RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,139
Posts: 5,401,855
Members: 24,748
Currently online: 461
Newest member: ChrisCrash

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 12 13.19%
Above average 38 41.76%
Average 19 20.88%
Below average 11 12.09%
Poor 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 9 2009, 09:39 AM   #106
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

This movie was a steaming pile of dog shit. It didn't capture the things I liked about 'classic Joe' at all. It was just lame one liners strung together by nonstop headache inducing CGI. The Adult Swim series from a few months back was so far superior to this that they should've just made a live action adaptation of that.
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 10:28 AM   #107
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Yoda wrote: View Post
This movie was a steaming pile of dog shit. It didn't capture the things I liked about 'classic Joe' at all. It was just lame one liners strung together by nonstop headache inducing CGI. The Adult Swim series from a few months back was so far superior to this that they should've just made a live action adaptation of that.
Are you sure you didn't see Transformers again?
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 05:40 PM   #108
Snick27
Captain
 
Snick27's Avatar
 
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" took command of the weekend box office with a $56.2 million debut domestically. Worldwide, "G.I. Joe" has marched to $100 million.


Yahoo news.


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090809/.../us_box_office
Snick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 07:14 PM   #109
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
This movie was a steaming pile of dog shit. It didn't capture the things I liked about 'classic Joe' at all. It was just lame one liners strung together by nonstop headache inducing CGI. The Adult Swim series from a few months back was so far superior to this that they should've just made a live action adaptation of that.
Are you sure you didn't see Transformers again?
I actually had the sense to skip Transformers 2. I was going to skip GI Joe as well. But I had suggested to my friend that we watch "Let the Right One In", not knowing what a terribly dubbed, and plodding borefest it was. So I figured I owed it to him to watch The Rise of Cobra.

And someone made a good point earlier. Considering how Cobra pretty much gets it's ass kicked, calling this thing The Rise of Cobra is kind of like if they had called the original Star Wars something like The Empire Strikes Back.
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 07:28 PM   #110
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion



Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 08:03 PM   #111
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Rachel's got a cracking set of pins...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 08:33 PM   #112
Daneel
Rear Admiral
 
Daneel's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Snick27 wrote: View Post
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" took command of the weekend box office with a $56.2 million debut domestically. Worldwide, "G.I. Joe" has marched to $100 million.


Yahoo news.


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090809/.../us_box_office
Yeah, looks like my initial estimate of around $65 million for the weekend was way off. It appears the film was quite front-loaded ($22,250,000 on Friday, $18,250,000 on Saturday, and $15,700,000 on Sunday), which leads me to think this movie probably won't have legs at the box office.

I still haven't seen it... and I doubt I will. Even when I was a kid in the 80s/90s, I never cared much for G.I. Joe, and the ads I've seen for this film don't really appeal to me. So I think I'll pass.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 08:40 PM   #113
Thrall
Commodore
 
Thrall's Avatar
 
Location: A Quesada Free Zone.
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Yoda wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
This movie was a steaming pile of dog shit. It didn't capture the things I liked about 'classic Joe' at all. It was just lame one liners strung together by nonstop headache inducing CGI. The Adult Swim series from a few months back was so far superior to this that they should've just made a live action adaptation of that.
Are you sure you didn't see Transformers again?
I actually had the sense to skip Transformers 2. I was going to skip GI Joe as well. But I had suggested to my friend that we watch "Let the Right One In", not knowing what a terribly dubbed, and plodding borefest it was. So I figured I owed it to him to watch The Rise of Cobra.

And someone made a good point earlier. Considering how Cobra pretty much gets it's ass kicked, calling this thing The Rise of Cobra is kind of like if they had called the original Star Wars something like The Empire Strikes Back.
Wow. You and me just don't agree on anything. I loved "Let The Right One In" although I'll grant you that it is VERY slow.

It's funny. I know people who refuse to see this movie just because they hate Tatum Channing or Channing Tatum or whatever his name is. Apparently he's the new Orlando Bloom(#1 Hollywood Pretty Boy who can't act). I've never seen him in anything other then this, and he wasn't bad. He played the typical Army Guy. It's not that hard to pull off.
__________________
"Spider-Man doesn't have fans. He has people who follow him. Like Jesus. Now I have fans! People who adore and worship every little thing I do or say. Like David Koresh. Or The Jonas Brothers."
Thrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 08:47 PM   #114
Daneel
Rear Admiral
 
Daneel's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

^^^^^
I quite enjoyed it too, but I will also admit that the pacing is a bit sluggish at times. Plus, I saw the subtitled version, so I don't know how bad the dubbing is on the version he saw.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 10:03 PM   #115
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Snick27 wrote: View Post
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" took command of the weekend box office with a $56.2 million debut domestically. Worldwide, "G.I. Joe" has marched to $100 million.


Yahoo news.


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090809/.../us_box_office
Box Office Mojo is also reporting its budget was $175million!
Now granted I can tell they spent money in places but other times in the movie the CGI was so bad that they didn't get their money's worth.
Be curious to see if Monday actuals bumps this or if its a high estimate and its actual weekend is lower.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 10:05 PM   #116
Braxton
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

I went in not expecting much but I was actually entertained and thought it was better than what I've been reading. Not once was I cringing or thinking "is it over yet?" like I was when I saw Transformers this year. That movie sucks compared to this one. It's too bad people don't have imaginations anymore and that seems to be the reason this movie is not doing as good as it should be, everyone is afraid of having an imagination. I wasn't thrilled about a lot of the changes to the Transformers but I accepted it and didn't hold that as a deciding factor in whether or not I liked those two movies. GI Joe is so much better than Bay's two TF movies in that the acting was much better and it didn't feel weird hearing the names being said. Of course, the ending kind of sucked but if they do a sequel, I pray they fix their mistake. It was a fun movie and isn't that why it was made? Isn't that WHY we go see a movie? Isn't that WHY we buy them later on? All those critics that rag on this movie need to open their minds a bit. It's FICTION! I think that's something they have forgotten.

And for those that played Mass Effect, doesn't Commander Shepherd look a lot like the actor that plays Duke? Did they model Shepherd after him or is it just a coincidence.
__________________

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 10:43 PM   #117
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Rachel's got a cracking set of pins...
Not to mention a pinning set of cracks.

How fucking smart is Rip Cord? Is he a genius or a moron? The wheels were turning so bloody slowly, Peter Griffen slowly, granted he was the only one to figure out that Doctor Who was the baddie, but how? Was he thinking it over in his head for the whole time, like trying to solve a combination lock one combination at a time in sequential order, until the script needed someone to have an epiphany?

Deus ex machina much?

And why was Cullen so concerned about incriminating himself by just making and arming his own nanites in his own factory, when ultimately he made a ripe patsy of himself by turning on that transponder code like a right nonce screaming to the world that he is evil and should surely be locked in a little box.

Considering how they treated Cobra Commander and Destro in the End, I do believe that they are completely with in their rights to be vengeful on the people that did this to them and would continue doing this to them, because that looked like they were stuck in a coffin with out trial or promise of release or any contract defining the terms or quality of their confinement, that given the alternative of life in a coffin fed through a tube for the next 6 decades or murdering 400 people for a scodge of Lebensraum, it doesn't seem unreasonable to wade through a blood bath and if positions were reversed, this isn't anything the good guys wouldn't think about doing to the bad guys.

Is the "prison" a toy available from Hasbro?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:11 PM   #118
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Considering how they treated Cobra Commander and Destro in the End, I do believe that they are completely with in their rights to be vengeful on the people that did this to them and would continue doing this to them, because that looked like they were stuck in a coffin with out trial or promise of release or any contract defining the terms or quality of their confinement, that given the alternative of life in a coffin fed through a tube for the next 6 decades or murdering 400 people for a scodge of Lebensraum, it doesn't seem unreasonable to wade through a blood bath and if positions were reversed, this isn't anything the good guys wouldn't think about doing to the bad guys.

Maybe they were in Gitmo?

I still want to know why this underground compound of elite soldiers was as about as secure as a 7-11 and staffed by about the sane caliber of people -aside from our main, characters.... er.... and inside that aside from Rip Cord.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:42 PM   #119
romulus
Fleet Captain
 
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

It was ok.

Maybe if I remembered more of the toon it would of been better. Maybe if I had re watched some episodes like I did for Transformers (those old cartoons are even cheesier than I remember) I would of enjoyed it more.

One of the few things I remember about the cartoon is Serpentor (had to google and wiki the name). At the time I remember liking the mini series where he was introduced. Not sure if that would help this franchise any but the character is no more cheesy than the green goblin or many other sci-fi/fantasy/comics bad guys. And I don't remember thinking destro or cobra commander "cool" even as a little kid....

I don't think I will watch a sequel, I did not think I would watch this one and it didn't leave me wanting for more.
romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 11:54 PM   #120
Michael Chris
Admiral
 
Location: The 'Querq, NM
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

That was by far the worst movie I've seen in theaters in recent memory. Absolutely atrocious!
__________________
To live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Michael Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
g.i. joe

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.