Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 10 2009, 06:01 PM   #166
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Re: WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

Saquist wrote: View Post
This is fantastic.
It's the Deck where Spock leaves the ship in Motion Picture.
Many thought these were landing pads.

Intresting note. The Galaxy has the same sort of portals for the saucer cargo bays, which shell open to reveal the actual preasure doors behind what we commonly see on the set.

Is this all solid model or is there a combination here?
It is all solid model. I hate working with meshes alone. I build everything out of solids - much easier to work with (though some curves are much more difficult to implement)
Old August 10 2009, 08:04 PM   #167
Saquist
Commodore

Hmm. That means that afteryou're done you might have one of the most accurate estimation of the constitution's mass by using "massprop" command.

We know that the ships were made of duranium & Tritanium.
Tritanium was 21.4 harder than diamond.
Well perhaps the best speculative estimated.

Last edited by Saquist; August 11 2009 at 06:43 PM.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2009, 02:46 PM   #168
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Good news everyone! Just spent a small fortune on a new workstation, and will shortly be upgrading my AutoCAD from R13 to something more modern (probably AutoCAD 2000). With my new 64-bit system and a more modern version of AutoCAD, I should be able to get things done faster; and be able to better model some aspects of this ship. (Yes, I know I'll still be running a 32-bit app, but with 12GB of system memory, I should be able to let the app use up to 4GB without any problem).

Probably be another week or two before I get things ready to roll on the new system, and get the model transferred between AutoCAD versions.
Old August 18 2009, 07:37 PM   #169
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

CTM wrote: View Post
Good news everyone! Just spent a small fortune on a new workstation, and will shortly be upgrading my AutoCAD from R13 to something more modern (probably AutoCAD 2000). With my new 64-bit system and a more modern version of AutoCAD, I should be able to get things done faster; and be able to better model some aspects of this ship. (Yes, I know I'll still be running a 32-bit app, but with 12GB of system memory, I should be able to let the app use up to 4GB without any problem).

Probably be another week or two before I get things ready to roll on the new system, and get the model transferred between AutoCAD versions.
Aw, crap, now I have even more reason to go spend too much money on my own upgrade!
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2009, 07:55 PM   #170
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post

Aw, crap, now I have even more reason to go spend too much money on my own upgrade!
Old August 20 2009, 01:34 AM   #171
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

while I wait for my new system to finish formatting my 3TB RAID, I tried hiding lines on my G-deck wireframe (just G-deck). Heap stack overflow. Oh well, there's a reason I'm upgrading Hardware, OS, and App. Here's my in-progress G-deck wireframe.

Old August 21 2009, 02:58 AM   #172
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

Um you might want to check on version compatibility between AutoCAD and 64 Bit processors. IIRC 2008 was the first version that worked on / was designed for 64 bit processors. If thats out of your league, try to shoot for 2004 at least. The changes between 00 and 04 were tremendous.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2009, 06:40 PM   #173
Saquist
Commodore

The Epic continues.
Old August 25 2009, 02:35 AM   #174
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

It works!!! Yippe!

I installed WINE (32-bit) under my CENTOS 5.3 (64-bit) OS today, and then installed my newly acquired copy of AutoCAD 2000 (took some registry editing to get it to report as WinNT4SP3). Running on a 2.6GHz Core i7 with 12GB RAM it runs SO much better (though the commands are taking some getting used to). It was able to render the whole model in (relatively) short time - and without a Heap Stack overflow!

So, here is the work as it exists to date:
Old August 25 2009, 03:53 AM   #175
dougkeenan
Commander

View dougkeenan's Twitter Profile

Wow! Looks great. How long for a render?
dougkeenan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2009, 04:05 AM   #176
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

dougkeenan wrote: View Post
Wow! Looks great. How long for a render?
I don't know for sure. I started it rendering, then went to dinner. When we came home a couple hours later it was done.

On my old system, with R13, only doing the secondary and neck, it would take a few hours. Once I started on the saucer, it had grown too large to render (you can look back and see when I stopped rendering the whole model) without hitting a heap-stack overflow and closing.
Old August 25 2009, 12:51 PM   #177
Saquist
Commodore

12 Gigs of ram...
wow
Old August 25 2009, 01:16 PM   #178
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

12 Gigs of ram...
wow
To be fair, I built it to be a File Server, host multiple VMs, and run AutoCAD and Blender (all at the same time). I may have overbuilt for now, but I won't do much in the way of upgrades for a long while. All my older systems were much older technology (Pentium 4's at best, IDE drives, etc.), so if I was going to move to new technology, I needed to either buy two good systems (one for myself and one for my wife - who is also a computer person), or buy one REALLY GOOD system that we can use simultaneously from remote systems (what the Virtual Machines - I love VMware Server - are for) and the local system. Eventually, I'm going to implement a Dual Head Interface (It appears to require some kernel mods) so that two people can be logged into X at the same time from two different keyboard-mouse-monitor heads. I'm not quite there yet with the configuration. It may be a bit of a mainframe style configuration, but for most things our older Pentium 4 laptops are sufficient, and the new things we can run remotely on the new computer.
Old August 25 2009, 03:36 PM   #179
B.J.
Rear Admiral

....Heap Stack overflow....
^ Every time I see that phrase, my mind immediately snaps back to the old movie/cartoon stereotype of American Indians!
Old August 26 2009, 12:49 PM   #180
Saquist
Commodore

12 Gigs of ram...
wow
To be fair, I built it to be a File Server, host multiple VMs, and run AutoCAD and Blender (all at the same time). I may have overbuilt for now, but I won't do much in the way of upgrades for a long while. All my older systems were much older technology (Pentium 4's at best, IDE drives, etc.), so if I was going to move to new technology, I needed to either buy two good systems (one for myself and one for my wife - who is also a computer person), or buy one REALLY GOOD system that we can use simultaneously from remote systems (what the Virtual Machines - I love VMware Server - are for) and the local system. Eventually, I'm going to implement a Dual Head Interface (It appears to require some kernel mods) so that two people can be logged into X at the same time from two different keyboard-mouse-monitor heads. I'm not quite there yet with the configuration. It may be a bit of a mainframe style configuration, but for most things our older Pentium 4 laptops are sufficient, and the new things we can run remotely on the new computer.
Amazing though what AutoCAD can do when it's given a world of power. I've become a believer in the 3D too. All my work projects will from now on be produced in 3D and 2D sideby side to judge potential conflicts.

This project of yours, Enterprise Deck by Deck has convinced me of the necessity.

I'm also looking for an upgrade on my computer at home. Perhaps I should have the bad boy built and apparently built like a server.