Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 11 2009, 07:26 PM   #91
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Is Netflix a Rip-off?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
It too me 4 months to get Wall-e.
Did you send them an email? They are very fast to respond.

J.
Since when? They did away with email addresses a year or two ago, they only deal with customer service via phone now.
Old August 11 2009, 07:37 PM   #92
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

And the idea that Netflix is "bad" because it means people are "lazy" is moronic. When is the last time any of us hauled water home from a well, felled a tree to burn for heat or hunted an animal for food? Or have ever done any of those things? Businesses arose to serve the wishes of people to be "lazy" and avoid doing all that shit. Netflix is just a continuation of a millenia-long trend. If people weren't lazy, there would be no such thing as movies. We'd sit around campfires and make up our own damn entertainment - now there's a local economy!

The irony is that the "evil" internet is a contrary trend - look at us, we're making up our own entertainment here rather than passively waiting to be spoonfed by Hollywood. Even as I type this, I have four Netflix disks sitting five feet away, unwatched. Why? This is more fun!

Our economy's not crap because of brick and mortar stores, our economy is crap because it was mishandled by a handful of charlatans.
Netflix is the kind of business that keeps economies from being crap. They think of innovative new ways to fill a need. Sure, they do it more efficiently and therefore with fewer employees than the businesses they replace, but the solution is therefore more creative thinking to create more Netflix type businesses.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 11:57 PM   #93
paudemge
Captain

Ethan_Hunt_IMF wrote: View Post
Many American companies and i do mean mostly American companies, have sent many of their jobs over seas because of cheaper pay rates or to avoid the uselessness of a union and then wonder why no one is buying their product.
Its simple cause and effect.
The people who buy your products tend to work for you too.
THe United States is totally being shafted by NAFTA, a toyata is dirty cheap there but a basic Ford is one of the most expensive cars in places like China and Japan.
Brick and mortar was the backbone of the american economy. But it takes 2 guys to fullfil those orders you make online as apposed to the multiple amounts of people it could help in YOUR local community.
Look, Netflix is a great concept and good idea honestly but its just a LITTLE Example, amoung many, of why your economy is crap
What is your economy? The biggest impact that internet sales has is probably on local governments that use sales tax to raise revenue. Our economy changes as the demands of the customers change.
You say Americans are lazy so they won't drive to BB to get a movie when they can just get it in the mail, well this American also sometimes likes to have things right away, so I'll go to bb to get a movie or visit a local merchant to buy something.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 03:40 AM   #94
Maestro
Vice Admiral

The funny thing about Americans is they don't realize that things like netflick or amazon or whatever is the basis for their crumbling economy.
You are ordering something that you could simply go a kilometer down the street for and then return the next day.
And why, because Americans tend to be lazy.
It your own stupidity that is causing your dollar to drop in value.
You're funny. Go check a one year currency chart.
Old August 12 2009, 03:50 AM   #95
Leroy
Fleet Captain

I've had Netflix for a couple of years now and I've been pretty satisfied with it. The only problems I've had with the service is that I'm into niche cult favorite shows that tend to go OOP so my queue will be missing portions of a multi disc show I'm watching.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 03:54 AM   #96
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
It too me 4 months to get Wall-e.
Did you send them an email? They are very fast to respond.

J.
Since when? They did away with email addresses a year or two ago, they only deal with customer service via phone now.
Since I contacted them a month ago via email to resolve a technical issue.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 07:28 AM   #97
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

The funny thing about Americans is they don't realize that things like netflick or amazon or whatever is the basis for their crumbling economy.

Amazon is only used in America? There's no Amazon Canada, or UK, or Germany, or France?

Or Japan?

Or China?

How have those countries managed to avoid the troubles you describe?

Maestro wrote: View Post
It your own stupidity that is causing your dollar to drop in value.
You're funny. Go check a one year currency chart.
Beat me to it. The greenback has been doing fine lately, and it's hardly a secret.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 04:34 PM   #98
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I've been using Netflix for about four years now and with the exception of occasionally sending me broken discs and sometimes sending me TV shows out of sequence in spite of my effort to make sure they're qued up in order I really can't say a single bad thing about them. The price is good, the selection is pretty solid and the customer service has almost always been perfect.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 03:26 PM   #99
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

5.1 surround sound via streaming next week

the PS3 will be the first consumer electronics device to get Dolby Digital Plus 5.1-channel surround sound along with streamed TV shows and movies from Netflix.
PlayStation 3 users will get an upgraded Netflix service starting Monday October 18], Netflix and Sony announced today.
Netflix's streaming service moves to PS3's XMB or XrossMediaBar menu so no disc is needed.
Oct 14, 2010
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ing-dolby-51/1

It's a start.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 04:47 PM   #100
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: 5.1 surround sound via streaming next week

GREAT news!
Old October 15 2010, 12:26 AM   #101
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: 5.1 surround sound via streaming next week

Netflix's streaming service moves to PS3's XMB or XrossMediaBar menu so no disc is needed.
I like this one the best.

Sometimes I just want to be a lazy piece of crap, and getting off my ass to put in a disc is so much harder than staying on the couch!
Old October 15 2010, 12:28 AM   #102
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Not to mention there's no good place to store the disc.
Old October 15 2010, 12:30 AM   #103
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

It just came to Canada a few weeks ago (streaming only) and i subscribed for $7.99 a month. I use it all the time so far and it's terrific value. I hope the Canadian selection of quality titles increases soon though. I hear in the US there's a lot of great selection; however, we have a lot of indie crap (and I'm not talking GOOD indie stuff either) to sift through.

Still, it has titles like all 3 seasons of Mad Men, and a lot of obscure documentaries and art house flicks that are super hard to find normally. Additionally, I've been catching up on my Red Dwarf and Highlander the TV Series
Old October 15 2010, 12:32 AM   #104
RoJoHen
Awesome

The American selection is still fairly limited, but it continues to grow. It gets better and better every month, and they continue to add more popular titles. My PS3 continues to be the best investment I've ever made, and I use Netflix all the time.
Old October 15 2010, 02:44 AM   #105
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

hamudm wrote: View Post
[...] it has titles like all 3 seasons of Mad Men [...]
Well, you've got one up on the U.S., then, if that makes your current limited selection feel any better. We don't have Mad Men on Netflix Instant down here.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote