Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 11 2009, 08:22 PM   #31
JB2005
Commodore

Re: Ships that *never sailed*

^ I always got the impression that was something the writers refused to rule out...
Old September 11 2009, 08:42 PM   #32
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Bertie wrote: View Post
Picard and Pulaski.

An actual, age-appropriate romance for the captain, kinda like Adama-Roslin, but with fewer things like mutinies and coups to get in the way.

um. ewww...

just sayin'
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 08:43 PM   #33
JB2005
Commodore

Love is blind...
Old September 11 2009, 09:10 PM   #34
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I hope all you nice people don't take it amiss when I give a big ol' "YUCK!" to just about every one of these pairings! Nearly all of them are wrong on some basic level (Picard and Troi? Jeeeeeeeez - he was practically a father figure to her, for goodness' sake. And I don't even want to think about Sisko/Kira.) And several are wrong on oh, so many levels.

Among the pairings that I don't like but that don't make me go "YUCK" are those they kept dangling in front of us for years and years. Riker/Troi? Please. It was kind of boring and hackneyed, IMO, when it was first introduced, and while it might have been OK and maybe even really great if they'd handled it well...well, let's face it, they didn't. Seven years of it just annoyed me - and made it ridiculously unlikely at that. (Yes, I know that was resolved in movies, but I'm talking about the show here.)

And...I hate to say this since he always seemed like such a nice guy...but Frakes made me snicker in his love scenes, and when he didn't make me snicker, he made me cringe. He really did, and I don't think he was supposed to. That added an extra layer of unreality, IMO.

Picard/Crusher? Same thing as Riker/Troi, really - a bit cliched at first, and then it just went on and on until I was sick to death of it. (Again, I know - it's been resolved in books. Doesn't change how badly it was handled in the show, though.) And then there's the additional factor that a captain should not get romantically involved with someone under his (or her - more on this below) command. And that's the problem with Picard/Nella, too - although at least in both of these romances of Picard's, they allowed him to explore the possible consequences of getting involved, which I thought was pretty neat.

Janeway/Chakotay, as I have said far too often, is just wrong because of the special relationship a captain and the XO have to the crew - and to each other. That this particular pair is in the DQ jillions of light years from home makes it even more imperative that they don't get involved in a relationship that would have repercussions for the entire crew. Once they got home, now...that's a different story. Or at least it could have been.

One that I have always rather liked was Seven/Kim. Most folks in the Voyager forum hate this - or at least they did the last time I brought it up. They keep telling me "There's no chemistry! There's no chemistry!" But my feeling is that Seven, at least, was never allowed to have "chemistry" with anybody, except Janeway and (sorry, shippers) that always seemed very motherly-daughterly, mentory/pupilly to me. She was supposed to have some with Chakotay, of course, but that plotline was very badly written so it just didn't work.

But that's not to say there couldn't have been chemistry between Seven and Kim, if there had been a reason for it - I mean, part of chemistry is acting, right? You don't actually have to be in love with the other actor to convey chemistry, surely. And I think, since they were both young and innocent, they might have been rather sweet together. Or maybe Harry and Kes? Of course, Kes and just about anybody except Neelix would have been an enormous improvement.

Doc and Seven might have been pretty neat, too - both of them exploring their humanity together and all that. And aside from the XO-person under his command angle, Chakotay/Torres might have been really interesting, too - but I really liked Paris/Torres, so that worked out fine.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 09:11 PM   #35
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Bertie wrote: View Post
Picard and Pulaski.

An actual, age-appropriate romance for the captain, kinda like Adama-Roslin, but with fewer things like mutinies and coups to get in the way.
That's interesting, since Rick Berman said they kinda wanted to replicate the Kirk/McCoy relationship with Pulaski as the crusty doc... Does that mean that Jim and Bones were or could've been a romantic couple?

Were Picard and Crusher really that age-inappropriate? Nine years doesn't seem like such a shocking age difference.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 09:15 PM   #36
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

JustKate wrote: View Post
Of course, Kes and just about anybody except Neelix would have been an enormous improvement.
QFT.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old September 11 2009, 09:47 PM   #37
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

I know this would have almost been impossible to carry out in story lines, but I always found Spock/Chapel and intriguing match-up. That scene with the two of them in Amok Time when they are alone in Spock's quarters? Man you could cut the sexual tension with a machete. Clearly you could have had a taste for the human women run in the family too.
Old September 11 2009, 09:50 PM   #38
SiorX
Fleet Captain

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Were Picard and Crusher really that age-inappropriate? Nine years doesn't seem like such a shocking age difference.
I think it's nineteen years, isn't it? July 2305 and October 2324 respectively, according to Conundrum. Although Nemesis makes a fuck of that.
SiorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 10:03 PM   #39
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

SiorX wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I think it's nineteen years, isn't it? July 2305 and October 2324 respectively, according to Conundrum. Although Nemesis makes a fuck of that.
I was referring to the actors' ages, of course, since Star Trek timeline and character ages tend to be weird and confusing. "Conundrum" makes Picard retirement age by our standards, but since people in the 24th century can live up to at least 134, the age of 60 might be viewed as we would see the age of 45. And then you've also got aliens with their longer or shorter life spans to make it all even more confusing.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old September 11 2009, 10:18 PM   #40
SiorX
Fleet Captain

^Ah, gotcha. Although the actor ages are slightly hampered by the fact that GMcF admits she's repeatedly made up birth dates when asked. Not that it matters in the least either way.
SiorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 10:22 PM   #41
Bertie
Lieutenant Commander

Right; the in-universe gap in maturity between Picard and Crusher (regardless of the actual in-universe birth years) does seem higher than the ages of the actors in 1988 (48 and 39) would suggest.

That is not so for Picard and Pulaski, although it doesn't hurt that the actors' ages were closer as well (she was 50).
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 10:24 PM   #42
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

SiorX wrote: View Post
^Ah, gotcha. Although the actor ages are slightly hampered by the fact that GMcF admits she's repeatedly made up birth dates when asked. Not that it matters in the least either way.
I can see an actress lying that she's younger than she is, but older... not likely (unless she is under 18).

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old September 11 2009, 10:33 PM   #43
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
Gave it a bit more thought and these are the ones that would've been interesting to me:

-Chekov and Chapel.
-Sulu and Uhura (homage to Mirror, Mirror.)
-Picard and Troi.
-Geordi and Ro.
-Sisko and Nerys.
-O'Brien and Nerys (if Keiko wasn't in the picture, which they fooled with once when Nerys was carrying the O'Briens child).
-Odo and Dax.
-B'Elanna and Chakotay.
-Seven and Tom.
-Phlox and T'Pol.
-Hoshi and Travis.
-Trip and Hoshi.

And for you same-sex 'shippers:

-Sulu and Chekov.
-Khan and Joachim.
-Dukat and Damar.
-Nerys and Dax.
-Seven and Borg Queen.
-Janeway and Seven.
-Neelix and Kim.

Red Ranger
I have to disagree on:
*Chekov and Chapel (No.)
*Picard and Troi (Ew.)
*Geordi and Ro (No chemistry.)
*Sisko and Nerys (No chemistry. Sisko and Dax, however, I could see in the 1st season).
*Odo and Dax (Uh uh.)
*B'lanna and Chakotay (No.)
*Phlox and T'Pol (No.)

For the same sex ships:

*The Nerys and Dax could work; the tight-leather clad Mirror Nerys and Dax, of course...
Old September 11 2009, 10:52 PM   #44
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Since I never liked Keiko, it would have been interesting to see how a Miles/Kira pairing could have turned out. The best romances start out as friendships, so it wouldn't have been a "one day _____ realized that the love of his/her life was right under his/her nose all the time!..."

I get the impression that Jadzia would have had sex with just about anything, so... why not pair her with a Horta?

As for same-sex... definitely Garak and Bashir. Garak was always semi-flirting with Bashir anyway (whether he was serious or not), and Bashir was fascinated by his Cardassian friend. So you never know...

I read a really excellent fanfic of a Seven/Tom pairing. It was Tom who realized that Seven wasn't ready for a sexual relationship, being mentally still about 6 years old and not really understanding the full scope of what she was asking him to do. Still, that's a relationship that could have progressed from friendship to love over the years, as both of them matured as people.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 11:35 PM   #45
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Since I never liked Keiko, it would have been interesting to see how a Miles/Kira pairing could have turned out. The best romances start out as friendships, so it wouldn't have been a "one day _____ realized that the love of his/her life was right under his/her nose all the time!..."

Let's see:
- he's married and in love with his wife
- he is not her type, and she didn't and wouldn't have ever felt any "attraction" to him if it weren't for the baby situation
- they were never even particularly close friends, just co-workers
- the "attraction" that was there for, what, 5 minutes? only happened because she was carrying his - and Keiko's - baby. That may be understandable on some level, but it's also on so many levels.
It generally makes no sense - but hey, I suppose "I HATE KEIKO" trumps all these arguments...

I am still not sure which romance would be less believable, Kira/O'Brien or Jadzia/Horta. The latter would probably be more exciting and interesting, though.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; September 11 2009 at 11:55 PM.