TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 28 2009, 01:30 AM   #16
suarezguy
Commodore

Re: Halloween III: Season of The Witch (1982).

I also watched it for the first time last year and was very impressed, the villains' power and evil was built-up very well and the Halloween day part was especially intense.
Old August 28 2009, 04:43 AM   #17
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I bought this movie on VHS circa 1990 to have a complete run of Halloween movies on my shelf. I intended to watch it, really I did. Then circa 2005 I sold all my VHS movies that I could(think I got $1 per tape) and threw the rest away.

Never did see Halloween 3. Maybe one day.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 06:34 AM   #18
EmmanuelZorg
Lieutenant Commander

Michael should have been left for dead after part 2.
EmmanuelZorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 07:23 AM   #19
nx1701g
Admiral

EmmanuelZorg wrote: View Post
Michael should have been left for dead after part 2.
I'm sorry to say that I don't think that'll ever happen. The character has brought the company too much money and, while they're marketing Halloween II as the last one, I doubt that it'll be the end. Rob Zombie, for example, had said he felt his take on the character was over after Halloween, but the producers told him they were going to make another with or without his help so he signed on to do part 2.

I honestly expect in about two years there'll be Halloween 3.
Old August 28 2009, 09:05 AM   #20
Pingfah
Admiral

I like this film personally, i've never been a Michael Myers fan, and whilst Halloween is groundbreaking in ways, and an interesting watch from a historical POV it is also not the best example of it's genre by any means. And viewed in the context of it's own legacy, it's actually quite an average boring slasher flick IMO. So frankly the absence of Myers is unimportant to me.

Halloween III presented a nice little idea, and carried it off fairly effectively. It was creepy, and bloody. For years though the only cut available on video in the UK was heavily edited for a 15 certificate, with scenes like the head wrenching and spurting blood removed entirely. It was always broadcast on TV in it's unedited version though, so I was pleased to finally be able to pick up an unedited DVD of it a little while ago.
Old August 28 2009, 10:37 AM   #21
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I liked this movie; it was creepy and Stacy Nelkin was quite sexy. I wish they had continued with the anthology format. I've never cared too much for Michael Myers/Jason Voorhees-type movies.
Old August 28 2009, 02:09 PM   #22
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

I'm a little surprised that one of the later movies, which involved a cult in Michael's origin and unkillable nature, didn't backhandedly ref this film, as in the children's deaths were part of some revival scheme for Michael.
Old August 28 2009, 03:24 PM   #23
nx1701g
Admiral

^ You know that's a good point. In a way though it was somewhat referenced in The Curse of Michael Myers. In Halloween 3 a character is mentioned named Minnie Blankenship, Mrs. Blankenship later babysits Danny.
Old August 28 2009, 05:37 PM   #24
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ You know that's a good point. In a way though it was somewhat referenced in The Curse of Michael Myers. In Halloween 3 a character is mentioned named Minnie Blankenship, Mrs. Blankenship later babysits Danny.
Thanks, although, maybe one of the veteran crew has that name, and it just got thrown in a couple of times.

I see the villain's scheme the same way I see Rorschach's Journal. Its meant to accomplish a wide goal (informing the world, 'restoring' Halloween) but is more likely than not to become(in that fictional world) just another story of Halloween, just as the journal will become the stuff of conspiracy nuts. People in the H3 world will talk with one another (No, these kids really died that way!) but some will say 'I heard they all got severe encephalitis from bad water'.

At least in this one, the villain was mortal. Unkillable killers need not be clever, which causes their writers to follow suit, at least IMHO.
Old August 28 2009, 05:42 PM   #25
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

Supposedly in H20, Kevin Williamson wanted to have Halloween III playing on the tv in the girls dorm. A kind of wink to the scenes in Season of the Witch where the original Halloween is playing on television throughout the film. For some reason they used Scream 2 footage instead.
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 05:57 PM   #26
Ward Fowler
Commodore

64 days 'til Halloween, Halloween. 64 days 'til Halloween, Silver Shamrock.
Old August 28 2009, 09:07 PM   #27
Daneel
Rear Admiral

^^^Arrgh, now it's in my head!

Vasquez Rocks wrote: View Post
Supposedly in H20, Kevin Williamson wanted to have Halloween III playing on the tv in the girls dorm. A kind of wink to the scenes in Season of the Witch where the original Halloween is playing on television throughout the film. For some reason they used Scream 2 footage instead.
I'd heard they originally wanted to show a scene from So I Married An Axe Murderer (which of course starred Mike Myers) on the TV, just as a little joke.

As for why Season of the Witch wasn't mentioned in The Curse of Michael Myers, as VR said, the original Halloween was shown on TV throughout SOTW, which would seem to indicate that it's not set in the same universe as the other Halloween films.

Of course, H20 and Resurrection clearly aren't set in the same universe as films 4-6, so who the hell knows, really?
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 09:33 PM   #28
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

The movie should have been just called season of the witch. You have too many people expecting Michael Myers.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2009, 07:31 AM   #29
Daneel
Rear Admiral

This film is being shown on the Space channel right now... it does have a certain 80s B-movie charm. And I gotta admit, the final scene is effectively freaky -- I kind of wonder what happened in the aftermath (presuming that Cochran's plan came to fruition, as the ending seems to indicate it does).

Incidentally, there's a completely unrelated movie coming out next year called Season of the Witch -- I say we boycott it for daring to use that title! Who's with me?

I find it more than a little interesting that we're here talking about this mostly-forgotten pseudo-sequel from 1982 when there's a brand new Halloween movie out today. I haven't seen a thread on that one... I guess nobody's that interested. I may go see it in a couple of months -- when it's actually close to Halloween! That's provided I can find it playing somewhere by then, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I think I'll be more in the mood to watch it in October, personally.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2009, 02:03 PM   #30
EmmanuelZorg
Lieutenant Commander

What do you think of Rob Zombie's Halloween movies?

Anyone thinks this movie had a Cronenberg and Lovecraft feel?
EmmanuelZorg is offline   Reply With Quote