Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 7 2009, 04:36 PM   #31
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Re: Let's discuss all episodes of TOS

^ I love Charlie X myself. I find it very creepy and also hilarious (the lyre scene).
How many episodes can say that?

We are currently re-watching TOS in order, and last night we had the bad luck in that next up was Catspaw. Oh dear god. What were they thinking with that one???
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 05:25 PM   #32
Hambone
Fleet Captain

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post

We are currently re-watching TOS in order, and last night we had the bad luck in that next up was Catspaw. Oh dear god. What were they thinking with that one???
Yeah, they were thinking about Halloween (original airdate was 10/27/67). Not to be taken seriously. But also, just not a very good episode, except for the creepy little bug-like aliens at the end. And that big black pussy really scared me when I was a kid!
Old August 7 2009, 08:20 PM   #33
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

^ I am not touching that one with a ten foot pole!!

OMG, i had completely forgotten about those little alien thingies. And when they were on the screen, well, all i could say is its a good thing i didnt have anything in my mouth at the time. It would have been spewed all over the television! They looked like little pipe cleaner bugs. What a freaking hoot!
Old August 8 2009, 02:15 PM   #34
Orcus
Captain

I haven't seen Catspaw for over thirty years. I must dig it out soon to revisit and see what all the fuss is about: I can only remember that weird-looking woman dangling the Enterprise efigy over a flame...
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2009, 07:34 PM   #35
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

^^ You definitely need to. But don't blame me if your head explodes at the end!
Old August 9 2009, 04:51 AM   #36
Red Ranger
Admiral

Speaking of bad eps that one hasn't seen in awhile, the other night I watched The Omega Glory. Wow, worse than I remembered! Of course, the capper is Shatner's hambone recital of the Constitution, but the ep has lots of bad things sprinkled in, like how Capt. Tracey is older than Kirk but can still kick his ass easily a few times in the ep. The one good thing is I think it's the last TOS ep we see Sulu in charge of the ship. -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 09:26 AM   #37
Orcus
Captain

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
^^ You definitely need to. But don't blame me if your head explodes at the end!
...Just have done this afternoon. Yep, it's not one of the best ones but... it is essentially a bit of fluff. One that is mildly entertaining and basically inoffensive but a piece of fluff, none-the-less. I think Hambone is right in stating that it seems to have been made with the Halloween season in mind.

I certainly don't think it's anywhere as bad as some have made it out in the past - it's kinda groovy in a proto-Rocky Horror kind of way. One minor flaw for me, though, was the reveal showing Korob's and Sylvia's true forms at the end: something that wouldn't, perhaps, have been out of place in one of the Muppets Christmas movies...

Sylvia looks strangely off-putting in that Bride of Frankenstein hairdo - and, for her, it really works to bring out the alien-ness of her character. Sadly I can't say the same for Chekov's: if it wasn't his own hair I'd say the Shat had pretty tough competition for the worst rug award. It looks even worse next to Lt. de Salle and all the other regulation Starfleet haircuts...
Old August 9 2009, 07:14 PM   #38
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

I loved Shore Leave with it's fantasy like story what did you think of that episode
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 08:08 PM   #39
ScatmanRescueMe
Lieutenant Commander

Omega glory is pretty good until Shatner reads the Constitution. that turned it from a sci-fi TV to just a show produced in 1968, with all the rah-rah jingoism of a nation at war. At war with komms !!!
ScatmanRescueMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 10:40 PM   #40
Chrisisall
Commodore

startrekrcks wrote: View Post
I loved Shore Leave with it's fantasy like story what did you think of that episode
One of my faves; loved seeing Kirk beat the, err, tar out of Finnigan.
ScatmanRescueMe wrote: View Post
Omega glory is pretty good until Shatner reads the Constitution. that turned it from a sci-fi TV to just a show produced in 1968, with all the rah-rah jingoism of a nation at war. At war with komms !!!
That was a great moment, you non-patriot!

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
I watched The Omega Glory. Wow, worse than I remembered! Of course, the capper is Shatner's hambone recital of the Constitution
Those words are obviously not meant for you then, you Yangcomb.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 01:28 PM   #41
Orcus
Captain

Yeah, I must confess: I never thought much of The Omega Glory either - even back in the day. Propaganda...
Old August 10 2009, 02:53 PM   #42
Hambone
Fleet Captain

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
Of course, the capper is Shatner's hambone recital of the Constitution...
Hey!
Old August 10 2009, 02:54 PM   #43
Chrisisall
Commodore

Orcus wrote: View Post
Propaganda...
I can't believe that I, a card-carrying Conspiracy Theorist & Liberal Libertarian, have been placed in the role of defending an episode of Trek for seeming too U.S. Government-friendly.

The ep was about the TRUTH of the WORDS of E-Plebnista, not a pro-government or pro-Vietnam War statement or propaganda.
SHEESH!
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 04:35 AM   #44
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

I must confess a secret liking for Charlie X - but that's probably just nostalgia talking...
Don't feel alone. I liked that episode a lot, too, even with the lyre scene. Kirk had a lot of funny, uncomfortable moments trying to play "dad" to the creepy kid-too-old-to-be-a-kid. Yeoman Rand had some good screen time and actually some useful things to do for a change, and I even liked the end when Kirk realized that it was true, Charlie couldn't co-exist with human beings without being thrown into a destroy or be destroyed paradigm. Good early Trek stuff.
Old August 11 2009, 10:11 AM   #45
Orcus
Captain

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Propaganda...
I can't believe that I, a card-carrying Conspiracy Theorist & Liberal Libertarian, have been placed in the role of defending an episode of Trek for seeming too U.S. Government-friendly.

The ep was about the TRUTH of the WORDS of E-Plebnista, not a pro-government or pro-Vietnam War statement or propaganda.
SHEESH!
What? Did I hit a nerve...?

How about "contrived" then? "Yangs/Yankees" and "Komms/Communists" - complete with racial stereotypes? Please...