Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 1 2009, 10:47 AM   #16
kalysto
Captain

Re: Watching Alias...

I would say my biggest disappointment with Alias was Sydney's disappearance. I wanted season 3 to focus on her on the other side of the fence, working her new alias. It would have kept the theme of the show, while being new and not still yanking Sloane's chain. I stopped watching after the end of season 3, they just messed up Mr. Sark too much.
kalysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 04:33 PM   #17
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I would say my biggest disappointments with the series have to do with the Rambaldi mythology and the fact that it really didn't go anywhere interesting. They kept bringing it up, and kept referencing all of these things, but in the end, I don't think any of it made sense and I never felt that Sydney got to accomplish something major as her destiny as "the chosen one". There were a lot of things introduced or mentioned that never got fully addressed or followed-up on. Obviously, the writers didn't really know what to do with Rambaldi.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2009, 11:46 PM   #18
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Rambaldi got completely out of hand. Especially in Season 3 where they were looking for a Rambaldi artifact a week. I was expecting them to start looking for Rambaldi's left nut by the end of it.

The episode in season three where Ricky Gervais played an IRA bomber was great and stands with the best of the first two seasons.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 02:02 AM   #19
CaptainCanada
Admiral

While they never really explained (or even attempted to) a lot of the individual devices that Rambaldi built, the final resolution of Sydney's plot I thought made sense. She did indeed render the greatest power unto utter desolation.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 03:45 AM   #20
Christopher
Writer

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
She did indeed render the greatest power unto utter desolation.
I think that phrase gets the grammar wrong. "Render unto" means to give to: "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" means "give the Romans what they're entitled to." Rearrange that and you get "Render [what is Caesar's] unto Caesar." So "render A unto B" means "give A to B." How do you give the greatest power to utter desolation? I think the writers intended it to mean that she would use the greatest power to cause utter desolation, but "render... unto" is decidedly not the correct construction to use for that. They were just trying to sound all fancy and archaic and didn't think it through.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 06:20 AM   #21
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Yeah, it definitely sounds better then "she's totally gonna fuck shit up".
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 03:54 PM   #22
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
How do you give the greatest power to utter desolation? I think the writers intended it to mean that she would use the greatest power to cause utter desolation
Actually, no. It means what it sounds like.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2009, 04:23 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

^But that's not rendering the greatest power unto utter desolation -- it's rendering utter desolation unto the greatest power. "Render A unto B" is not synonymous with "Render B unto A." Like I said, they got the grammar wrong. In this case, they got the word order backward.

Old September 2 2009, 11:26 PM   #24
Legolas
Commodore

Oh, man. Did I seriously effe up by buying all 5 seasons at once w/o ever seeing the show? Sounds like I made a big mistake.

America
1776-2004
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2009, 06:13 AM   #25
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Well, I personally enjoyed all five season; some more then others. So yeah, I think you made a good decision by getting all five seasons.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2009, 04:14 PM   #26
MNM
Captain

Legolas wrote: View Post
Oh, man. Did I seriously effe up by buying all 5 seasons at once w/o ever seeing the show? Sounds like I made a big mistake.
Not in the slightest, Alias is a quality show (though I wouldnt argue that season four is a bit meh). You should enjoy it.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2009, 04:55 PM   #27
John Clark
Commodore

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ Well, I personally enjoyed all five season; some more then others. So yeah, I think you made a good decision by getting all five seasons.
Seconded. I think it's a fun show on the whole
Old September 3 2009, 05:03 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

I think seasons 3 and 4 are weak, implausible, and often tiresome, but at least they have Melissa George and Mia Maestro, respectively, so they aren't all bad.

And am I the only one who liked Arvin Sloane better as a reformed and well-intentioned character than as a villain? I liked him and hated Jack Bristow, so I was hoping the series would end up with Sloane as the hero and Jack as the villain.

Old September 3 2009, 11:30 PM   #29
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Arvin Sloane as a good guy wasn't bad but they played that storyline way too long. Jack Bristow was the man...one of my favorite TV characters.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2009, 10:43 PM   #30
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I actually like most of season 3, particularly once they revealed Melissa George's character to be evil and paired her up with Sark. The two of them made a great team and I thought the actors had pretty good chemistry. Some of the plot/story element in season 3 didn't pay off very well, though. Season 4 is a massive failure on many levels.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote