Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 21 2009, 11:28 PM   #16
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

Re: Favorite Watchmen character?

Dr. Manhattan. I always root for the overdog.
Rageforthemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 11:33 PM   #17
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
Nite Owl II would have to be the character I like/identify with most.
Yeah, because he's the only one who isn't a sociopath.
Old August 21 2009, 11:33 PM   #18
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Eh, between the two of them, they're just Batman, not sure of the huge draw. Rorschach is the violence, rage, and Detective side, and Nite Owl II is the rich guy with gadgets that dresses like a bird. And since they were partners, you've basically got Batman there.
One analysis of the film (and I'm thinking it was from Timothy Callahan, but I could be wrong) pointed out that, while he had read Watchmen dozens of times, it hadn't occurred to him until he saw the film that the story is basically the ultimate Batman vs. Superman story, albeit one in which Batman is broken down into three components.

Rohrschach is Batman-as-violence. Nite Owl II is Batman-as-tinkerer. Ozymandias is Batman-as-genius.

What impressed me about the movie is that, coming out of it, I so wanted to see a solo Nite Owl film. Patrick Wilson kicked some serious ass as the character, and he invested Moore's loser with some emotional weight.

ETA: Damn, my memory's frightfully good, that I could remember one single five-month old blog post with that much specificity. Said Callahan:
"Watchmen" is really a story about Batman vs. Superman. I never realized it before, because I was always reading it as a book about Charlton analogues, but the movie doesn't have that same context and so the movie becomes about the three aspects of Batman (the obsessed vigilante, Rorschach; the kind-hearted gadgeteer, Nite Owl; and the self-made fighting machine with a gazillion bucks, Ozymandias) in conflict with an ever-distant, alien Superman (Dr. Manhattan, obviously). As a Batman vs. Superman movie, "Watchmen" is pretty cool.

I am not sure if I by this. The Batman analogy is very apt, but I don't see DM as Superman at all. While they are both super-beings Superman is very invested in Earth and its fate. He is an outsider who came to adopt his new homeland as his own. Dr. Manhattan couldn't care less and that apathy born from his being so far beyond everyone else. He comes from Earth, but loses all interest in it. Besides since Ozymandias is the protagonist in the story it might better be a study of Batmans schizophrenia
Rageforthemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 12:13 AM   #19
Thrall
Commodore

Rorschach. Going for the obvious irony that the serial killer is the only one with a conscience at the end.
Old August 22 2009, 12:17 AM   #20
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

The Comedian and Ozymandias.
Old August 22 2009, 02:08 AM   #21
Mr Light
Admiral

Gotta go with Rorschach! Ozy is a fascinating villain. Manhattan is interesting. Nite Owl and Silk Spectre I found generally very boring and uninteresting, but in a way they're supposed to be. They're the "normal" ones.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 02:20 AM   #22
Too Much Fun
Commodore

broberfett wrote: View Post
Rorschach's voice doesn't bug me like Christian Bale's Batman voice which I think really sucks. They are very close though.
I felt the same way, and initially I wasn't sure why. I think I figured out the reasons are that first, Rorschach's voice always sounds the same, whether he's masked or not, so it sounds more natural, and second, apparently Bale's voice being as stupid as it was isn't just because of his own poor performance, but also because it was edited electronically. Batman using a cheerful, wussy voice as Bruce Wayne and a gruff, tough guy voice as Batman worked in animation, but it just doesn't in a movie. Even with someone other than Bale, I think it would have been hard for any actor to pull that off.

He should have just used the same voice he uses as Wayne...it's not obvious at all who he is under that mask. At least not as obvious as Superman who only has glasses, clothing, and hairstyle to differentiate his look between when he's Superman and when he's Clark. If people can't tell he's Superman with only those differences and the same voice, why would Wayne's voice alone give away who he is?
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 04:10 AM   #23
23skidoo
Admiral

Nite Owl I, particularly the older version. I thought he came across as a cool guy (he's great in the Behind the Mask documentary on the Black Freighter DVD) and, frankly, was the only superhero of the bunch of them (old and new) who truly came across as really heroic in my eyes.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 04:22 AM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
apparently Bale's voice being as stupid as it was isn't just because of his own poor performance, but also because it was edited electronically.
Are you sure about that? Where did you hear this?
Old August 22 2009, 05:27 AM   #25
CaptMurdock
Commodore

View CaptMurdock's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CaptMurdock Send a message via Yahoo to CaptMurdock

Rorschach. I just love his "costume": a trenchcoat over a pinstripe suit, fedora and the inkblot mask. If I were a superhero, that's what I'd wear. No capes, no tights!
Old August 22 2009, 02:52 PM   #26
miraclefan
Commodore

Rorschach.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2009, 10:05 PM   #27
Orintho
Vice Admiral

The Comedian and Rorscharch. But the other heroes were also interestng.
Old August 23 2009, 11:09 AM   #28
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Rorschach and Night Owl II for me. Ozymandias is third just because he's interesting to me as well as cool. While the first two are just plain bad ass. I also liked the movie version of Silk Specter over the comic book version. I wish they would have let Malin use her normal blonde hair like in the comics, she used a wig in her superhero identity.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2009, 02:21 PM   #29
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Commedian. He was a gung ho thug, but damn, was he happy about it.
Old August 23 2009, 03:17 PM   #30
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
apparently Bale's voice being as stupid as it was isn't just because of his own poor performance, but also because it was edited electronically.
Are you sure about that? Where did you hear this?
Not sure, I think I read it online somewhere. It makes sense if it's true that he almost lost his voice trying to do the Batman voice in the first one. I figured they'd manipulate it to make the process a little easier on him. And back on topic, I like Rorschach most too, even before the movie. Dr. Manhattan kinda pissed me off because he always acted like he was above everyone and everything (which is understandable, but still), and I thought Ozymandias was a lot cooler and more likable in the book.

In the movie, he acted like a cocky asshole from the moment you saw him, but in the book he was more affable...I enjoyed his cheerful (less pompous) self-promotion and all his merchandising with action figures and stuff. He seemed like a pretty nice guy, which made the ending more surprising in the book.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote