Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 26 2009, 08:27 AM   #271
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

View CaptainKen's Twitter Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Kail wrote: View Post
I have a bunch of Garrovick artwork from the comic already. Just throwing that out there.
Did you hear that Michael? Kail is experienced in drawing Garrovick! In fact, he's already drawn! And he looks great.
Old August 26 2009, 09:17 PM   #272
NEO f/x
Lieutenant Commander

CaptainKen wrote: View Post
Kail wrote: View Post
I have a bunch of Garrovick artwork from the comic already. Just throwing that out there.
Did you hear that Michael? Kail is experienced in drawing Garrovick! In fact, he's already drawn! And he looks great.
I know...it was Kail's Exeter comic that really helped me realize he could help with Farragut.

I don't think it has anything to do with the ability to put him in...it is Jimm's and Farragut's desire to do a cross over. I certainly think it is a good idea, but each group may want to stand out on their own.

With that being said, I have put the invite out there for Jimm to make a 'vocal appearance' in the next episode. He just hasn't responded yet (he is typically slow with e-mail).
Old August 26 2009, 11:05 PM   #273
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

No kidding...I haven't heard back from Jimm on any emails in six months! lol
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 04:22 AM   #274
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Jimm is less interested in spending time on the Internet than anyone under the age of forty that I've ever met. He's terribly mentally healthy in that respect.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 06:57 AM   #275
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

Bummer, I would really like to have heard his views on the project and so on. Dennis, did he post much back in the initial stages of the project? Would it be possible to find his old posts?
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 07:09 AM   #276
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

View CaptainKen's Twitter Profile

Michael:
I'm glad you got the invite out to Jimm.

Kail:
See if a test drawing of Garrovick could tempt Michael.

Dennis:
Love the Kennedy quote you tagged on postings.
Old August 27 2009, 05:10 PM   #277
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Thanks.

DestinyCaptain, Jimm and I have always communicated primarily by phone - often lengthy conversations (I can tell you that he enjoyed J.J. Abrams's Star Trek a good deal). Emails tend to be of the "that shot looks good, go ahead and upload the full rendering to the server" type.

The first communication I ever had from Jimm was to an email I sent him in May or June of 2004, to my cell late one afternoon while I was grocery shopping.
Old August 27 2009, 06:20 PM   #278
xortex
Commodore

I think Starship Exeter is awesome as long as power and politics don't go to Jimm's head.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2009, 07:56 PM   #279
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There's not enough of either involved in Starship Exeter to make that much of a risk.
Old August 27 2009, 09:38 PM   #280
xortex
Commodore

Well there should be if it's done right. So far so good. Fans will trickle in especially if it gets better. Believe me they're waiting. Trekkies three is waiting. Why can't Jimm do what James Cawley is doing. There's no saying how good it could get. It could blow Paramount away someday.
Old August 28 2009, 12:28 AM   #281
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

xortex wrote: View Post
Well there should be if it's done right. So far so good. Fans will trickle in especially if it gets better. Believe me they're waiting. Trekkies three is waiting. Why can't Jimm do what James Cawley is doing. There's no saying how good it could get. It could blow Paramount away someday.
There is the small matter of that pesky Copyright Paramount has on the franchise. James Cawley and CEC/RFS have gotten rights to web production of 'Buck Rogers Begins' and I'm guessing will try to turn that into cash, but with the success of JJA Trek in making money, you can kiss any hope that Paramount might license Trek usage to fan productions 'goodbye'.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 02:37 AM   #282
xortex
Commodore

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. star Trek is always changing. A good product is a good product. What Gene did could be done again with the right people. Classic Trek vrs nu Trek sounds like the coke a cola scheme. It turned out pretty good for them. I don't see how one produced version hurts another. Exeter is not looking to make money. Why can Buck Rogers make money and not Star Trek. I don't get it. It's the people who decide not the brass.
Old August 28 2009, 02:41 AM   #283
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. star Trek is always changing. A good product is a good product. What Gene did could be done again with the right people. Classic Trek vrs nu Trek sounds like the coke a cola scheme. It turned out pretty good for them. I don't see how one produced version hurts another. Exeter is not looking to make money. Why can Buck Rogers make money and not Star Trek. I don't get it. It's the people who decide not the brass.
In this case Paramount OWNS Star Trek and can license it how it pleases.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 03:17 AM   #284
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

It's the owners of the property who decide, not the people. The "people" don't get to make money from someone else's Star Trek property any more than the "people" can decide to sell your car and make money from it.

We can make money from Buck Rogers because we've secured permission--that is, a license to the property from the owners of "Buck Rogers" to do exactly that. We can't make a single dime from Star Trek because we haven't secured permission--that is, a license to the property from the companies that own it. That's why it's free to viewers. We make the episodes and are obligated to get nothing in return.

Having different versions of the Star Trek universe out there might or might not be a good idea. But it would, of course, be up to the owners of Star Trek to decide what's best for Star Trek.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2009, 05:46 AM   #285
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

I think Xortex is trying to make the case that these fan productions aren't doing anything to compete with Paramount's product, but instead complement it. Certainly it's Paramount's right to discourage anyone else from making a profit on their trademark, but some might argue that that isn't the smartest choice.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Paramount try to nurture these fan-based productions and let them earn a profit in exchange for a fair percentage.