Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 4 2009, 06:12 AM   #16
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: DVD Artwork changed and updated.

Those dissatisfied with the cover art, I am sure you can/will find alternate covers online.
Old September 4 2009, 07:19 AM   #17
marcus.t
Ensign

Looking 4ward to the target edition and other retail editions,might get the amazon one.
marcus.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 08:08 AM   #18
npsf3000
Lieutenant Commander

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I like the original poster art better. The 'new' art looks more like a fanboy creation, and not a very good one either. Perhaps they should let our own Photoshoppers and Blue Nacelles people take a turn at it.
I agree.

The first one wasn't imaginative but it is the movies symbol and was clean(not great but simple). The transparent text does look immature and childish. It looks like something I would try once and immediately undo in fireworks.
Old September 4 2009, 11:56 AM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Those dissatisfied with the cover art, I am sure you can/will find alternate covers online.
Eh, I'm just gonna end up throwing the box away. I keep my movies in a leather CD case. But that still doesn't make the art any less crappy.

They should really just have contests for this stuff. I could make something better with photoshop.
Old September 4 2009, 12:17 PM   #20
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

LOL Why is Uhura on the front cover?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 02:49 PM   #21
Similitude
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Similitude

Ugh, I hate floating head covers. Thankfully the blu ray only has a one floating head inside letters.
Similitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 02:53 PM   #22
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

I'm excited for the DVD release, but those covers aren't really that attractive to me. Personally I would have preferred this: http://www.impawards.com/2009/star_trek_xi_ver18.html
Old September 4 2009, 03:51 PM   #23
Illinoisguy1
Ensign

God Magnus wrote: View Post
I'm excited for the DVD release, but those covers aren't really that attractive to me. Personally I would have preferred this: http://www.impawards.com/2009/star_trek_xi_ver18.html
I agree. Of course they could have altered it a little more and added a few more cast members.
Illinoisguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 03:59 PM   #24
Jeyl
Commodore

Ah, yes. It's the "I'm Kirk, and Star Trek is about ME!" douchebag cover.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 04:01 PM   #25
NileQT87
Commander

View NileQT87's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NileQT87 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NileQT87 Send a message via Yahoo to NileQT87

Honestly, the abstract ship on the white cover is just ugly as sin. I've always hated it. And yes, the huge Kirk head "douchebag cover" (aptly put) does nothing for me either.

They should have used the one with the various cast members on it (and replace Sulu and Chekov--so misplaced--with McCoy and Nimoy-Spock).
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 04:01 PM   #26
Jeyl
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
LOL Why is Uhura on the front cover?
Oh, yes. Of course. Because women have no place in Star Trek. Thank you for reminding us of that.

To think that a lot of fans here said her role was greatly improved over the original series.
Old September 4 2009, 04:02 PM   #27
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Hopefully the nest Star Trek film will feature less pictures of the cast trying to look moody by looking down at us.
Old September 4 2009, 04:03 PM   #28
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
To think that a lot of fans here said her role was greatly improved over the original series.
Yeah, she got to take her clothes off and bone Spock.

Last edited by Shazam!; September 4 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old September 4 2009, 04:16 PM   #29
NileQT87
Commander

View NileQT87's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NileQT87 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NileQT87 Send a message via Yahoo to NileQT87

Honestly, I think I could come up with a better cover with a few hours on Photoshop. The added graininess of those pictures doesn't work for me either. What would be superior is to use those shots for a character reference, but have an artist draw them like an old movie poster.

These pictures aren't the best ones they took, IMO. They thought the angle on the Kirk one made him look 'cool', but it really doesn't. Leave that downward head tilt to a villain or someone who is genuinely a bit edgier. Kirk would do better with a generic hero shot. Also, that shot naturally minimizes the chin, which isn't smart on a person who doesn't have a strong chin (unless you're talking about goth doll shots). You need powerful, large eyes to pull that angle off effectively. That's just not a great example of pictures done at that angle. And I'm surprised they have dropped Spock right off of the cover when the movie went out of its way to make it a duo piece.

Kirk, Spock, Uhura, McCoy and Spock Prime are the characters who make the most sense to be given cover treatment.
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 04:38 PM   #30
Jeyl
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Yeah, she got to take her clothes off and bone Spock.
Oh, trust me. Just look up the post I started in regards to Uhura. She's portrayed to be one of the most hard working characters in the entire movie yet she doesn't do much of anything. Even her communication's post is useless. I just saw your comment to be a little cold considering that she is now the ONLY female character Star Trek is likely to have for the next two decades.

God, I hated this movie.