TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 13 2009, 12:00 AM   #391
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Right, like the 28 Days zombies.
Ah, okay; I haven't seen 28 Days yet.

SilentP wrote: View Post
[Rec] is definitely a film I actually need to go about watching. I bought it a while back, but when I watched it, I think by then I had been watching too many zombie films, and after the first attack, my body partially decided it had enough, so I wasn't feeling too good to finish it
Ouch. Yeah, I have to be in the right mood for a gory flick.

As for the cinema verite camera style, while it does occasionally stretch believability about a person filming everything, I enjoy the restriction of viewpoint in puts the viewer in, so the film doesn't do the usual suspenseful music cues when something's going to happen or purposeful shots of where 'nothing' is to raise tension, and instead just leaving us with what the protagonists can see.
I agree. It's the visual equivalent of first-person narration, which always has limitations; but it's very, very difficult to pull off in film.
Old August 13 2009, 06:01 AM   #392
sojourner
Admiral

I have seen Quarantine and thought it was pretty good. The female lead was actually fairly good. She had me convinced she was really scared shitless. From what I have read here it sounds like it stayed pretty faithful to [Rec].

If you like zombie movies you'll enjoy it. Added points if you like the 28day/nuDOTD zombies.
Old August 16 2009, 10:33 AM   #393
RJDiogenes

I just got Lio's Astonishing Tales: From the Haunted Crypt of Unknown Horrors. This is one of my favorite comic strips of all time and should appeal to Horror fans with a sense of humor. I know you like it, Spiff, and you will love this book. It has Mark Tatulli's original sketches and developmental drawings for the characters. It also has a lot of interesting commentary on a lot of the individual strips.
Old August 16 2009, 10:53 AM   #394
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Yep, I've already got that one--had it pre-ordered.

It's a great collection. It's amazing to see which strips upset readers or editors and why.

Last night I watched the Amityville Horror remake, against my better judgment. It was pretty much what I expected from Platinum Dunes--lots of flash and quick cuts, with loads of scenes we've seen in better movies. It wasn't as brain-numbingly dull as the original, but that's some really faint praise. I only mention it because it's the last horror movie I've seen, and right now I'm catching up on a few non-horror comic trades. (The first Mouse Guard trade was swell. )
Old August 17 2009, 09:41 AM   #395
RJDiogenes

I should have known you'd beat me to it. I do get a kick out of the things that people get offended about, and the things that make editors nervous.
Old August 17 2009, 10:15 AM   #396
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

^ Tatulli's been doing his damnedest online to let everyone know that it's released.

Oh, and if you want to see a fun modern killer croc movie, check out Rogue. I know, the cover is dumb, as is the "DIMENSION EXTREME!!!!!" label, but the wife and I had fun watching it. When you see "From the director of Wolf Creek" across the bottom, it sounds like it's going to be a little too rough, but the director knows he's making a creature feature. In fact, the "extreme" label seems a little misleading. There are certainly shots of gore, but nothing to really warrant the "extreme" or even the "unrated."

The effects for the croc go back and forth between being practical and CG. The latter is surprisingly well done. The croc has a good sense of heft, even in the way it has to drag its huge body across the ground.

Most of the acting's good, and the cinematography is beautiful. Somehow, they lucked out and got permission to film in a portion of the Australian outback that's never been filmed before. For that alone, the movie's worth a look; there are really some stunning shots.

Here's the review that convinced me to rent it. I'm glad I did. Sometimes, when I pick a horror rental that's pretty bad, I hear about it for a while from Lady Spiff. This one, she enjoyed.
Old August 18 2009, 12:42 AM   #397
RJDiogenes

Sounds interesting; I love a good Creature Feature. And I see that the guy from Alias is in it-- I always wondered if he'd work again. Is this a mutant or science experiment gone wrong, or just a normal animal at the far end of the possible size spectrum? And I'm not sure I understand why Giant Killer Croc has to wait for the tide to come in....
Old August 18 2009, 03:26 AM   #398
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

It's just a normal croc at the far end of the size spectrum. I think they say it's 25 feet long in the movie. According to the trusty Internet, the record is around 28.

The croc doesn't have to wait for the tide, and doesn't a couple of times, if memory serves. But the point is that they get stuck on a little patch of land that will be almost entirely submerged once the tide comes in. So they're already in danger just by being stuck there, but they won't even be able to huddle on land and hope help arrives.

Vartan's pretty good in it, playing a character who's a little less likable than he usually plays. My wife commented that he's also in Hawthorne, which she watches, but I don't. (I can't stand Jada Pinkett Smith. )

I've also just read about The William Castle Film Collection. Whether or not you'll be excited about it depends on how many of the movies you already own. Included are:

Homicidal
Mr. Sardonicus
Zotz!
The Old Dark House
The Tingler
13 Ghosts
13 Frightened Girls!
Strait-Jacket

Of those, somehow, the only one I have is The Tingler, so I'm pretty pleased about it. I'm also looking forward to finally seeing his The Old Dark House remake. I don't know how I don't have Mr. Sardonicus or 13 Ghosts, but I don't.

But some fans are annoyed that so many of these are reissues, and don't want to double-dip.
Old August 18 2009, 09:44 AM   #399
RJDiogenes

I don't think I have any of them, so this will be a good buy for me. I don't think I was aware of his Old Dark House remake; maybe I'll remember it when I see it. I love the original. Seems like I saw Mr Sardonicus and The Tingler not too long ago....
Old August 20 2009, 08:22 AM   #400
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Maybe there's still hope for The Wolfman. They're supposed to finally release the trailer sometime Thursday, and they've posted a bunch of pics from the movie on the Yahoo site where it'll show up.

They included the Rick Baker make-up in the pics, and there are several we haven't seen before, which still seem to imply a two-legged Wolfman. I like this shot as well as a peek at his claws. That's definitely a hand, so maybe the rumors of a four-legged Wolfman were just that. Here's hoping.

I also like that we can identify some characters right away. My fingers are crossed.

Aside from that, what was the final verdict on Monstrous? I've been in the mood for an anthology, so I'm tempted by that and The Living Dead. I'm leaning toward the latter, because of all the great names in there, but I could go for giant creature tales, too.
Old August 20 2009, 09:46 AM   #401
RJDiogenes

The two pictures with Emily Blunt also seem to imply a two-legged Wolfman.

No final verdict on Monstrous yet; I took a break to read Consider Phlebas and some other things. That's no reflection on the book-- although I Posted about the editorial problems earlier-- because I do that with all anthologies. I have a habit of dipping into anthologies periodically and have a whole bunch that I haven't finished yet. What I've read of it so far is fun, though; the spelling and grammatical errors are a bit grating, but even the amateurish stories are enjoyable-- sort of like reading fan fiction. Actually, it's kind of appropriate, since these are homages to B-Movies.
Old August 20 2009, 11:52 PM   #402
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Here's the Wolf Man trailer. It's definitely a two-legged Wolf Man, and it looks like they decided against mucking with Baker's design, which is a relief.

There are also a bunch of new stills here.

I still wish they hadn't gone CGI with his transformation--Baker was pretty vocal about his wishes to do it with practical effects, but the trailer itself looks a lot better than I'd expected. There are a couple of flashes in there of stuff I don't understand, but I'm keeping an open mind.

It has a Hammer-like quality to it, which I like. Del Toro's got the tormented Talbot thing down. I was kind of afraid they'd go the modern werewolf route and start off with him enjoying the transformations, feeling invigorated, etc. (That wasn't based on anything I'd heard about the film, it was just in the back of my mind.)

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; August 21 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2009, 12:06 AM   #403
RJDiogenes

I was thinking Hammer, too, when looking at the stills earlier; especially this one.

The cinematography is beautiful. It's going to look great, if nothing else. It obviously bears no resemblance to the original, so I wish they had just changed the names.
Old August 23 2009, 11:28 PM   #404
RJDiogenes

Finally, Trick 'r Treat is available for pre-order.
Old August 23 2009, 11:43 PM   #405
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Thanks, I've just placed my order. I haven't been buying many DVDs lately (trying to catch up on the ones I already own ), but I can't resist that one.

Another tempting pre-order is Phantasm II, which is finally getting its DVD release on September 15th. This one has been a really long time coming. There was some legal hold-up, so we had Phantasms 1, 3 and 4, but the second one had been annoyingly absent.