Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 17 2009, 01:19 AM   #2296
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Nice comeback from Arsenal but I thought Week 1 of the CL was a bit of a DUD. I kind of miss the 90's when the group stages were hard to progress from and excited to watch.

I remember the days of

Man Utd vs. Juventus 2 times in a row in the grouo stage and then the 1998 group of Man Utd, Barcelona, Bayern Munich & Brondby.
Old September 17 2009, 12:09 PM   #2297
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I know what you mean. This year isn't too bad to be honest because of all the very solid teams that ended up in pot 2 and there were quite a few good sides in pot 3 too. And Wolfsburg will mess things up I expect. But you can still predict every group's winners and runners-up, mainly because the structure of pot 4 means there's a guaranteed weak team in 7 groups out of the 8.

It's never a popular opinion, but I really think seeding isn't the best way. I know it's to ensure you have the top teams playing each other later on, but I'd love to see a completely random group draw where anyone can get anyone else. It might even kill off the English-Spanish-Italian monopoly on the competition if they get drawn together.

I wouldn't be against a straight knockout competition either, scrapping the groups altogether. The stakes would always be high in every game, thus removing a lot of the duds you get with groups, especially when teams qualify early.

Also if you finish 3rd or 4th in your league, you shouldn't be in a 'Champions League'. Either change the name or amend the structure again. I know that would lead to leagues getting monopolised because of the extra money and TV rights but let's face it Spain and England are already a 2-horse race every year. If you're lucky it'll be 3 teams still in contention by March.

None of the above will ever happen
Old September 17 2009, 12:11 PM   #2298
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I'm all for bringing back the old Champion's Cup, Cup Winner's Cup and UEFA Cup. I've never been a fan of the Champions League.
Old September 17 2009, 06:51 PM   #2299
Iasius
Rear Admiral

So far, congratulations!

(Generally, I'll support any German team this season because we're very close to taking the fourth CL spot from Italy, but I'll make an exception for HSV. )
Old September 17 2009, 07:44 PM   #2300
Iasius
Rear Admiral

I'm just wondering now how drunkl Roger Wilco will be when he checks in.

Commentator just said: "Auch in dieser Saison scheint Grün-Weiß nicht die Lieblingsfarbe des HSV zu sein."
Old September 17 2009, 08:38 PM   #2301
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Wow. How good are Rapid supposed to be again?! In saying that, have Hamburg simply gone downhill since Jol left?
Old September 17 2009, 08:49 PM   #2302
Iasius
Rear Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Wow. How good are Rapid supposed to be again?! In saying that, have Hamburg simply gone downhill since Jol left?
I'd say they (HSV) played above their level in the Bundesliga so far, but it took an exceptionally bad performance, as much as I like Rapid.
Old September 17 2009, 09:29 PM   #2303
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Hahahaha. Who the fuck is HSV?

I'm fucking speechless.

Iasius wrote: View Post
I'm just wondering now how drunkl Roger Wilco will be when he checks in.
Quite.
HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Not that good generally, but maybe they are better than I thought.
Old September 17 2009, 09:57 PM   #2304
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Thank you, Pizarro. I'd better go to bed now, lest I think too much about this game.
Old September 17 2009, 10:14 PM   #2305
Roger Wilco
Admiral

A victory is a victory.
Old September 19 2009, 11:04 AM   #2306
StolenThunder
Poster

I decided to put a (very, very small) amount of money on the football this weekend. I've never bet on sports before. Gambling, eh? How hard can it be?
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2009, 12:49 PM   #2307
Iasius
Rear Admiral

My father is having a competition with a couple of friends on who can predict the Bundesliga results best (just for bragging rights ).

This weekend and next I'm filling in for him since he's away on vacation. So far, out of one game, I predicted the result accurately (Schalke 1-2 Wolfsburg). I hope I can keep this up because this prediction has put him at the top of the list.

I've also thought about betting against my team in international competitions at times when I had to pay Premiere to view the games online (ie pay per view). Basically, I'd pay a bit more if they won, but at least I would have watched the game for free if they lost. I haven't done that yet for reasons related to why I call the lottery a "tax on stupid people" (in economese: the arbitrage price is too high). Also, I can't quite convince myself that betting against "my" team is something with which I feel comfortable.
Old September 19 2009, 05:20 PM   #2308
StolenThunder
Poster

Convincing win for Arsenal today, so I'm pleased about that despite their slightly frustrating inconsistency.

I've also thought about betting against my team in international competitions at times when I had to pay Premiere to view the games online (ie pay per view). Basically, I'd pay a bit more if they won, but at least I would have watched the game for free if they lost.
Hm, I've never thought about doing things that way before. It's a nice idea.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2009, 05:23 PM   #2309
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I've also thought about betting against my team in international competitions at times when I had to pay Premiere to view the games online (ie pay per view). Basically, I'd pay a bit more if they won, but at least I would have watched the game for free if they lost. I haven't done that yet for reasons related to why I call the lottery a "tax on stupid people" (in economese: the arbitrage price is too high). Also, I can't quite convince myself that betting against "my" team is something with which I feel comfortable.
Don't. Betting against your team is bad karma.
Old September 19 2009, 06:38 PM   #2310
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Don't. Betting against your team is bad karma.
Well, so far, whenever I paid to watch Werder Bremen (internationally) it has always resulted in them losing or at most drawing so far. That's why I was considering the betting arbitrage.