Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 13 2009, 02:21 AM   #76
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Re: Mr. Spock instead of Sir or Commander

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Well, the Kennedy was decommissioned two years ago, so who knows what was going on.

I'm still confused why they never refit that boat with a nuclear reactor.
They learned their lesson from Enterprise. It's best to build Nuke ships from the ground up.
Why? Just asking. -- RR
Sorry, missed this the first time around.

Enterprise was designed with old school boiler-tech in mind. Basically they designed and built a steam boiler ship with eight submarine reactor sized reactors shoe-horned in.

Enterprise's engineering plant is an abortion for this reason.

Nimitz was actually designed from the ground up with Nuke-this and Nuke-that in mind. A much better design, IMHO.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The internet's a wonderful thing -- Love getting my facts straight.
Yeah, it can be pretty confusing. Not everything about the military makes the most sense. Luckily you have vets like me who've been there and done that to help explain it for you!
Old September 14 2009, 01:22 AM   #77
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Sweetheart, the navy calls the people in that position helmsmen. The kids in the official navy press release was refered to as either master helmsman or by his rate of quartermaster or quartermaster third class.

... who've been there and done that ...
If you insist on "conning officer", then back it up with something beyond a simple personal statement.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2009, 05:13 AM   #78
Red Ranger
Admiral

Sweetheart, the navy calls the people in that position helmsmen. The kids in the official navy press release was refered to as either master helmsman or by his rate of quartermaster or quartermaster third class.

If you insist on "conning officer", then back it up with something beyond a simple personal statement.
Eh, Chaos is just a cranky old swabbo! Pay him no heed!

I have another possible reason why Spock was most often called "Mister," or just "sir": That's the way he preferred it!

Bear with me here. I got the idea from an early novel, The Entropy Effect, where Spock makes an announcement to the crew. It was an extremely serious announcement, so he referred to himself as "Commander Spock."

Uhura finds it out of character, and remembered that he frequently referred to himself mainly by his positions, either First Officer Spock or Science Officer Spock.

Based on this, my theory is as Spock was raised Vulcan, he's essentially a pacifist, like other Vulcans. Although he's in Starfleet, he prefers to think of himself by his positions and not his rank, with is too militaristic for his pacifist sensibilities, despite the fact he can use force when logic and the demands of the service require it.

Just my two cents, people.

Red Ranger

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2009, 07:21 AM   #79
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I have another possible reason why Spock was most often called "Mister," or just "sir": That's the way he preferred it!

Red Ranger
I believe earlier both Mr. T and the movie "They call me mister tibbs" were brought up. Both are examples of individuals who insist on being call 'Mister' as a show of respect. Gene Roddenberry's future is far from perfect, Spock is a vulcan in what appears to be a service dominated by (white) humans. There is sexism in TOS, and maybe still some specie-ism too.

In addition to being an expression of his non-militaristic pacifist believes, mister is a demand for a open show of respect.

T'Girl
Old September 14 2009, 03:09 PM   #80
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Eh, Chaos is just a cranky old swabbo! Pay him no heed!

Old September 14 2009, 03:09 PM   #81
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I believe earlier both Mr. T and the movie "They call me mister tibbs" were brought up. Both are examples of individuals who insist on being call 'Mister' as a show of respect. Gene Roddenberry's future is far from perfect, Spock is a vulcan in what appears to be a service dominated by (white) humans. There is sexism in TOS, and maybe still some specie-ism too.

In addition to being an expression of his non-militaristic pacifist believes, mister is a demand for a open show of respect.

T'Girl
I agree with this.

Ah, see, my comment in Post #75 was based on misunderstanding what you meant by your comment in Post #74.

I thought "The internet's a wonderful thing -- Love getting my facts straight" was your way of saying, "Ah, thanks for explaining that!" I was clearly mistaken. Therefore, there's no need to start getting combative. I certainly wasn't intending to be condescending, and if I came off that way, I apologize. But since you ARE going that route, I'll say that I prefer my years of actual hands on training and operations over your Google searches.

'nuff said about that.

Last edited by Chaos Descending; September 14 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Chaos Descending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 08:19 PM   #82
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Search was of a official US Navy web-page actual.