Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 7 2009, 05:56 PM   #46
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

This is the first episode I saw. It was pleasingly spooky and Linda Park made a good impression. However, I remember thinking that Hoshi and Phlox were the only characters who interested me. And they wouldn't have almost got eaten if they'd listened to T'Pol. Oh, and that slug has no chance on a random alien planet!
Old September 7 2009, 05:58 PM   #47
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Oh, and does Hoshi have superpowers? Her linguistic abilities do seem to involve some sort of magic!
Old September 7 2009, 06:36 PM   #48
DWF
Vice Admiral

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
Oh, and does Hoshi have superpowers? Her linguistic abilities do seem to involve some sort of magic!
Well she was superhumanly cute.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 07:09 PM   #49
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
Well she was superhumanly cute.
Amen to that.
Old September 7 2009, 08:25 PM   #50
SFRabid
Commodore

For a while I thought they were going to make her the mandatory super-character and put her in league with Spock and Data.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 09:58 PM   #51
Bluesteel
Commander

The woman can break through security locks without any technical expertise. Why? How you ask? That's because according to the ENT writers Maths is an another form of language. Never mind the fact that it's not a language or the fact that it's next to impossible to decyper "Enter Access Code"
Bluesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 10:09 PM   #52
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Bluesteel wrote: View Post
That's because according to the ENT writers Maths is an another form of language.
Genius!
Old September 7 2009, 10:26 PM   #53
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Bluesteel wrote: View Post
That's because according to the ENT writers Maths is an another form of language.
Genius!
Well, that's what she said. It wasn't the actual explanation. Throughout the series, she was involved in decrypting stuff, so it stands to reason that she was trained to do it and apparently pretty good at that.
Old September 7 2009, 10:53 PM   #54
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

As somebody with a mathematically oriented brain who has incredible difficulty in learning new languages, I think it's safe for me to claim that the two are not closely related.

Strange New World (**½)

It's nice to see a crew that is excited about a simple little thing like an Earth-type planet, it's the fun little things like that which make the first half of this episode endearing. I also liked the inclusion of some lower-decks characters, at the time that this episode first aired it made me feel excited that Enterprise might include a large array of secondary characters on the ship, but it didn't seem to go that way in the long run.

Then some weird things start to happen with some rock-men and the episode introduces us to an intriguing mystery. Once we learn the truth of what is going on, that the entire away team is having a bad trip, it's still an interesting story and probably all the better for not putting the crew into a forced suspense scenario. Then begins the forced suspense scenario. If the away-team don't inject themselves with a life-saving medicine then THEY WILL DIE!!!

I suppose crewman Cutler might die, but I think the other three are probably safe due to some SAG rule.

This is an interesting scenario that the crew is in and I can see plenty of potential with this set-up, so it is upsetting that the best the writers could come up with is Trip shouting for fifteen minutes. Unfortunately, when this episode first aired I was so repulsed by the Trip character that I wanted him to be killed off all the way into the second season, which is the point when I started to tolerate him again. At a point when the audience is still unsure of who these characters are, the last thing that should have been done was an episode where their worst vices are magnified.

But at least Archer has learned that his impatience almost got five of his crew killed, so he wont be so stupid as to put them into such an easily avoidable situation again.

Archer refuses to perform the necessary scans and goes down to a planet full of deadly toxins in order to bring his dog for a walk, and he flies a shuttlepod through a storm even though there are qualified pilots on Enterprise.

Captain Redshirt: 5
Transporter: 2
Old September 7 2009, 11:15 PM   #55
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I would rate that episode higher. It certainly was very different from the standard Trek episode because it showed the flaws of the characters and the tension between humans and Vulcans. You don't usually see a Trek crew being so distrustful of each other. I think Connor Trinneer did a great job of conveying Trip's fear and paranoia as well as his struggle against his preconception. I'm not that big of a Trip fan, either.
There were a lot of nice little touches in the episode, like the photo they take at the beginning, the campfire scene, Trip and Travis fighting the bug in their tent.
And I really liked how they played the 'redshirt' angle. I was so sure that Novakovich (was that the name?) would die, but then he didn't. It jibes well with the unusual turn the whole episode takes in that the rock people aren't real.
Old September 7 2009, 11:43 PM   #56
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

This one's OK. Of course, if they'd surveyed the planet from orbit first, like a crew member whose name I forget suggested, they probably wouldn't have had such difficulties. I'm still not very interested in these people though, I guess that's what drags most of these episodes down for me.
Old September 8 2009, 12:12 AM   #57
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

I agree with the score for Fight or Flight, but I'd give this episode *** at least. There's just so much to enjoy in this episode, especially the little touches that seperate ENT from the other shows. I love the 'frontier' exploration spirit and these people being completely fascinated by a single planet while in the other shows new planets where treated as hardly anything special.

I agree there's more to this episode than that, but the first half really resonated with me. "Are we allowed to squash alien bugs?!"

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2009, 03:57 AM   #58
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen...good to see you taking on Enterprise

May the wind be at your back, and the scratches on your DVDs minor

That said...in terms of counting, you've GOT to count either Mayweather lines or scenes per episode. They should not include helm/nav related dialogue given from behind the driver's seat. "Aye sir" is not dialogue. It would be interesting to watch that number drop to zero as the series moves on.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2009, 08:05 AM   #59
Seven of Five
Commodore

I think overall that Enterprise had a decent enough start. Broken Bow was a nice setup, if you ignore the Klingon inconsistencies. The animosity between Humans and Vulcans is well played, and unexpected. I agree that the lack of development of Future Guy hurts the pilot retrospectively. It was a mystery that ended up fizzling out later on in the series.

Hoshi is one of my favourite characters, and think that she was criminally underused throughout ENT's run, so Fight or Flight was right up my street! The actual plot of the episode is quite weak, but at the meaty core of it is Hoshi. I liked how she hadn't taken very well to space flight, and how homesick she was - certainly nothing that we've had before in Trek. Her slug was goofy, but endearing.

TGB, you say that having a female in this role is slightly sexist, whereas I'd go with a bit predictable. Nothing more.

Strange New World, as some have said, had a brilliant first half. The enthusiasm everybody showed for finding their first planet was so well played. It really set apart how new the Enterprise's mission compared to others that came before. It falls apart in the middle when the episode takes the 'Strange' part of the title too literally. Kelly Waymire played Cutler very well, and I wish she could have made more than three appearances before her untimely death.
Old September 8 2009, 08:51 AM   #60
HolidayRomantic
Phloxist moderator

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
At a point when the audience is still unsure of who these characters are, the last thing that should have been done was an episode where their worst vices are magnified.
You mean like in "The Naked Time"? Or "The Naked Now"? When you put characters under pressure, you learn things about them that you would otherwise never know. That's the fun of episodes like these. I can see why the writers would do it right off the bat -- to help the viewers learn more about the crew.

Archer refuses to perform the necessary scans and goes down to a planet full of deadly toxins in order to bring his dog for a walk
Is that why he blew off the scans? For Porthos? I must have missed that line.

Seriously, if Archer had done the scans, they wouldn't have gone down there. Scratch entire episode. Since the writers clearly wanted to do this episode, I agree that they should have shored up the reason Archer thought it would be safe. The scans don't recognize the alien spores as a toxin, or some such.

and he flies a shuttlepod through a storm even though there are qualified pilots on Enterprise.
I figured Archer, as a former test pilot, would have been the most qualified pilot, since Travis was on the surface.

The "Captain Redshirt" count... hey, I bought into the idea that Archer wouldn't order somebody to do what he wouldn't do himself, especially if it were perilous. He's not General Patton; he's an explorer. The so-called "self-sacrificial streak" was used consistently for the character, and it worked for me.

Of course, future Starfleet captains would never, ever allow personal feelings get in the way of... hmmm.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
There were a lot of nice little touches in the episode, like the photo they take at the beginning, the campfire scene, Trip and Travis fighting the bug in their tent.
Agreed on all points. There is something totally cool about the idea that 150 years from now, humans will still enjoy telling scary stories around a campfire. And the bug thing was a scream.

And Novakovich didn't die! Maybe you should count "hoary old cliches avoided."