Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 24 2009, 10:31 PM   #2191
StolenThunder
Poster

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I watched the game (a rare event). Liverpool were thoroughly average to disappointing, solid performance from Villa. Result reflected the match.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2009, 10:42 PM   #2192
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Ouch to Liverpool, not the start I expected from them.
Old August 24 2009, 10:43 PM   #2193
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

StolenThunder wrote: View Post
I watched the game (a rare event). Liverpool were thoroughly average to disappointing, solid performance from Villa. Result reflected the match.
I'm not sure it did. Liverpool weren't brilliant, but an OG, a penalty, Liverpool hitting the post...
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2009, 08:11 AM   #2194
StolenThunder
Poster

Maybe I went a little far there, but I still think it was a deserved Villa win. The team played well and Liverpool either wasted or at least didn't make the most of their chances - and didn't make enough clear opportunities in the first place. The penalty and the header were Liverpool not defending well enough and Villa putting the ball between the sticks.
Old August 25 2009, 08:21 AM   #2195
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Damn, now I'm getting even more pessemistic for thursday again. I hoped Villa would get a solid pounding by Liverpool so they'd put all their attention to the league.
Old August 25 2009, 01:49 PM   #2196
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Villa weren't especially good, aside from Friedel. Their goal was battered for most of the match, but an og, a set-piece and a penalty gave them a good win. That's football. If Benayoun's effort found the net in the first minute, it's a different match.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2009, 01:57 PM   #2197
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ A set-piece 90 seconds into 60 seconds of added time!
Old August 25 2009, 04:13 PM   #2198
Starkers
Admiral

Hey as the 4th official told Rafa. "It's a minimum of a minute of injury time, not an actual minute."

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2009, 07:54 PM   #2199
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Hey as the 4th official told Rafa. "It's a minimum of a minute of injury time, not an actual minute."
Next time Reina won't waste time by shouting at the ref for what was a clear corner. Liverpool has always been easy to expose from set pieces during Rafa's reign.
Old August 25 2009, 09:20 PM   #2200
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Sounds like some pretty nasty crowd trouble at Upton Park tonight. Millwall hooligans and idiots *sigh* I hope it doesn't get too horrific West Ham are having a terrible time of it this last week or so.
Old August 25 2009, 09:44 PM   #2201
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Next time Reina won't waste time by shouting at the ref for what was a clear corner. Liverpool has always been easy to expose from set pieces during Rafa's reign.

Not actually true at all, despite what Sky Sports like to tell their viewers.

In the last year or so we have looked more vulnerable, but that's more to do with replacing players like Hyypia, Sissoko, Hamann, Riise and Crouch with Skrtel, Mascherano, Lucas, Insua and Benayoun. We don't have a great deal of height in the side, which does make it easier to beat us with high balls into the box. The zonal marking system is not to blame.
Old August 25 2009, 09:50 PM   #2202
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Sounds like some pretty nasty crowd trouble at Upton Park tonight. Millwall hooligans and idiots *sigh* I hope it doesn't get too horrific West Ham are having a terrible time of it this last week or so.
Let's not just blame Milwall fans. It takes two, and Hammers aren't exactly shrinking violets.

There are suggestions it was arranged, which is distressing. The last thing we need is a return of the ICF and the Bushwackers.
Old August 26 2009, 12:19 AM   #2203
Jax
Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post

Not actually true at all, despite what Sky Sports like to tell their viewers.

In the last year or so we have looked more vulnerable, but that's more to do with replacing players like Hyypia, Sissoko, Hamann, Riise and Crouch with Skrtel, Mascherano, Lucas, Insua and Benayoun. We don't have a great deal of height in the side, which does make it easier to beat us with high balls into the box. The zonal marking system is not to blame.
I cudn't believe how many pundits said Liverpool were going to win the title or get really close again. Looking at the players you lost and what you brought in, the squad size or should I say overall quality is quite shocking compared to what you've had in recent years. Your first 11 is a solid one but everyone gets injuries and I just don't buy the likes of Insua, Lucas, Babel, N'Gog etc can help you win anything...

Glen Johnson price tag is a joke only beaten by Lescott's tag, the boy is good going forward but is far too easy to get pass when it comes to defending. Alonso leaving was the last nail in the coffin to any PL bid and now I think your the team that are suspectable to losing your top 4 place like in 2005 though I still expect you to finish 4th.
Old August 26 2009, 07:00 AM   #2204
Hermiod
Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Let's not just blame Milwall fans. It takes two, and Hammers aren't exactly shrinking violets.

There are suggestions it was arranged, which is distressing. The last thing we need is a return of the ICF and the Bushwackers.
That makes Luke and Butch sad.

I'm not going to blame Millwall entirely, but from what I've read this morning there were large groups of Millwall "supporters" without tickets attacking West Ham supporters indiscriminately.

At this point, the only way to resolve this is to punish the club. Not financially, that never does any good. Both West Ham and Millwall should be thrown out of the competition now and once an investigation has been conducted the club whose supporters are to blame should receive a severe points deduction.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2009, 08:35 AM   #2205
StolenThunder
Poster

Hermiod wrote: View Post
At this point, the only way to resolve this is to punish the club. Not financially, that never does any good. Both West Ham and Millwall should be thrown out of the competition now and once an investigation has been conducted the club whose supporters are to blame should receive a severe points deduction.
I agree, throw the clubs out. I wouldn't be averse to some games without spectators for both clubs too.

People take their kids to see these clubs. It's despicable behaviour.