 10:56 PM   #23
Teelie
Vice Admiral

I hate monopolies, especially ones run under inefficient, ineffective and deceitful ones like Comcast's. True few monopolies are ever good or beneficial to their customers but Comcast is an example of a particularly bad one even by the standard.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2009, 12:07 AM   #24
mredom
Lieutenant Commander

I've had Directv for about 7 years now. I have been extremely happy with the price and the service. Do I like everything-no, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I wouldn't subscribe to Comcast if it was the only thing I could get. I would rather just watch dvd's and internet feeds than deal with the Comcast customer service and pricing.
mredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 04:41 AM   #25
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Hate comcast. paying over hunderd for cable and internet. since going to digital ( oh wow ) you now have to use the cable box, which makes it hard to record lots of different channels on the multiple VCRs I use. pain in the ass really.

who has direct tv, does rain interfear with the signal? got trees acrss the street how bout that?
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 06:39 AM   #26
cylkoth
Commodore

Soon, ConCrap-as well as other cable cos, will be reducing basic cable service down to a bare minimum 22 channels, mostly, the local broadcast stations, and a few low rent basic networks. The AVS forum (avsforum.com) is filled with posts from around the country mentioning ConCrap switching to a predominantly digital model, where they provide you with 1 or 2 cheap jack free QAM tuner like boxes to unscramble the Extended Basic tier.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170940
Old September 20 2009, 06:39 AM   #27
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I have Dish Network and unless it is raining like crazy--and I mean raining so hard you're worrying about flash flood warnings--the signal comes in crystal clear. The days where any stray raindrops nuke your signal are long gone. If the dish is installed properly, it takes a damn ferocious storm to knock out the signal, and even then it'll only be until that part of it passes.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 07:38 AM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ What about the dish being physically knocked off your roof? That's always a risk during a storm, innit?

And don't you still have to have two dishes - one for normal service and one for local channels?
Old September 20 2009, 08:01 AM   #29
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Chicagoland area here (DISH). I have 1 dish and get all the locals and the"Americas 200" (or whatever the number is now).

A second dish would only be necessary if I wanted 2 (I think) more local channels (1 Spanish language and 1 low end public TV channel), neither of which I care about. This is due to (for some reason) those routing through a different satellite.

And yeah, it's always possible for high winds to knock anything down, mine is on a 2nd floor apartment balcony, so it's kinda protected.

And like I mentioned earlier, I only lose reception when an extremely powerful storm is first passing through, usually before the rain even starts. Just during that first dark front hitting. It just has to be aligned as well as possible.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 04:49 PM   #30
thedude
Lieutenant Commander

You guys who have Comcast in Chicago, just be happy you don't have to deal with them in Central Illinois. They used to be Insight here until about 2 years ago, and they're still trying to figure all the wiring out. When I first got high speed at my townhome it would go out every time it rained, and every Friday at 5:30 PM, usually until about an hour before the tech could get there Saturday at 3 PM. Then they never found a problem, so couldn't do anything. It wasn't until a senior tech came out from Indiana did they realize this was affecting everyone on the block, and I was the only one calling about it. There was a "standing waveform loopback" in the wire from the main street, and it was cancelling out service for everyone at peak loads...

Oh, and to top it all off, they're closing the Peoria office, so now tech support loads will increase even further.

And to top it off, I'm paying over $100 for 10 Mbit service, with about 25 or 30 HD channels... I don't even watch standard def TV anymore, buy they refuse to offer any competitive deals with what Dish and DirecTV offer with all HD for like $30/month. So I'm just going to cancel TV now that baseball is over and just get all my TV shows elsewhere...
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote