RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,679
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 420
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 15 2009, 04:21 AM   #451
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Props Re-used

number6 wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
So, the prop department just got into the habit of keeping the empties?
Meaning they had to dress sets for characters to be drinking all the time. Ever watch Bewitched? "Sam! I need a drink!"
It's also a well documented fact that ST's prop department routinely sifted through the dumpsters of other shows for their props!!
Well, they looked through the dumpsters for interesting looking cast-offs they could use as set dressing or detailing or could use as a prop. I doubt the other show actually threw away anything they thought might be usable. Styrofoam packing pieces are useless on The Lucy Show or Mission Impossible, but make dandy wall details on a starship.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 01:23 PM   #452
klh
Ensign

Rat Boy wrote: View Post
Isn't that the same scanner they put in the Art Asylum Science Tricorder?
I love this thread. I bought the Diamond Select science tricorder, and was bummed that they had made up a scanner to fit the science version. I hadn't realized that it was (loosely) based on a real prop!
klh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 01:28 PM   #453
klh
Ensign

OK, here's a prop re-used question. I noticed the "Tantalus Field" (spelling?) device from Mirror, Mirror was also in a shot in the sickbay behind Amanda in Amok Time. Is it anywhere else, and Greg, do you have a copy yet?

And by the way, are you sure Sulu doesn't have a mermaid clue egg from Harry Potter - Goblet of Fire?

Kevin
Old July 16 2009, 05:08 PM   #454
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

klh wrote: View Post
OK, here's a prop re-used question. I noticed the "Tantalus Field" (spelling?) device from Mirror, Mirror was also in a shot in the sickbay behind Amanda in Amok Time. Is it anywhere else, and Greg, do you have a copy yet?

And by the way, are you sure Sulu doesn't have a mermaid clue egg from Harry Potter - Goblet of Fire?

Kevin
Yes, the Tantalus Field device seen in Evil Kirk's cabin in "Mirror, Mirror"
and used by Lt. Marlena Moreau to make Sulu's security team (but not Sulu
himself) "disappear" is also seen five episodes later in "Journey to Babel."
(It's not in "Amok Time," but I think you just got your Vulcan episode
titles mixed up.) You can, indeed, see it behind Amanda in a couple of
shots. It's on a seldom-seen wall in the "Dr. McCoy's Office" portion of
the four-room Sick Bay set.

I've gone through every episode (which is what I do for fun and games) and
I've never seen this Tantalus Device set piece in any other episode
(although I notice new things every day, so maybe it'll turn up). Also, Dr.
McCoy's Office was redecorated a bit at the beginning of the Third Season.
So, if I do spot this Tantalus Device set piece again in some other episode,
it probably won't crop up in the same spot in Dr. McCoy's Office like it was
in "Journey to Babel."

I/we don't have one of these over on our sets at Star Trek Phase II, mostly
because we don't have Dr. McCoy's office as a regular standing set. If we
ever really needed to show this room, we'd pretty much have to build the set
from scratch--including the Tantalus Device thing (if we show that same wall
that we saw behind Amanda). We'd also need to scrounge up all the proper
skulls Dr. McCoy keeps on his shelves and the odd stuff alligator lizard
that's mounted on the wall and the three small acrylic paintings done by
artist Mike Minor that were added in the Third Season.

When it comes to Sick Bay set pieces, the thing I'm currently working on is
this surgical instrument display cabinet seen in "Space Seed:"

A bit more information about it is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1090112...7601532365516/
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 07:57 PM   #455
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

God help ya if you find yourself needing Engineering.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 09:17 PM   #456
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
God help ya if you find yourself needing Engineering.
Must be a brewery nearby.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 09:53 PM   #457
klh
Ensign

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
titles mixed up.)
How embarrassing! I watched both episodes recently and wasn't thinking.

But as I think about it, it's kinda sad that Amanda didn't come to Spock's wedding. I can maybe understand Sarek not coming, but you'd think Mummy wouldn't miss her boy's wedding day.
Old July 16 2009, 10:39 PM   #458
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Since part of the festivities involve the potential for mortal combat, I think I can understand Amanda taking a rain check on the ceremony and waiting until the reception/notification from the local emergency room.
Old July 16 2009, 11:05 PM   #459
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

klh wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
titles mixed up.)
How embarrassing! I watched both episodes recently and wasn't thinking.

But as I think about it, it's kinda sad that Amanda didn't come to Spock's wedding. I can maybe understand Sarek not coming, but you'd think Mummy wouldn't miss her boy's wedding day.
She thought her future daughter in laws was a bitch, so she claimed to be off planet. Plus there was that drunken Dynasty style cat fight with T'Pau at the last wedding.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2009, 09:51 PM   #460
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

There's an Engineering-related prop we saw only a couple of times that we recently picked up thanks to the hard fabrication work of Mr. David Wardale over in the UK.

The prop is a small, hand-held pice of clear plexiglas with a couple of rods jutting out of the side and some red doohickeys on the handle (much like Scotty's wrench spanner thing).

The first time we see this (unless I can find some earlier appearance at some point) is in "The Ultimate Computer." Mr. Scott and Mister Spock are up in the Jeffereies Tube trying to re-route the M-5 computer. You can just make out in the darkend Jefferies Tube that Spock has this clear tool with the two micrometer-like rods:

We see this tool again in the Third Season (in "Elaan of Troyius") and, again, Mister Spock is using it:

The way he's holding it, he appears to be taking some measurements of the size of the dilithium crystals being inserted into the dilithium crystal converter assembly.

Mr. Scott uses the tool again to hook up the stolen Romulan cloaking device into the deflector shield mechanism:

And then finally we get a look at the red greeblies adorning the handle:

And in its final appearance it seems to be used as some kind of handle or crank-thing to turn a valve of some kind on one of the plant-ons during an "Intruder Alert" in "The Lights of Zetar:"

So, it's not much to look at, but here is our Micrometer-Thing:

It has a clear handle with some engraved lines/markings about every centimeter or so. The business end has a diagonal (not a right angle) cut on it. The two long pins jut out from the side and the handle has ten raised red honey-dripper type greeblies.

I'm not sure when we will get a chance to use this. But I'm sure we'll work it into our productions eventually.

Slideshow is at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1090112...32309901/show/
Old August 18 2009, 09:40 PM   #461
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

There has got to be a way to get a DVD distribution deal with CBS/Paramount.
Old August 23 2009, 04:26 PM   #462
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Folks probably know that I spend most of my time collecting props that are going to be used aboard the Enterprise. I get coffee pots, and engineering equipment, and data card/discs and laser scalpels and stuff like that--mostly because I know we're going to be using them at some point. I don't really spend too much time collecting alien prop doohickeys. I mean, there are some really nice reproductions of those glowing, numbered necklace things the androids wore in "I, Mudd." But what would I do with them? I'd rather spend my money on something that is more likely to be needed.

Nevertheless, once in while something comes along that's just too good to pass up.

Folks might remember that in the very first regular production episode ("The Corbomite Maneuver"), Balok, played by Clint Howard, had a waist-high device from which he could control all the functioning of his ship the Fesarius. He could even order tranya from the ship's food synthisizers. This pedestal-like device had three primary-colored lights in it: red, green, and blue. Here's a shot of it next to Balok on his recliner:

So, here's my reproduction of it:

In fact, this is a "screen used" reproduction. So how was it "screen used" if it's just a reproduction? Well, folks might remember a few years back when Comedy Central did a "roast" of William Shatner. Duing that show, one of the little comedy bits was Clint Howard (now forty years older, of course), dressed up as Balok on his recliner with this red-green-blue control device next to him--making snarky remarks about Shatner This prop I have is that very prop used in that Comedy Central routine.

And actually, this could well be something we might see on board the Enterprise at some point. Sharp-eyed viewers will note that this control device thing actually showed up a second time in TOS: it can be seen in the laboratory way over at screen right in "Operation: Annihilate" sitting on the countertop, back in the shadows. Perhaps it's in the lab because this alien technology from Balok's First Federation is being studied. Or perhaps in our exchange program with the First Federation, technology transfer and exchange has already begun taking place. Either way, this prop is kind of neat because it acts as kind of a bookend: it's in the first regular production episode of the First Season and in the last production episode of the First Season, too.

(I could have sworn I saw this thing another time, too. But I'll be damned if I can find it now. If anyone notices it as you view any episodes, please let me know.)
Old September 14 2009, 01:33 AM   #463
shantke
Cadet

This guy has quite a few props, maybe he has some prop insights. Here is a link to his site:
http://www.startrekpropcollector.com/
shantke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2009, 04:17 AM   #464
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile

Hm couldn't get into the site got an error message.
Rulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2009, 04:25 AM   #465
Red Ranger
Admiral

The best reuse is from one series to another. The golden sash Kor and Kang wore was also Worf's Klingon sash in the first season of TNG! -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote