Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 20 2009, 01:45 AM   #211
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Absolutely. He's never worked out a day in his life, so I'm trying to teach him good habits.

He could not wrap his head around how much pain he was in the 2-3 days after his first Leg Day.
I trained an unofficial poster boy...he was going to be my project, all 377 pounds of him. After 3 weeks and a weight loss of 15 pounds, his personal probs got in the way. A day later he was eating at Wendy's. Damn shame.

RAMA
Old August 20 2009, 04:36 AM   #212
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Ugh going to a gym that is open till 11pm has its perks but tonight I ran out of energy at 10:30. I'm not going that late again.

RAMA
Old August 20 2009, 04:41 AM   #213
RoJoHen
Awesome

Aw, I love my 24-hour gym because I usually don't even get the energy to work out until about midnight. I was at a gym that closed at 10pm for a while, and it was awful because I had to force myself to workout a lot earlier than my body was ready for.
Old August 20 2009, 05:56 AM   #214
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I quit my gym membership at 24HF two years ago and decided to get an elliptical mchine, which I use most days of the week. Besides, when I had gym membership, I did mostly cardio stuff anyway. I got tired of other people monopolizing the weight equipment and the dingy locker room and showers. Ialso have dumbells and a fitness "ball"at home, but I would definitely like to try a variety of exercises; that's the only thing I'm missing from my gym days.

I've also been eating more veggies lately (salad for lunch).
Cardio is great for fat burning, but don't forget that its the lean body mass gained from weight bearing exercises that'll be the most beneficial long term. Every pound of lean muscle will increase your metabolism. The calories you burn of with cardio can be quickly re-added, but the lean mass will keep burning long after you get off the elliptical.

RAMA
I'll try to add more resistance training to my daily workout.
Old August 20 2009, 11:32 AM   #215
RoJoHen
Awesome

I haven't had a decent workout in about a week due to lack of sleep and food. Tonight I worked out 3 times. The first time was awful, so I quit. Then I tried again, and it also sucked. Then, for some reason, I got huge burst of energy around 3am, so I decided to try again. Third time was the charm. My workout was awesome!

Now it's 5:30am, and I'm pumped...I will never get to bed.
Old August 25 2009, 08:02 PM   #216
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I haven't had a decent workout in about a week due to lack of sleep and food. Tonight I worked out 3 times. The first time was awful, so I quit. Then I tried again, and it also sucked. Then, for some reason, I got huge burst of energy around 3am, so I decided to try again. Third time was the charm. My workout was awesome!

Now it's 5:30am, and I'm pumped...I will never get to bed.
Just thinking about lifting that late make me want to yawn and take a nap.
Old August 25 2009, 08:06 PM   #217
RoJoHen
Awesome

I've done it the last 2 days as well. Didn't actually make it to bed until about 7am.
Old August 25 2009, 11:18 PM   #218
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I've done it the last 2 days as well. Didn't actually make it to bed until about 7am.
wtf are you on a shift schedule or something?? That doesn't sound too healthy if you're not sleeping.

RAMA
Old August 26 2009, 06:49 AM   #219
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

I think he is. But I'd be too buzzed to go to sleep if I worked out like that.
Old August 26 2009, 07:14 AM   #220
RoJoHen
Awesome

RAMA wrote: View Post
wtf are you on a shift schedule or something?? That doesn't sound too healthy if you're not sleeping.

RAMA
I work 4pm-midnight, and I usually workout after I've gotten off work. I usually don't wake up until 2 in the afternoon. I am pretty much a nocturnal being.
Old August 28 2009, 01:04 AM   #221
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

I got back from my month-long road trip a few days ago, stepped on the scale and said "ACK!" Time to get back to a decent diet and exercise program.

Of course, the first thing I did was wrench my back on my first day back at work (lifting wine cases), so I'm going to have to take it easy for a bit. But I did go back to the gym yesterday and did some stretching and upper body work. I plan to get back to a real weight workout again when my back isn't killing me.

I have been walking/jogging every day, though. And I have returned to virtuous eating habits ... lots of protein, plenty of veggies, and fewer carbs. I've also (*GASP!*) cut out alcohol for the most part.

I know I'm out of shape when my 14-year-old arthritic dog can run faster than I can. I'm used to leaving her home because she can't keep up - but for now she's moving better than I am!
Old August 28 2009, 06:56 PM   #222
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I've been walking quite a bit the past several months - 3-5 times per week, 3-4 miles per walk. I love it - I've always loved walking. But the problem is that winter, with those short, short days, is coming soon, and while I live in a nice, safe small town, I know I won't be able to keep up this schedule once it's dark pretty much every moment I'm not at work. Walking in the dark isn't so bad, and walking in the cold, with or without snow, isn't bad, either, but slush, snow or bitter cold combined with dark...not so good.

We have a fitness center here at the office - which is great, don't get me wrong, but...dear God, is the treadmill boring compared to walking out in the real world. So is the elliptical trainer. And as for the stairmaster, that may be the most boring thing ever. I used to use it pretty regularly a few years ago, and I felt like a draft horse grinding wheat or something. ("Come on, Kate!" ::crack:: "Move it along there, old girl!" ) B-o-o-o-o-O-O-O-O-o-o-o-o-oring! There's a TV in there...I could use my iPod...but golly, that all sounds boring, too, compared to looking at squirrels and houses and people and the herons that nest in the park and...

Does anybody have any suggestions for making indoor exercising less b-o-o-o-o-O-O-O-O-o-o-o-o-oring? I don't want to lose all this conditioning I've worked so hard for.

Last edited by JustKate; August 28 2009 at 08:23 PM.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2009, 11:53 PM   #223
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I cleaned up my lagging nutrition...I'm losing bodyfat now. Training hard on new supplements..my strength goes up every week. Last night attempted a curl max for the first time in a long time, hit 185. Still off my best by 40 lbs. My set total was 20 pounds higher than last week.

RAMA
Old September 1 2009, 03:18 PM   #224
Michael Chris
Admiral

I'm doing well. I'm feeling increased strength and my stomach and chest are even tightening up a bit!

My endurance has significantly improved. I was playing volleyball all weekend. Unfortunately I forgot sunscreen for about an hour of that (I'm a tomato)!
Old September 1 2009, 08:02 PM   #225
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

JustKate, I know what you mean about the treadmill. Nothing compares to the great outdoors, and I used to walk in the park before I decided to join a gym back in early 2000s. I felt the same way when I first started using cardio equipment all those years ago, but it really is just a matter of getting used to. I like elliptical machines better, which is more low-impact (and what I use at home) compared to running on a treadmill. I'd hate to say it, but listening to your I-Pod or watching the evening news is probably the best type of motivation/entertainment you'll get while using your treadmill. Some people say they like Wii Fit, which I've never tried before. It looks fun and effective.