Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 2 2009, 04:35 PM   #226
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

Thanks, Drone. I didn't really think anybody had come up with a solution that I hadn't at least considered, but...I thought I'd ask anyway. And it's good to know that other people have managed to overcome the "inside exercise is b-o-o-o-o-O-O-O-O-o-o-o-o-oring!" factor.

Hmm....I have a number of audio books, all on CD. I wonder if I could transfer some of those to my iPod?
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 06:51 PM   #227
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

I refuse to use any Apple product, but I do have a 30-GB Zune that contains maybe up to 6 hours of digital music (almost all of which were burned from CDs I used to have). Audio books sound fun ... anything you listen to can make your workout seem to go faster.

Going back to Wii Fit, I have a couple of co-workers who use the console for their yoga and indoor exercise routine. They seem to like the interactive features.
Old September 2 2009, 07:06 PM   #228
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I actually cannot remember whether my iPod is an actual iPod or not. It's an itty bitty digital music storage thingy of some brand or other - I forget. I am pretty sure it's not a Zune, but that's about as far as I can go right at the moment.

But I am kind of liking the idea of audio books...

I do know people who use Wii Fit...or at least have Wii Fit and have used it some. They all seem to like it, although I don't so far know anybody who relies on it. For the people I know who use it - and I'm not saying they are typical - it seems to be something used to fill in the gaps in their regular exercise routine.

Last edited by JustKate; September 2 2009 at 07:17 PM.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2009, 09:07 PM   #229
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

JustKate, I use audio books on my iPod. If you load any audio CD iTunes will boot up automatically and you can import it into your library and then move it to an iPod (if you are, in fact, using iTunes).

And if you really get into it, you can subscribe to Audible.com, which is like NetFlix for audio books. I used them for awhile and gathered a number of nice SF books by some of my favorite authors. I also love podcast novels. Check out PodioBooks.com, especially J.C. Hutchins' "7th Son" novels. There's some fabulous SF/fantasy material out there (and it's free)!

Well, I started my serious diet & exercise program. After checking out a number of different programs, I settled on Turbulence Training, which several people I'm acquainted with have recommended. I did the first workout yesterday and I really liked it ... the best part is it takes quite a bit less time than my usual routine. Plus they have a $4.95 trial offer. We'll see how it goes in a few weeks!
Old September 6 2009, 05:52 PM   #230
Witterquick
Captain

My fitness - all time low. My diet - a mess.
My weight this week - alarming.

Mon - 64.1
Tue - 62.6
Wed - 62.2
Thu - 61.7
Fri - 61.3
Sat - 60.8
Today - 60.3

WTF? I'm already a skinny guy. Eat (even) more nuts ...
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 10:39 AM   #231
RoJoHen
Awesome

My workouts would go so much better if I had a normal sleep schedule.
Old September 11 2009, 09:25 AM   #232
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My workouts would go so much better if I had a normal sleep schedule.
I used to hate getting very little sleep when I was building. Though I felt better when a guy I know - who was going for, and won best newcomer in Mr Scotland a few years back - was a bus driver working 12 hour shifts, working out in the morning and evening staying awake only with a combination of bizarre pills.

Made me feel a little better for getting four-six hours when he was getting one or two.

On me - I've been doing light workouts since dropping to under 180. By months end I intend to go back to my old schedule (or maybe find a new one) to get myself back up to a reasonable weight before a gig in January.

I'll feel a hell of a lot better on some heavier weights.
Old September 11 2009, 11:02 AM   #233
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

This is my first time in the fitness check-in, but today's a good day for it: today I biked 61.7 miles in 4 hours! I'm very pleased, and a bit sore. I'm training for a round of bike tours coming up in spring, including the 5 Borough Bike Tour, about which I am very excited. I'm thinking of buying a trainer to use during the winter months, but they're awfully pricey so I'll have to see if I can get one second-hand.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2009, 11:06 AM   #234
RoJoHen
Awesome

That is a lot of miles. My legs would have fallen off.
Old September 15 2009, 10:43 AM   #235
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have recently learned that drinking green tea about 30 minutes before a workout gives me a ridiculous amount of energy. My workouts have been awesome ever since I started doing that.
Old September 16 2009, 05:47 PM   #236
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I'm trying to get back into racquetball. My new partner isn't as casual as the partner i had last year, so we move at a much more break-neck pace. While not as much fun, it will definately help get me back into shape.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 10:07 AM   #237
RoJoHen
Awesome

Lately my workouts have been taking a really long time. I'm at the gym at least 1.5-2 hours, which I've always believed was way too long. However, I've been resting a lot more between sets, and I've been pushing much heavier weights in an attempt to shock my muscles into new growth. And ya know what? It's working!
Old September 20 2009, 11:15 PM   #238
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

Two hours? That's a long time. No wonder I haven't developed any visible musculature. When I had a gym membership, my workout time was about an hour at the most. Well, you're getting to your goals.
Old September 21 2009, 12:18 AM   #239
RoJoHen
Awesome

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
Two hours? That's a long time. No wonder I haven't developed any visible musculature. When I had a gym membership, my workout time was about an hour at the most. Well, you're getting to your goals.
Well, a typical weight training workout should really only last about 45 minutes.

The majority of my 2 hours has been resting in between sets.
Old September 23 2009, 07:14 PM   #240
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
Well, a typical weight training workout should really only last about 45 minutes.

The majority of my 2 hours has been resting in between sets.

I'm doing cardio twice a day now on my new elliptical. My workouts tend to go 2 hrs because of it.

RAMA