Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 21 2009, 07:31 AM   #76
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: TrekBBS Contest: Name the Twitter Bird!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I know how you feel. I have an Acer Aspire One, resolution 1024x600. This setup just eats up all my screen space. I'd have better luck using a Ouija board and a bag of tea grounds.
I don't think it's even just an issue for non-premium members since all of the sidebars have gotten wider. It doesn't even look right on my 1680x1050 display at home.

It also increases the need for a mobile friendly version of the site as it doesn't display very well at all on my phone anymore.

I can understand that the state of the advertising market is such that these things might be necessary but I'd buy a premium membership just for the option to turn the sidebars off entirely.

Oh, and as for the bird, this place is run by a Romulan - wrong type of bird entirely.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 08:06 AM   #77
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper

Send a message via Yahoo to ZUUL-iet

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
Zathras.
Or even better: Zathras.

Or maybe: Zathras.
I prefer Zathras.

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Gene, the small bird of the galaxy!
This I like.

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Big blue
How about Little Blue?

There is no Zion Ravescene, only Zulu Romeo...
ZUUL-iet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 08:19 AM   #78
Rocketman

Hermiod wrote: View Post
I can understand that the state of the advertising market is such that these things might be necessary but I'd buy a premium membership just for the option to turn the sidebars off entirely.
Might not help for the mobile version, but I've hacked up a quick GreaseMonkey script, downloadable here. Install the GreaseMonkey plugin, save the file as untwittrekbbs.user.js, open in firefox, and you get to enjoy the BBS in wide-screen glory once again.
Old August 21 2009, 08:41 AM   #79
Australis
Writer

I'm missing something, it just opens the file in FF as text
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 08:44 AM   #80
Hermiod
Admiral

Rocketman wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
Might not help for the mobile version, but I've hacked up a quick GreaseMonkey script, downloadable here. Install the GreaseMonkey plugin, save the file as untwittrekbbs.user.js, open in firefox, and you get to enjoy the BBS in wide-screen glory once again.
Thanks! That worked perfectly. My point remains, though, I'd prefer to be able to turn it off without using a script.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 08:44 AM   #81
Rocketman

Re: Australis: Have you installed the GreaseMonkey plugin? It should open up a screen offering you to install the script.
Old August 21 2009, 08:47 AM   #82
Australis
Writer

No, I don't think it offered. Give me a minute.

ETA: Whoops, missed the bit about installing the GM add-on. Now done. Still the same. What directory should the js file be in? I've put it in FF\modules
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old August 21 2009, 10:41 AM   #83
captcalhoun
Admiral

deadmeat
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 10:54 AM   #84
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Jeez-this thing cuts my screen in half at home! Kill the bird, kill the bird, somebody, kill the bird!(Sung to the tune of Oh, Clementine!)

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 10:55 AM   #85
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Mistral wrote: View Post
Jeez-this thing cuts my screen in half at home! Kill the bird, kill the bird, somebody, kill the bird!(Sung to the tune of Oh, Clementine!)
Well, it's not actually the bird causing it. It's the new "features" block that has been expanded. I like to call it "Screen Killer".

J.
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 11:06 AM   #86
Rocketman

Australis wrote: View Post
No, I don't think it offered. Give me a minute.

ETA: Whoops, missed the bit about installing the GM add-on. Now done. Still the same. What directory should the js file be in? I've put it in FF\modules
Shouldn't matter. As long as you give it a filename ending in .user.js

Old August 21 2009, 11:27 AM   #87
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Big blue
How about Little Blue?
I like
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 12:26 PM   #88
Scout101
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Mistral wrote: View Post
Well, it's not actually the bird causing it. It's the new "features" block that has been expanded. I like to call it "Screen Killer".

J.
There's no reason they couldn't reduce the size of the sidebar, is there? Better off to have a readable BBS, and then Twitter links that take 2 lines to get through. It's just a friggin' link, after all.

And if the top banner ad isn't going to stretch to fit the new size, seems like there's room for BOTH banner ads up top. and can lose the one on the right.

Then again, tough to discuss this when the QSF threads are locked down at the first sign of anything other than praise. Be nice to actually discuss these things rationally...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 12:51 PM   #89
captcalhoun
Admiral

oo! new one: 'lunch'!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 12:53 PM   #90
Australis
Writer

It's not the Twitter pic. Not. At .All.

Future plans include having a 300 pixel wide column on that side. Much too wide for my little screen.

Rocketman, Under Extensions --> Greasemonkey --> Options, there's a window titled Mange User Scripts. In the Included Pages frame, it won't let me add the tbbs website, or edit the script in the left frame. What am I doing wrong? (FF 3.5.2, Win XP).