Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old September 3 2009, 04:30 PM   #151
Subspace
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Star Trek: Online

I dont like how they have updated the parts on the ships, It would be better to just have the Normal TNG style Parts.
Old September 4 2009, 10:30 AM   #152
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

^^ While I'm not completely satisfied about the style of some of the changes, it's not exactly surprising that refits for these ships would change them aesthetically, considering the fact that by this stage, some of these ships are approaching 50 years old. The Constitution refit of the movies was done to a class that was far younger than that by the stage the refit happened.

In any case, we can still use the original parts. I wonder if it will be possible to tell the more 'dedicated' fans from the players who are less familiar with the franchise purely by the ship styles that they sport.
Old September 4 2009, 11:27 AM   #153
Timofnine

IDIC wrote: View Post
Timofnine wrote: View Post
Yeah that's a point really, the trailer just showed fighting.... I hope there is going to be a lot of exploration, trade and character interaction etc.

Does anybody know if we get to walk around the inside of our ships? or is our ship just an avatar like our character is on a planet?
They have said that at least at launch, you will not be able to freely walk around inside your ship. However, there will be missions which take place inside your ship!
I'm not happy with this!!!! I'd like to be able to walk around my own ship, chill out in ten forward and check through the computer library etc in my spare time, like when traveling between planets or orbiting planets with nothing to do! Maybe practice my combat in the holodeck...
Old September 4 2009, 04:12 PM   #154
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

SilentP wrote: View Post
In any case, we can still use the original parts. I wonder if it will be possible to tell the more 'dedicated' fans from the players who are less familiar with the franchise purely by the ship styles that they sport.
Probably not. Customization is a very big deal in MMO's for obvious reasons and many people, even "dedicated" fans are going to want to make their ship their "own"... and customization is a large part of that.

Besides, pretty much every chief engineer we know from Trek has fiddled with and changed bits of the ship's internals. Only difference here is that you'll see a visible difference! I think it's great. The big space MMO now, Eve Online, has lots of part customizations for your ship... but there's never a visible difference so everyone using the same base hull looks the same. They get around that by having a ton of different hulls to choose from... but this is Trek and most people are going to gravitate towards the same ships. At the very least, it'll help make the game look a little more diverse after everyone makes a beeline for a Galaxy-class

I'm not happy with this!!!! I'd like to be able to walk around my own ship, chill out in ten forward and check through the computer library etc in my spare time, like when traveling between planets or orbiting planets with nothing to do! Maybe practice my combat in the holodeck...
And you will! Just... not at launch
Old September 4 2009, 05:15 PM   #155
darthraidr
Commodore

you can sign up for the BETA on the main website...

i signed up, but i answered the questions honestly, so i wont be getting in. "Do you work in the video game industry or for the press?" yes... and since i said yes to that same question for the Champions Beta and never got an invite, i suspect the same will be true here...

so if you work for Cryptic, and are reading this... hook a brother up and send me an invite. k thx.
Old September 4 2009, 06:20 PM   #156
Subspace
Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^ While I'm not completely satisfied about the style of some of the changes, it's not exactly surprising that refits for these ships would change them aesthetically, considering the fact that by this stage, some of these ships are approaching 50 years old. The Constitution refit of the movies was done to a class that was far younger than that by the stage the refit happened.

I think the more dedicated or long time fans, are going to have the original Hull configurations, And the newcomers will get the parts that look most 'Cool'.
Old September 4 2009, 08:05 PM   #157
Galactus
Rear Admiral

I just saw a press release today and I too lazy to read the whole thread. So is this basically like the games where you play $30 a month to live in an online world. Can someone give me the cliff notes version of what is going on
Old September 4 2009, 08:24 PM   #158
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

Galactus wrote: View Post
I just saw a press release today and I too lazy to read the whole thread. So is this basically like the games where you play $30 a month to live in an online world. Can someone give me the cliff notes version of what is going on
Pretty much.

Subspace wrote: View Post

I think the more dedicated or long time fans, are going to have the original Hull configurations, And the newcomers will get the parts that look most 'Cool'.
Wouldn't be surprised to see stuff like unique hull parts been sold as an optional extra whether they be purely cosmetic or a way to buy a leg up at some point in the future. Its a cheap way to squeeze more money out of users.

Last edited by Seventh White Boomer; September 4 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old September 4 2009, 09:09 PM   #159
Subspace
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jono wrote: View Post

Wouldn't be surprised to see stuff like unique hull parts been sold as an optional extra whether they be purely cosmetic or a way to buy a leg up at some point in the future. Its a cheap way to squeeze more money out of users.
I'd be very ticked off if that were the case, Paying $199 for Lifetime membership and then having to buy extra content.
Old September 4 2009, 09:11 PM   #160
Subspace
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Galactus wrote: View Post
Basicaly you pay for subscription, Then you cruise around on your little star ship, Upgrading as you get better and more credits, Customise your crew and go on away missions to planets and Ships.

Edit: oops Sorry for Double post
Old September 5 2009, 07:59 PM   #161
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Gamespy has a hands-on preview.
Old September 5 2009, 10:47 PM   #162
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Rat Boy wrote: View Post
There's also some video from one of the attendees at PAX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCE8q6StGdQ
Old September 6 2009, 12:48 PM   #163
Subspace
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the Info
Old September 6 2009, 09:19 PM   #164
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Rat Boy wrote: View Post
Wellp, I've bashed the game enough, but there's one thing I'm pleasantly happy that they did: base three "archetypes" off the hero ships of the TNG era. And it makes sense, too! I've always thought of the E-D/Galaxy as something akin to an MMO tank, Defiant as a scrapper/fighter and Voyager/Intrepid as a buffer in the shows. Intrepid makes sense in this regard, considering how often Voyager got its ass kicked whenever it went solo

My only (teeny tiny) complaint: I think Akira should be in the Tank group along with the Galaxy and Sovereign. But having it as a scrapper with the Defiant and the Prometheus is okay in my book, too.
Old September 8 2009, 06:26 PM   #165
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
There's also some video from one of the attendees at PAX:
A better video is here:
space combat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIQP...layer_embedded

ground combat 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiABz...layer_embedded

from this Trekmovie post.