RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 426
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 4 2009, 05:12 PM   #211
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

It sure has the look of it. I heart Exeter and can't wait for the final installment.
Old August 5 2009, 05:39 PM   #212
Nomad V
Fleet Captain

Anybody remember Chilly Billy Cardill on Channel 11 - WIIC Pittsburgh?
Old August 5 2009, 07:21 PM   #213
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

View CaptainKen's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post
CaptainKen wrote: View Post
Starship Exeter, especially The Tressaurian Intersection, is the MOST TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK out there and it will be awesome to finally see the whole episode of The Tressaurian Intersection.
I'm glad you think so. That's what we're aimin' for.

I can't and wouldn't speak for Jimm or anyone else, but getting into a groove to work on this I came to think of it as a Star Trek spinoff that was produced around 1970.
Maybe when TTI is all wrapped up, you guys could screen a special TTI: A Night in 1970 edition!
Old August 6 2009, 01:33 AM   #214
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Starship Exeter, especially The Tressaurian Intersection, is the MOST TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK out there and it will be awesome to finally see the whole episode of The Tressaurian Intersection.

I can't and wouldn't speak for Jimm or anyone else, but getting into a groove to work on this I came to think of it as a Star Trek spinoff that was produced around 1970.
Maybe when TTI is all wrapped up, you guys could screen a special TTI: A Night in 1970 edition!
I don't know that we'd have to change anything.

If someone wanted to collect some of those cool old 1960s commercials off of YouTube and insert them between our act breaks I think that would be a kick. Just make sure that one of them is a Marlboro ad with that "Magnificient Seven" theme.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8250a00140

http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo-...x-2277635.html

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; August 6 2009 at 01:43 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 09:15 AM   #215
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

View CaptainKen's Twitter Profile

It seems like we could have a lot of fun with this special TTI: A Night in 1970 edition!
Old August 6 2009, 05:50 PM   #216
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Oh great ... so in addition to poking Paramount's lawyers with a stick, you're thinking of getting all those old trademark owners in on the action and pile the anti-smoking activists on top?

This will be fun.
Old August 6 2009, 11:34 PM   #217
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

I gotta second CaptainKen's remarks.

On the subject of scheduling, I think we're all getting a little spoiled by the seemingly effortless way NV/P2 seems to belt out eps.

However, NV/P2 has significant advantages in terms of being more of a "semi-pro" production. More of it's production team have significant credentials in moviemaking. It even has a special effects SCHOOL doing it's opticals.

"Starship: Exeter" is the "purer" fan production, but every bit as good in results overall.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 02:30 AM   #218
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Actually, I don't think that's entirely accurate. I think it's that Jimm wants to have it done his way and only when he's ready. It's not like a lack of potential manpower or professionalism of talent or anything.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 02:43 AM   #219
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Actually, I don't think that's entirely accurate. I think it's that Jimm wants to have it done his way and only when he's ready. It's not like a lack of potential manpower or professionalism of talent or anything.
I'm not belittling the time or effort put in by the Exeter crew. Far from it.

I'm just pointing out the tremendous advantage NV/P2 has in having so many people with real industry credentials and experience working on it. They also have a big advantage in resources, particularly in the FX department having have NEO to do their CG work.

Exeter is being done in homes and garages by people who are learning as they go, and don't have the advantage of deep pockets backers (resources, not necessarily cash) to help them along.

It makes Exeter's end result all the more impressive.
Old August 7 2009, 03:59 AM   #220
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I still think that overstates the case. "Tressaurian" was not made in people's homes and garages. The primary shoot was on a stage at a studio: Hell, there's even a crane shot. The things happening at home is the same stuff that typically happens on other fan films at homes or home offices: post production, like editing and VFX. And let's remember that this was filmed FIVE YEARS ago, and even Phase II/NV wasn't then what it is now.

I'm not sure who you mean by "They also have a big advantage in resources, particularly in the FX department having have NEO to do their CG work." It sounds like you mean Phase II, but that's confusing because NEO f/x is doing work for Exeter in addition to other fan productions, as has been discussed before.

My point remains that the main reasons for the time it's taken for this to be completed lay primarily at the feet of the producer, who made the post-production decisions he made for the reasons he made them. He wants it finished a particular way, even when there may have been other ways to complete it.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 04:59 AM   #221
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
I still think that overstates the case. "Tressaurian" was not made in people's homes and garages. The primary shoot was on a stage at a studio: Hell, there's even a crane shot. The things happening at home is the same stuff that typically happens on other fan films at homes or home offices: post production, like editing and VFX. And let's remember that this was filmed FIVE YEARS ago, and even Phase II/NV wasn't then what it is now.
Again you misunderstand. I know it literally wasn't shot in homes and garages, but it WAS shot by fan/hobbiests. NV/P2's roster of production personnel includes a large number of people in makeup, fx, etc with professional credentials, including Trek credentials.

I'm not sure who you mean by "They also have a big advantage in resources, particularly in the FX department having have NEO to do their CG work." It sounds like you mean Phase II, but that's confusing because NEO f/x is doing work for Exeter in addition to other fan productions, as has been discussed before.
That I did not know. Last I heard, Dennis had taken over after the original FX guy had to drop out and they switched over from practicals to CG.
Old August 7 2009, 02:44 PM   #222
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Actually, what happened way back when was that there was originally going to be a use of both CG and practical models in Tressaurian Intersection. In the end, the mix turned out to be almost all CG for spaceships and outer space shots and mainly models for interiors - corridors, the engine room - as well as the crashed Kongo saucer, some destroyed buildings on Corinth IV and some "space debris" from the Kongo. But we were planning to use a lot of CG from the beginning - consideration of trying to do the opening shot where the camera pushes in on the bridge as a practical model, for example, went by the wayside very early in planning.

Michael and NEO fx came on during post-production of Act Three, contributing some beautiful shots of the shuttlecraft and hangar bay. NEO is doing probably the preponderance of CG work on Act Four...I think I've done mostly various flybys of the Exeter so far.

Jimm said last week that he wants to talk to me about extending one such shot a bit, and aside from that I think my CG work on Exeter is done. I believe that's true for Michael as well.

If I've missed properly crediting NEO somewhere in that summary, I apologize in advance.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 02:50 PM   #223
NEO f/x
Lieutenant Commander

Dennis,

That is about right..In fact I sent some frames of the 'thing' to Dave yesterday to finalize the ending shots. I will then be looking at the security guard shot, which I have had sitting on my hard drive for over a year...Hopefully we can get that taken care of.

Outside of that, I am also close to being complete with my tasks...I guess at that point it is up to Jimm..
Old August 7 2009, 06:14 PM   #224
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

And the thing would be....?

(sorry, can't blame a guy for tryin')
Old August 7 2009, 06:33 PM   #225
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

Why is everything we don't understand always referred to as a "thing?"
Melonpool is offline   Reply With Quote