Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 4 2009, 10:51 PM   #31
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: Watching Alias...

...I learnt that all international crime syndiates and intelligence organisations are fronted by night clubs.

Nice to see that Rambaldi's big red ball thingy had a guest appearance in the recent Star Trek movie.
Old September 4 2009, 11:35 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

Honestly, I don't remember much about the specific storylines of the later seasons. It's not a show I'm dying to revisit. The main episode I want to see again is the series finale, and that's just because of the cold open where they let Michael Giacchino do over 9 minutes of continuous music elaborating on the Schifrinesque "spy action" leitmotif that he'd been using throughout the final couple of years of the show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 04:41 AM   #33
Chrisisall
Commodore

Just finished the final season. WOW. I t W a s g o o d.
Like, almost Dark Angel good.
I may get the whole series now.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 07:45 AM   #34
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Cool! I've recently rewatched Alias as well. I too don't get the bad rap that some people here give to the latter seasons. My only disappointment was Tom Grace's character. It went nowhere and once Vaughn returned, he simply was useless. Too bad.
I really enjoyed the show's production values, and how they made you believe they were everywhere around the world, the constant use of foreign languages, etc.
Alias has such strong female characters, and that's its major asset. A hot chick that kicks major asses.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 09:47 AM   #35
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Sydney Bristow is a bit of a Mary Sue character, 'though. She's special (in a way that seemed to be dropped as a plotline between two of the seasons), fluent in a gazillion languages, a Krav Maga expert, etc.

Olivia Dunham in Fringe has somewhat similar attributes, somewhat toned down, but only slightly.

Both the original and the new James T Kirk are male versions of Mary Sue, which may be why JJA was drawn to the franchise.

Thankfully, the Mary Sue-ness of these characters doesn't grate too much.
Old September 5 2009, 10:59 AM   #36
captcalhoun
Admiral

she can't be a Mary Sue. she's the freaking heroine. a Mary Sue would be if i was to do a story where a British agent comes in and kicks ass and has Vaughn falling for her, but Syd loves her anyway and they go out shopping for shoulder holsters together.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 02:06 PM   #37
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
she can't be a Mary Sue. she's the freaking heroine. a Mary Sue would be if i was to do a story where a British agent comes in and kicks ass and has Vaughn falling for her, but Syd loves her anyway and they go out shopping for shoulder holsters together.
Agreed. She's not a Mary Sue.

The only thing that annoyed me was Sydney's character cried in like every episode of the show.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 02:23 PM   #38
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Yep, that's a misconception of the term.

Old September 5 2009, 03:17 PM   #39
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

Syd would kick a Mary Sue's butt if necessary...or maybe just if Syd was having a bad day.

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 07:17 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

ancientone51 wrote: View Post
Syd would kick a Mary Sue's butt if necessary...or maybe just if Syd was having a bad day.
Well, no; if there were an Alias fanfic in which a Mary Sue character appeared, then that character would, by definition, be better than Sydney at everything.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 11:27 PM   #41
Chrisisall
Commodore

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Cool! I've recently rewatched Alias as well.
Backwards ass that I am, now that I finished 5, I bought season one, and am gonna get two when I'm done with that.
I just HATE when good shows have s**t endings, and now that I know Alias has an awesome ending, I can proceed from square one.
Colour me strange that way.
Old September 6 2009, 10:33 AM   #42
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

You're not that strange! One of my favorite comic books is XIII. And the very first issue I read was Thirteen against One, in which it is revealed who Number One is...

Old September 6 2009, 02:47 PM   #43
littlecool

I won't spend much time describing Alias, since most readers are probably already familiar. The premise is intriguing and fairly original, but the execution is too often calculated. It's obvious that some elements are specifically marketed to draw male viewers, while other are intended to appeal to females.

The two basic elements that are meant to appeal to males are the action sequences and Jennifer Garner's sex appeal. Both are too often forced. Even though the action sequences sometimes feel artificial, they're usually creative enough to compensate for this flaw. Almost every episode finds a reason to put Sydney (Garner) into a lingerie, bikini, or some other revealing outfit to show off her admittedly stunning beauty. While her physical beauty is striking, this cheap marketing ploy diminishes the show's emotional substance.

Last edited by Top41; September 6 2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: link to illegal DVDs edited out
Old September 6 2009, 11:09 PM   #44
Chrisisall
Commodore

littlecool wrote: View Post
Almost every episode finds a reason to put Sydney (Garner) into a lingerie, bikini, or some other revealing outfit to show off her admittedly stunning beauty. While her physical beauty is striking, this cheap marketing ploy diminishes the show's emotional substance.
Substance & cheap marketing ploys are not necessarily mutually exclusive, IMO.
Old September 7 2009, 05:11 AM   #45
Chrisisall
Commodore

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Hmmmm, looks interesting....