RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,700
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 454
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old September 9 2009, 01:32 AM   #166
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Re: Star Trek: Online

Ground combat looks a lot like KOTOR, which isn't a terribly bad model at all.

Damn, I wish they'd finish the game already.
Old September 9 2009, 09:10 AM   #167
Manticore
Rear Admiral

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Ground combat looks a lot like KOTOR, which isn't a terribly bad model at all.

Damn, I wish they'd finish the game already.
Speaking for myself, I'd rather that they wait until it's done and fairly polished.

I'm hoping that I get into the Beta (as if I need yet another game client on my computer! ), but given that I work for a game developer, I doubt I will. :/
Old September 9 2009, 04:42 PM   #168
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

That'll teach ya to not lie on beta apps

I'm expecting, when the time comes, for there also to be keys up on Fileplanet... aside from being fairly common now anyway, they did the same with Champions Online. If they do you'll need to be a paid subscriber to pick one up, but they're on a first come basis so they won't care who you are as long as you get there before they run out
Old September 10 2009, 07:32 AM   #169
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Arrghman wrote: View Post
That'll teach ya to not lie on beta apps
I'm too bloody honest.

I'm expecting, when the time comes, for there also to be keys up on Fileplanet... aside from being fairly common now anyway, they did the same with Champions Online. If they do you'll need to be a paid subscriber to pick one up, but they're on a first come basis so they won't care who you are as long as you get there before they run out
Eh, it's not a big deal. I'm not really looking forward to the game; it sounds like it's going to suck (though space combat doesn't sound too sucky so far, surprisingly). I hardly need a new MMO (between LOTRO, WoW, and possibly DDO:Unlimited if my friends and I stick with it--and yes, I can afford all three; time is the real killer!), But...well...it's Star Trek. *shrug*
Old September 11 2009, 02:05 AM   #170
darthraidr
Commodore

wait, another game developer on the board? so how many is that, 3? (for the record, i am one)

but that did remind me to check out DDO. thanks!
Old September 11 2009, 04:01 AM   #171
Manticore
Rear Admiral

darthraidr wrote: View Post
wait, another game developer on the board? so how many is that, 3? (for the record, i am one)
Actually, I'm customer service, not a dev. And no, I'm not saying who for.

but that did remind me to check out DDO. thanks!
It's well worth checking out!

So...Star Trek, anyone?
Old September 11 2009, 05:26 AM   #172
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

Manticore wrote: View Post
So...Star Trek, anyone?
I have to say I'm getting really psyched from the gameplay footage people recorded at PAX. Not so much the ground stuff which still seems like it needs work (and no big deal, they have time) but the space combat looks pretty spot on. I almost subscribed to PotBS for their ship combat and this looks like its the same idea but more interesting since you have shields, power balance, etc.

Plus, you know... Star Trek
Old September 11 2009, 06:13 AM   #173
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Arrqh wrote: View Post
Manticore wrote: View Post
So...Star Trek, anyone?
I have to say I'm getting really psyched from the gameplay footage people recorded at PAX. Not so much the ground stuff which still seems like it needs work (and no big deal, they have time) but the space combat looks pretty spot on. I almost subscribed to PotBS for their ship combat and this looks like its the same idea but more interesting since you have shields, power balance, etc.

Plus, you know... Star Trek
I have to say, I lost all drive to make a space-based MMO* after seeing those gameplay vids. The bastards stole all of my ideas.

*Hey, it could happen!
Old September 11 2009, 11:06 AM   #174
Timofnine

Grrrr I still want to be able to walk around my ship and use things like the holodeck for training and the likes. This would add a really nice touch to the game, helping to scale it and make you feel more part of the game universe.
Old September 11 2009, 01:48 PM   #175
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Wait, the Luna class from the books will be available?
Any chance on getting to fly a Vesta class too?
Old September 11 2009, 02:04 PM   #176
Deks
Rear Admiral

It's interesting how the Miranda class was able to defeat 3 BoP's.

Then again ... it's an UPGRADED Miranda to begin with, and even the upgraded BoP's would likely retain certain inferiority over it.
3 of them though should have been able to deal more damage on the Miranda most likely.

Any word if the Graphics will be additionally enhanced before the game is released?

Sadly with the fact that I'm in a low financial situation I won't be playing this anytime soon.
It does look nice though and all ... but further progress is needed of course.
Old September 11 2009, 04:09 PM   #177
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

Deks wrote: View Post
It's interesting how the Miranda class was able to defeat 3 BoP's.

Then again ... it's an UPGRADED Miranda to begin with, and even the upgraded BoP's would likely retain certain inferiority over it.
3 of them though should have been able to deal more damage on the Miranda most likely.
No point reading into that. Different people who played the demo at PAX had different ships but they all had the same stats and weapon loadouts. Obviously the demo was setup to be an "intro" to the game and look cool and was much less about actual stats... and balance continues well past the launch date of an MMO anyway.

Any word if the Graphics will be additionally enhanced before the game is released?
Considering it's not shipping until next year that's pretty much a given. For instance, the devs had said that there will be ship damage but haven't shown it because it isn't implemented in game yet.
Old September 12 2009, 01:00 AM   #178
CaptJack
Captain

Having just watched some of the PAX videos, I'm getting pretty excited about this game. I do, however, have a few issues with the seeming ineffectiveness of evasive maneuvers (does every single shot have to hit home? This is a big annoyance of mine in EVE as well.) and, as other people do, with the partial 3-D space which doesn't allow rolling or AFAIK vertical maneuvering like in Star Trek II or the Homeworld games. Still, it looks great and I'm very much looking forward to getting to be a participant in this form of the Trek universe.
Old September 12 2009, 01:56 AM   #179
Captain_Amasov
Captain

CaptJack wrote: View Post
Having just watched some of the PAX videos, I'm getting pretty excited about this game. I do, however, have a few issues with the seeming ineffectiveness of evasive maneuvers (does every single shot have to hit home? This is a big annoyance of mine in EVE as well.) and, as other people do, with the partial 3-D space which doesn't allow rolling or AFAIK vertical maneuvering like in Star Trek II or the Homeworld games. Still, it looks great and I'm very much looking forward to getting to be a participant in this form of the Trek universe.
It depends on the size of the target, they've said that both phasers and torpedoes can miss smaller ships. Officers can also obtain skills such as sensor jamming, if used against your vessel for example, it would stop you from automatically targeting an incoming ship, so you'll have to manually target enemy ships instead; this is quite a powerful tool for smaller ships.

Then you have certain ships like BoP's, who will work together as a group and focus on one shield, all the while cloaking and de-cloaking. Once they have a shield facing down, they will start hammering the open spot.

The whole area of space you fight in is also fully 3-D, a ship at the very top of the combat area would not even be able to pick up an enemy target at the bottom of it on their sensors. When ships engage in combat they try to remain roughly on the same plane (like in most of the TV series) but you are fully free to go where ever you want, if you feel like it.
Old September 12 2009, 07:07 AM   #180
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

At least the space battle mode isn't as complicated as I expected. I remember playing some Star Wars game and getting really confused with the controls, e.g., how to maneuver the ships, let alone fire at the enemy vessels.
Closed Thread