Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 13 2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Bleeding orange and green...or what?

OK...I have a question, and this seemed like the most likely section of the forum to get an answer. I'm trying to get the details right for my fanfic, but I'm not sure if this detail has ever actually been established.

The question is this: what color is Cardassian blood? Have we ever seen one bleed?

If not, what color do you think their blood is, and why?

(And DON'T say they bleed orange and green. )
Old August 13 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Bleeding orange and green...or what?

Oooh, that's hard. I can't actually remember if it was ever established. My guess would be red, though. As Cardassians can apparently breed without complex medical assistance with Bajorans, humans and Kazon, I imagine it's iron based.
Old August 13 2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

In that case, would you speculate that their skin is more opaque than, say, that of a human of North/West European descent? Do you think they're covered in tiny scales, perhaps?
Old August 13 2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
In that case, would you speculate that their skin is more opaque than, say, that of a human of North/West European descent? Do you think they're covered in tiny scales, perhaps?
Well, I apologize if this isn't what you were getting at, but if we're talking about blushing capability, I assume they have no blushing capabiliy.

I think their skin is mostly thick and leathery, tougher than ours, and indeed more opaque than that of Caucasian humans.
Old August 13 2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

That's kinda what I was getting at: to see if you thought there was a way that they could have red blood yet it not be visible through their skin.
Old August 13 2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Well, here is a rather bloody Garak:

The blood seems to be dark red but then it could be dried Klingon blood(Dukat was a bit handy with the Bat'leth).

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

For those of you who have seen that episode recently--any way to tell if that was spatter from the Klingon, or Garak's blood?
Old August 13 2009, 09:47 PM   #8
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Don't Cardassian bruises look kind of purplish?

And maybe we're supposed to ignore this since it's a makeup problem, not an in-universe thing, but Cardassians have pink gums and so on, right?
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

^ not really, the scene opens with Dukat and Garak quipping whilst fighting off the Klingons. Dukat has grabbed a Bat'leth and is using it to cut several Kingons down...actually this has me thinking that it is Klingon blood on Garak (or it could be human blood from the two Starfleet officers). I've got this episode on VHS so I should check this out.

And JustKate is right about Cardassian bruising:

Old August 13 2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

JustKate wrote: View Post
Don't Cardassian bruises look kind of purplish?
Not sure. But that raises the question, what WOULD bruises from red blood look like under grey skin? Is that the color we'd expect, or should we see something else instead?

And maybe we're supposed to ignore this since it's a makeup problem, not an in-universe thing, but Cardassians have pink gums and so on, right?
They do--even the skin that's the VERY closest to their eyes. But, I dunno whether that would be a makeup issue or canon fact. It could be either, I think.
Old August 13 2009, 10:05 PM   #11
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Hmmm...what about bloodshot eyes? Could that be considered canon, assuming we can find a shot or two, or would that be another one of those "not sure whether it's canon or makeup" situations?

Edit: The thing is that unless the shot is under fairly bright light conditions, I don't know if even bright red blood on Cardassian skin would show up as bright red. Colors are tricky. Not even human blood always looks bright red.

Last edited by JustKate; August 13 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Corrected random and sundry typos, alas
Old August 13 2009, 10:09 PM   #12
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

JustKate wrote: View Post
Hmmm...what about bloodshot eyes? Could that be considered canon, assuming we can find a shot or two, or would that be another one of those "not sure whether it's canon or makeup" situations?

Edit: The thing is that unless the shot is under fairly bright light conditions, I don't know if even bright red blood pn Cardassian skin would show up as right red. Colors are tricky. Not even human blood always looks bright red.
Hmmm, if we're taking about bloodshot eyes the only time we get to see them is when Damar is in his alcoholic phase but the lighting is always too dark to see.

I hate to say it but we might be stumped on this one...

Old August 13 2009, 10:11 PM   #13
JustKate
Rear Admiral

^ I wasn't really thinking about heavily bloodshot eyes - just the ordinary kind that might show in a close-up.

But you could be right. For one thing, that nicely atmospheric, dark lighting on the space station might be defeating us here - that could be part of the problem.
Old August 13 2009, 10:12 PM   #14
apenpaap
Commodore

Thor Damar wrote: View Post
Well, here is a rather bloody Garak:

The blood seems to be dark red but then it could be dried Klingon blood(Dukat was a bit handy with the Bat'leth).
It definatly looks more like cuts then spatters, so I'd say it's his own blood. In this pic, his blood is red too.
Old August 13 2009, 10:36 PM   #15
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

I'm going to weigh in on the red blood, thicker skin side. I agree with what was said about heme based blood being necessary for successful crossing with other races of heme based blood (setting aside virtually every other scientific detail about hybrids, but we are trying to accept things as established in Trek). Cardassian tongues are also pink, and I seem to recall the times Garak got beaten up, he had red blood. It looked dark because of the lighting, but it still looked red.