Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 19 2009, 08:14 AM   #61
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

donners22 wrote: View Post

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Also, they mostly speak English in Australia (aboriginal languages and those spoken by recent immigrants aside, naturally.)
Depends on which train you catch. I think I'm in the minority as an English-speaker some days.
Having lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for a number of years, I do know what you mean, but that comment was given as a response to this one:

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I seem to remember that they made some fuzz about creating Romulan and Vulcan language for the movie. Where did that end up? Or did they mean they needed a consultant for Australian language?
Regardless of what other languages you might hear when you're getting around there, the "Australian language" is still predominantly English. (I could see hiring a consultant for words and terms which are peculiarly Australian and not used elsewhere. Didn't notice any of those turning up in the movie, though, so it's probably a moot point.)
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2009, 08:57 AM   #62
Elvira
Vice Admiral

VulcanVixen wrote: View Post
I seem to remember that they made some fuzz about creating Romulan and Vulcan language for the movie. Where did that end up? Or did they mean they needed a consultant for Australian language?
Don't they already have a Vulcan language? I remember it being spoking in the trilogy movie, Wrath of Khan. I could be mistaken...
The dialog between Spock and (Saavik ?) in the torpedo room near the begining of TWOK could of been romulan, the tones seem different than the spoken vulcan we've hearn at various times. Vulcan being the harsher, and Romulan the softer of the two languages.

Last edited by Elvira; August 31 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 03:18 AM   #63
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

foxmulder710 wrote: View Post
True, that (about the accent, both that I'd prefer Australian and we don't know what a "real" one would sound like).

I've always had trouble with the convention of hearing aliens speak English on screen even though we "know" they're "really" speaking their own language.

And the fact that Bana spoke like a Yank, although he's an alien and that was, like, totally unnecessary. Never mind though. Hey, I finally can tell the difference between Americans and Canadians. Go me.
Old September 1 2009, 04:15 AM   #64
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The dialog between Spock and (Saavik ?) in the torpedo room near the begining of TWOK could of been romulan, the tones seem different than the spoken vulcan we've hearn at various times. Vulcan being the harsher, and Romulan the softer of the two languages.
You'll notice that in both cases - this scene, and the Kolinahr bit from TMP - the actors are actually speaking English. James Doohan invented Vulcan words that matched the actors' lip movements.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 11:31 AM   #65
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

pookha wrote: View Post
i thought it was supposed to be both to show that nero wasnt some eloquent high ranking romulan officer but rather what he said..
a simple miner who got caught up in things far more deadly then he ever could imagine.
and thus driven to obsessive madness.
Exactly. I think he had snapped, and so reality and his goals were all twisted up together. In other words, and to quote the inimitable Barney Fife, "He's a nut!"

J.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 06:21 PM   #66
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Regardless of what other languages you might hear when you're getting around there, the "Australian language" is still predominantly English. (I could see hiring a consultant for words and terms which are peculiarly Australian and not used elsewhere. Didn't notice any of those turning up in the movie, though, so it's probably a moot point.)
Wow... this is... wow.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 08:49 PM   #67
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Wow... this is... wow.
I don't understand the need for eyerolling in what's essentially a fine point. By Australian, did you mean native aborigine? By Australian, did you mean just a few slang words that only Aussies use in English?
Old September 7 2009, 09:24 PM   #68
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Maybe I need to requote myself. I couldn't have expected any of you to take it so literally and seriously. Wow.

JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 09:39 PM   #69
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Maybe I need to requote myself. I couldn't have expected any of you to take it so literally and seriously. Wow.

With the exception of the new winking smiley which was not part of your original post, that was already quoted in my post to which you responded above. Your question about use of Romulan language in the movie, at least, was also answered by one or more persons upthread.

As far as taking your earlier post seriously goes, you frequently tend to come across as very serious and sometimes even angry. Did it occur to you that others might not have expected you to be making a joke and therefore failed to recognize it as such?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 11:57 PM   #70
Yug
Lieutenant Commander

^^ can you please try to stay on topic?
Yug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2009, 12:09 AM   #71
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
["Lots of planets have a North!" - 9th Doctor
There needs to be some sort of QI alarm that goes off whenever someone uses that quote in regards to alien accents.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2009, 01:02 AM   #72
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

With the exception of the new winking smiley which was not part of your original post, that was already quoted in my post to which you responded above. Your question about use of Romulan language in the movie, at least, was also answered by one or more persons upthread.

As far as taking your earlier post seriously goes, you frequently tend to come across as very serious and sometimes even angry.
Could I add "dismissive" to the list?

Okay, I'm done
Old September 8 2009, 01:57 AM   #73
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Nero's ARMS AND LEGS get STRAPPED IN TIGHT. Go WIDE to reveal he's pinned to an interrogation table -- three GUARDS. A KLINGON INTERROGATOR approaches; looms over Nero, studying the Romulan's face with clinical detachment...

KLINGON INTERROGATOR
(SUBTITLED KLINGON)
I have come far to meet you. "The One
Who Does Not Speak." Ten years is a long
time to maintain silence.
(beat)
Perhaps you simply do not speak Klingon,
just as I do not speak Romulan.
But I assume we both speak the language
of our common enemy.

(NOTE: FROM NOW ON, OUR NON-ENGLISH SPEAKERS WILL SPEAK ENGLISH, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.) He reveals a worn LEATHER JOURNAL. Opens it, flips through it almost casually... we see SKETCHES of the JELLYFISH SHIP, PAGES OF COMPLICATED MATH EQUATIONS...

KLINGON INTERROGATOR (CONT’D)
We found this book in your cell.
Cartography, mathematics-- what do these
mean? This date here -- eleven years
from now-- what happens then?
(holds up the
FLUORESCENT MAPS)
And why attempt to smuggle in maps of
Federation space?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2009, 04:34 AM   #74
marcus.t
Ensign

nero was out of control with his temper,that's why he repeated himself,and as for the accent it works well to have a southern sound as he was a drill worker type guy.
Also I'm sick of well spoken clear voiced etonian english bad guy voices-it's so passe!
marcus.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2009, 02:57 PM   #75
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

marcus.t wrote: View Post
Also I'm sick of well spoken clear voiced etonian english bad guy voices-it's so passe!
All the best villains have British accents - any American can tell you that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote