Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 27 2009, 09:40 PM   #2221
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

12 minutes to go and it's 2-2 on aggregate. Has O'Neil messed it all up once again? Hmmm...
Old August 27 2009, 10:39 PM   #2222
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Haha, unbelievable, I honestly never ever would have thought that's possible.
Though if Villa had played like that in the first leg already they would have advanced for sure.

Anyway, this victory is huge for Rapid, biggest international success since 1996, and the first time ever an Austrian club kicked out an English one.
Old August 28 2009, 12:12 PM   #2223
Starkers
Admiral

As I said to my Villa supporting mate last night, given how tired they got towards the end of last season exiting this early might prove to be a blessing in disguise...
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 12:58 PM   #2224
Iasius
Rear Admiral

So, to qualify we had to play in Kazakhstan and now two games on Madeira. We certainly do get around (Funchal and Aktobe are 6300 km apart!).

Good luck beating HSV, Roger Wilco.

Last edited by Iasius; August 28 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Iasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 01:03 PM   #2225
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Iasius wrote: View Post

Thanks, good luck beating fucking Austria Wien, Iasius.

It was hilarious how happy the officials from Bremen appeared to be when Austria was drawn in their group.
But they probably were by far the weakest team from pot2.

I'm super happy with Rapid's group, will be great fun for sure, whatever happens, and I'll do everything I can to get a ticket in Hamburg.
Old August 28 2009, 02:15 PM   #2226
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Apparently Vienna and Celtic have some kind of history together?

All I know is Fulham are going to get caned but Everton will have a good chance of getting out of their group as well.
Old August 28 2009, 02:50 PM   #2227
Iasius
Rear Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
I don't know about that, but HSV and Rangers apparently have a Fanfreundschaft (an official good relationship between their respective fan groups, I don't know the equivalent English term), as have Celtic and the local (2nd league) rivals of St. Pauli in Hamburg.

Should be interesting.
Old August 28 2009, 03:07 PM   #2228
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Oh yeah.

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen it live, but the game(s) against Celtic 1984/85 are legendary, an important part of Rapid's history. It was a year when Rapid had a very strong team (they got into the Cup Winner's Cup final where they lost to Everton) that played several other legendary matches too - like winning 5:0 at home against Dynamo Dresden after losing 3:0 away!; and apparently Celtic did too (at least their fans claim, they'd have won the cup if it weren't for us cheating bastards )

So Rapid won the first leg at home 3:1; and after that the stories differ.
- According to Celtic fans, in the second leg Celtic was ahead 3:0 already after playing a furious offensive game and deservedly was on their way of advancing to the next round when one Rapid player dived to the ground feigning injury, claiming something hit him and Rapid cheated their way into a repeat match on neutral ground (in Manchester) which Rapid ended up winning by sheer luck after Celtic had hit the goal bars a number of times already. So according to them, basically Rapid stole Celtic's European trophy.

- According to Rapid fans, Celtic was ahead 3:0 only because the referee was completely on their side, and let them do whatever the fuck they wanted, playing extremely brutal, that the crowd was making trouble all throughout the game (in a way that's far worse btw than what happened recently at West Ham, and that's pretty clear from the videos imo); and Rudi Weinhofer was hit by a whiskey bottle to his head - not the first such incident. In the match in Manchester then, the atmosphere again was extremely loaded and violent against the Rapid players (no Viennese fans dared to go there openly...) check out this video for example, but a brilliant strike by Peter Pacult - the current Rapid coach! - saved the day and Rapid went on to reach the finals.

Take your pick which side you believe.
Old August 28 2009, 03:20 PM   #2229
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Iasius wrote: View Post
So, to qualify we had to play in Kazakhstan and now two games on Madeira. We certainly do get around (Funchal and Aktobe are 6300 km apart!).

Jesus Christ, how many teams does this competition need?

The sooner they go back to the old European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup formats the better.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 07:59 PM   #2230
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

At least now it's more balanced. Having 5 or 6 teams in a group and not playing in a round-robin format was just rubbish. And this will make the transistion into the next round much easier, as 50% of those teams will be gone and only 8 will be added.

I'm looking forward to Vienna v Celtic now - one thing I love about football is the fans' ability to hold a grudge for all eternity and constantly seek vengeance for a defeat. You just don't get that in any other sport, not to the same degree or intensity.
Old August 29 2009, 07:21 PM   #2231
Jax
Admiral

When does Capello name his squad ?
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2009, 10:22 PM   #2232
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Something nobody cares about :
The PSG is 2nd of the French ligue 1 (actually tied with the 1st and 3rd).
Yeah \o/ ! Pity that will certainly not last a long time

*start to dance something that should be a salsa if she was not such a bad dancer*
Old August 30 2009, 10:31 PM   #2233
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Jax wrote: View Post
When does Capello name his squad ?
Goalkeepers: Foster (Manchester United), Green (West Ham), Robinson (Blackburn)
Defenders: Johnson (Liverpool), Brown (Manchester United), Upson (West Ham), Terry (Chelsea, capt), Lescott (Manchester City), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea)
Midfielders: Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Lennon (Tottenham), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Barry (Manchester City), Lampard (Chelsea), Carrick (Manchester United), Gerrard (Liverpool), A Young (Aston Villa), Milner (Aston Villa)
Strikers: Rooney (Manchester United), Heskey (Aston Villa), Defoe (Tottenham), C Cole (West Ham), Crouch (Tottenham).

There we go. No surprises really - Capello's clearly not impressed by Owen and Lennon definitely deserves to be there.

Carrie, I won't lie, I didn't even know the French leagues had started yet I'm normally good with keeping up with most of the European leagues but I completely missed this! PSG came 6th or 7th last year didn't they - are they going one better this year and going for Europe?
Old August 30 2009, 10:43 PM   #2234
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Carrie, I won't lie, I didn't even know the French leagues had started yet I'm normally good with keeping up with most of the European leagues but I completely missed this! PSG came 6th or 7th last year didn't they - are they going one better this year and going for Europe?
Ligue 1 always starts on the 1st week end of August.

PSG ended 6th last year and yes we're hoping they're going for at least the UEFA cup since they've nothing better to do this season

Edited to add :
tonight Marseille vs Bordeaux (the 2 favorite teams this year): 0 -0
Old August 31 2009, 06:32 AM   #2235
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Carrie wrote: View Post
Edited to add :
tonight Marseille vs Bordeaux (the 2 favorite teams this year): 0 -0
What happened to Lyon, didn't they win the title 10 times in a row or something?