RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 856
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 15 2009, 07:50 AM   #31
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Romulan Warbird

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
You're missing 2 disruptors where the aft tractor emiters are
And what's the red dot where the lower "neck" meets the lower wing? There's a flat round feature there that doesn't match the other disruptors.

LCARS 24 wrote: View Post
but I chose to use the canon outline rather than what was easy to copy.
Okay, canonical but incorrect to the physical mode.

Last edited by Maurice Navidad; August 15 2009 at 08:04 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 07:55 AM   #32
EmperorTiberius
Captain

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
And what's the red dot where the lower "neck" meets the lower wing? There's a flat round feature there that doesn't match the other disruptors.
Actually, there seem to be two disruptor emitters there from what I can tell, even though the ship designer doesn't mention them. I think LCARS got it right.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 08:04 AM   #33
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Actually, there seem to be two disruptor emitters there from what I can tell, even though the ship designer doesn't mention them. I think LCARS got it right.
No, the features there do not match the other disruptors. There are circles there but they are FLAT and not domed like the disprutors. I'm looking at Andy's painting of the ship in drydock right now.
Old August 15 2009, 08:25 AM   #34
LCARS 24
Commodore

A couple of references.

From Ex Astris Scientia (matches the one in my copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia). This comes up if you click on the thumbnail on the list of Romulan ships:

Photo of graphic used on-screen:

LCARS 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 09:22 AM   #35
EmperorTiberius
Captain

No, the features there do not match the other disruptors. There are circles there but they are FLAT and not domed like the disprutors. I'm looking at Andy's painting of the ship in drydock right now.
That explains it. I'm looking at couple of warbird pictures shown on screen, and the domes are not flat, but large circles like the ones on rest of the ship. And it makes sense that there would be a pair there, if there wasn't, there would be no desruptor coverage underneath the ship looking forward.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2009, 10:59 AM   #36
LCARS 24
Commodore

About the outline, you guys are apparently referring to that dropoff in the opening aft of the vertical part of the wings. I could change it to look like that, but I don't see it on the filming model. I posted a link to plenty of photos of it taken at the Las Vegas convention shortly before it was sold at auction.

I don't have a physical model to examine, and all the side-view photos on the Web were taken at slight angles. Here's a shot of a plastic model, also slightly angled. If you ignore the dropoff created by the view of the opposite side and only look at the foreground side, what do you see?

About the red thing I show as a disruptor that might not be, I'm not sure. The same goes for what I show as an aft tractor emitter. The tractor emitter shown in one episode isn't even on the model.

And the kit model below shows disruptors in red. I don't know.

Old August 15 2009, 04:08 PM   #37
Disillusioned
Commander

Maybe those things along the spine are umbilical connection hard-points, similar to what the E-D has?
Disillusioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2009, 07:44 AM   #38
Maurice
Vice Admiral

And the kit model below shows disruptors in red. I don't know.

But that's one modelmaker's interpretation. I object to it because all the other disruptors look the similar and that feature not only doesn't match, but it doesn't look like a place where Andy would have put them, given he could just as easily mirrored the ones on the upper hull rather than stick then on the sides of a support

Anyway, I sent Andy an email and asked him to clarify what some of the features are and where things are supposed to be. When/if he gets back to me on that I'll let you know.
Old August 16 2009, 10:31 AM   #39
LCARS 24
Commodore

Thanks, DS9Sega. I'm ready to remove the disruptor pair from the neck, based on your comments. About having one where I show a tractor emitter, all the others are in pairs (except for the disruptor cannon in front). So how about leaving the tractor emitter and showing a red dot above or somewhere near that, still leaving five pairs?

Here's shot of the forward disruptor cannon in action:

And about the outline again, I've already posted links to many photos of the filming model, cited the Star Trek Encyclopedia, showed a straight-on view from Ex Astris Scientia, and demonstrated how the Fact Files could have made a small error by viewing it at a slight angle.

This is flimsy, but another example:

And hopefully, this is okay as-is:

Last edited by LCARS 24; August 16 2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old August 18 2009, 08:32 AM   #40
Maurice
Vice Admiral

And hopefully, this is okay as-is:

I'm no expert on this ship, but it looks pretty good. The furniture looks tiny for the vessel size indicated, though.
Old August 18 2009, 09:08 AM   #41
LCARS 24
Commodore

The furniture in that figure is small in relation to the door. I measured the door on the illustration from Ex Astris Scientia, and it was 22% smaller. I corrected the figure above to reflect that, making the chairs about 40% as tall as the doorway, as they should be. The ceilings are still higher than in a Starfleet runabout, though, but maybe Romulans like it that way. High ceilings are nice.

That update and the changes in disruptor locations on the Warbird we discussed can be seen here, along with a new dropdown shuttle for the Ferengi Marauder (42 Trek schematics all together). And, of course, this link will be good for any other additions or changes.

http://lcars24.com/starfleet.html

For the real-space gallery, I just added three new items:

http://lcars24.com/nasagal.html
Old August 18 2009, 08:31 PM   #42
LCARS 24
Commodore

Okay, here's the Romulan shuttle with rescaling of the interior (ceiling: 8.5'):

Old August 18 2009, 11:06 PM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Andy was nice enough to reply to my questions, but his answers raised a few additional questions which I am tossing back to him.

While I get those matters clarified, I can tell you that the two rows of details along the spine are lifeboat covers (duplicated on the shuttle because no one asked Andy what the details were for). He confirmed that the large triangular feature on the nose is indeed the nav deflector, and the indented feature above the bird logo is in fact the location of the bridge.

The main warp engine room is "in the dorsal 'hump' just aft of the twin disrupter mount, and you can see an indication of the energy conduit shielding running down to the warp engine in my calendar painting." I would postulate that the quantum singularity would therefore be generated there.
Old August 19 2009, 03:19 AM   #44
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Excuse my posting twice in a row. I didn't want to mess with editing my previous post while others might be replying to it.

Anyway, Andy Probert got back to me and here's what he said the features were intended to be.

The cyclopean eyeball above the bird logo was left off the studio model, it it's where the bridge was designed to go, as below...

Andy Probert (via email) wrote:
Shuttle bay: Look on the plastic model and see the indented area on the top of the aft end,... that is the landing bay door. [Looks small because size was reduced somewhat on model]

Impulse engine: Omitted by a tight schedule, yes, but it would have been recessed into a vertical slot starting just below that landing bay and ending symmetrically below. The reason there are few (if any) side windows at the back area of the ship is because that's where that engine & power plant would have been.

Wing spacing: The wings were to have had a LOT more substance to them (as seen in my drawing) but was reduced [on] the model. They are separated to allow the engines to 'see' each other and generate a warp field. As previously noted on the board, I did not design the subsequent ships that ignore my attempt at requirements-for-warp-drive continuity.

Main warp engine room: Is in the dorsal 'hump' just aft of the twin disrupter mount and you can see an indication of the energy conduit shielding running down to the warp engine in my calendar painting.

Life boat covers: Yes, they were duplicated on Drexler's beautiful little shuttle (warp engine rule aside), for visual continuity.

Nav Deflector: Again, it isn't a weapon, just a deflector...

Disruptors: Yes, I did mirror the two top aft weapons on the bottom.

Cargo Bays: At the leading edge of the lower 'wing'? Yes. They've always been cargo doors and my original design included large central areas to house cargo & other departments but was truncated, for some reason, when Greg built the model.

Note the built-up detail on the lower wing behind the cargo bays, as mentioned above, and the much more prominent "hunch" in which the engine room was designed to go. You can also see the bridge detail on this sketch.
Old August 19 2009, 05:04 AM   #45
Horizon
Commander

Nice. Thank you, DS9Sega, for relaying the information from Mr. Probert.