Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 12 13.19%
Above average 38 41.76%
Average 19 20.88%
Below average 11 12.09%
Poor 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7 2009, 01:29 PM   #61
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe/

GODDAMN that's a pretty steep fall!
and did you read some of the blurbs? The Prequel Trilogy didn't get savaged THAT bad!
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 01:44 PM   #62
Thrall
Commodore

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe/

GODDAMN that's a pretty steep fall!
and did you read some of the blurbs? The Prequel Trilogy didn't get savaged THAT bad!
Transformers 2 didn't get savaged this bad. And that was a piece of shit that was way, way worse then GI Joe. The critics are dead wrong.
Old August 7 2009, 02:11 PM   #63
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Example #236 of why I don't ever, ever give a damn what a professional critic thinks. Even if its one that in the past has seemed to line up with my opinion at times. I make up my own mind.

G.I.Joe really is a really good end of summer action movie. Before you go back to school or wrap up that vacation and head back to the office Joe gives you one last Hurrah! to end your summer on.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 03:30 PM   #64
captcalhoun
Admiral

Thrall wrote: View Post
-BRENDAN FRAISER AS MUTHAFUCKIN' FLINT!!
sorry, he's not Flint, he's Sgt. Stone.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 04:07 PM   #65
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I thought this move was pretty much what I expected it to be. OVER THE TOP in almost every facet. It was ok. I went in with SUPER LOW expectations, so I didn't walk out feeling cheated. Did this movie remind anybody else of STREET FIGHTER: THE MOVIE? With Jean-Claude Van Damme. But you know, on a way bigger scale and budget? All in all it was like watching a live action rendition of the cartoon. So I guess mission accomplished?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 05:37 PM   #66
Plomeek Broth
Captain

I really, really hope the producers and director realize how much the fans HATE the new look of Cobra Commander and go back to this original or hooded look for future films. Whoever came up with this idea should have been fired.
Plomeek Broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 07:56 PM   #67
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

It's a big, dumb summer action flick. You have an equal chance of liking it or not. I'll be curious to see how many people who throttled TF2 give Joe's mindless, juvenile, ridiculous story a pass.

Personally, I was entertained by it, but not as much as I was for TF2.
Old August 7 2009, 08:30 PM   #68
Agent Richard07
Retired

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
It doesn't look like it captures the spirit of the G.I. Joe I remember, and the Baroness looks to have been terribly miscast. It's still G.I. Joe though and I'll go see it.
That's what I said almost two weeks ago. Now here's my assessment...

I agree with those who said that the trailer and promo shots didn't do the movie justice. It turned out better than I thought. Did it capture the spirit of the G.I. Joe I remember afterall? I can't give a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer to that. What I will say is that this movie did an impressive job of re-imagining G.I. Joe as a 2009 live-action motion picture and I can't think of anything right now that was really bad or too over the top. The world of high-tech weaponry and megalomaniacal villains was set up pretty nicely, followed some good internal logic, and played out equally well. The ending however was about what you'd expect from movies like this. A lot of noise and destruction with not much else. Some characters underwent some changes but beyond that, it wasn't anything special. Overall, I'd say this movie was 'above average'.

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Of all the information released about this God-awful movie, the Baroness is the only thing they've done right.
Sienna Miller's Baroness was undoubtedly easy on the eyes and her character worked well for the story they set up, but still, I found myself wishing they had given us the cold eastern european villainess I remember. I would have preferred that to the sassy all-american girl we got. I'm also not sure how I feel about her having been under the influence of nanobots instead of having gone bad on her own. Her being good now is an interesting twist for G.I. Joe though. There's no real Baroness anymore. I wonder where they plan to go with that.

More points...

- Good intro. Not what you'd expect from a G.I. Joe movie.

- Christopher Eccleston was fantastic as James McCullen. I was also impressed with how they made him Destro. I was wondering how they'd bring a metal mask into the live-action format and make it work, and they did it to my satisfaction.

- Joseph Gordon-Levitt rubs me the wrong way in his interviews. He comes off as a little sanctimonious. He did however play a great Doctor-tuned-Cobra Commander. As The Doctor, he reminded me of Keanu Reeves. Maybe I should call him Keanu Reeves: Cobra Commander. By the way, I do wish they had gone with the hood instead of that mask thing he ended up with.

- The movie was fun and easy to follow, but I have to ask... How and why exactly did a young, skinny soldier become an evil megalomaniac bent on world conquest? I must have missed something.

Last edited by Agent Richard07; August 7 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 08:36 PM   #69
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

In the film, did they make Cobra Commander and the Baroness biological brother and sister? That's how it is in the comic adaptation.

It has also been established that Duke and the Baroness had a romantic past.
Old August 7 2009, 08:39 PM   #70
Agent Richard07
Retired

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
In the film, did they make Cobra Commander and the Baroness biological brother and sister?
Yes.
Old August 7 2009, 08:45 PM   #71
Agent Richard07
Retired

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Did this movie remind anybody else of STREET FIGHTER: THE MOVIE? With Jean-Claude Van Damme. But you know, on a way bigger scale and budget?
Now that you mention it, yes, a bit.

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
It's a big, dumb summer action flick. You have an equal chance of liking it or not. I'll be curious to see how many people who throttled TF2 give Joe's mindless, juvenile, ridiculous story a pass.

Personally, I was entertained by it, but not as much as I was for TF2.
I don't think that Revenge of the Fallen was the train-wreck people are making it out to be either. Like I said earlier, I think high expectations played a part in why so many people trashed TF2 while low expectations helped G.I. Joe.
Old August 7 2009, 08:48 PM   #72
Thrall
Commodore

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Thrall wrote: View Post
-BRENDAN FRAISER AS MUTHAFUCKIN' FLINT!!
sorry, he's not Flint, he's Sgt. Stone.
Seriously? He looked just like Flint. He even had a beret. A BERET!

- The movie was fun and easy to follow, but I have to ask... How and why exactly did a young, skinny soldier become an evil megalomaniac bent on world conquest? I must have missed something.
They showed that. He was a techy geek who went over to the dark side because he was so enthralled with what Mindbender and Destro were doing.

Sienna Miller's Baroness was undoubtedly easy on the eyes and her character worked well for the story they set up, but still, I found myself wishing they had given us the cold eastern european villainess I remember. I would have preferred that to the sassy all-american girl we got. I'm also not sure how I feel about her having been under the influence of nanobots instead of having gone bad on her own. Her being good now is an interesting twist for G.I. Joe though. There's no real Baroness anymore. I wonder where they plan to go with that.
She'll be back. I guarantee it. The mind-control will either win out or she'll struggle with it like Bruce Banner or something like that.

I found their take on her interesting. She's kind of become quite the sex symbol nowadays. A hot, geeky, dominatrix speaks quite well to certain male demographics. Which is probably why they made her into the bad girl who's really a good girl underneath and just needs a hug to make her see the light. Which is quite the opposite of her cartoon counter part. Who was shrill, annoying, mustache-twirling and quite frankly not that sexy.
Old August 7 2009, 08:59 PM   #73
captcalhoun
Admiral

um, dude, a beret doesn't make him Flint. Falcon, Dial-Tone and (some times) Stalker all wore berets and Dusty had one on his second figure. and Hawk wears one in the movie.

someone calls him Sgt. Stone and he says 'Yo!' in reply.

now, if'n he'd had a beret and shotgun shells on his chest, i'd've agreed, he'd look like Flint.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 09:05 PM   #74
thumbtack
Commodore

Pretty bad, actually. Not Transformers 2 bad, but bad. And why is the villain being played by a 13 year old boy?
Old August 7 2009, 10:12 PM   #75
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

I'll be seeing this tonight.

So, in honor of that, I'm posting Brandon Bird's Yo, Guernica.^