Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Kiele Sanchez
Thumbs Up 45 51.14%
Thumbs Down 17 19.32%
Thumbs Sideways 26 29.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 4 2009, 12:47 PM   #61
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Re: Kiele Sanchez: Genre babe of the week #32 (Aug. 2009)

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
I take it you've not heard what happens in seasons 2, 3, 4 and 5 then.
I know the basics and it doesn't instil me with confidence unfortunately.

I found the entire concept ridiculous, hence the reason I didn't continue to watch the rest of the pilot.

Anyways, let's leave this discussion and get back to the matter at hand. I gave her a thumbs down because she really isn't that good looking to me. Her face is plain and she just looks mashed up in most of those pics.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 04:57 PM   #62
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

^ I know you wanted to drop the topic but I can't help it. I have to ask you these questions because so far you've been criticizing Lost using vague generalities which is understandable considering you've only seen 10 minutes of it. But what exactly did you predict would happen at the end of the first season? Also what concept do you actually think Lost is about in the later seasons?

Oh yeah Kiele is definitely easy on the eyes. I gave her the usual thumbs up.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 06:10 PM   #63
Aragorn
Admiral

You have to remember, he is smarter than us, so we're just too stupid to understand the deep complexities of his words.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 11:27 PM   #64
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
^ I know you wanted to drop the topic but I can't help it. I have to ask you these questions because so far you've been criticizing Lost using vague generalities which is understandable considering you've only seen 10 minutes of it. But what exactly did you predict would happen at the end of the first season? Also what concept do you actually think Lost is about in the later seasons?
I said that there would be weird creatures on the island, mysterious inhabitants, and some mechanism which brought the plane down and would bring others down if it wasn't kept in check. That's all I remember off the top of my head. As for the rest of the seasons, I know there was some government research (not clichéd? Please) and escalating confrontations between the crash survivors and the island's inhabitants (again, all island shows have this plot. It's boring) and I heard about some wacky time travel stuff, but that's all I know. A couple of friends who watch the show have told me that it's been getting more and more ridiculous but they've invested enough time in it to keep watching until the end, whenever that might be.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
You have to remember, he is smarter than us, so we're just too stupid to understand the deep complexities of his words.
Sheesh. When I went to university I did a media module about the continuous use of the same old plots, tired clichés, and unimaginative screenwriters who dress up their work to make it appear superficially different to what has come before. I didn't notice it before and I do now. Am I smarter or is it just the fact that I find what I look for?

Old August 4 2009, 11:48 PM   #65
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Your impressions are close, but not entirely accurate. And there's a lot more to it than that, as well; also stuff we still don't understand. While you can pick out details here and there and characterize them in a manner that sounds cliched, it doesn't give a true picture of the complexities and original details of the scenario and the plot. Plus, a large part of the enjoyment of the show is the digressions (flashbacks) into the personal lives and histories of the characters. The characters are intricate and interesting (and most of the actors portraying them are very good) and the story arc and story universe are fascinating. This is a show I would recommend above any other currently on the air.
Old August 5 2009, 02:55 PM   #66
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

As I have said, if we all liked the same things, we'd be living on Stepford III, not Earth.

Old August 5 2009, 04:24 PM   #67
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Pretty much anything can be made to sound cliched if you break it down into its basic plot elements since the building blocks of drama are well-established at this point, and some would say they've been established pretty much since the dawn of storytelling. Plots tend to follow certain patterns not out of laziness (or at least not always out of laziness) but because those are the patterns of drama that work and that audiences, by and large, find satisfactory and compelling. Enjoyment is to be had from the skill of how known elements of storytelling are combined and all of the little details that are put into a story. If you're looking for originality in some kind of pure sense you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Personally I find Fringe to be a couple of steps below Lost and Alias in terms of being compelling drama (although I enjoy Fringe well enough), and I find Lost to be easily the most compelling and inventive of the three. But to each his own.
Old August 5 2009, 04:48 PM   #68
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

I find it particularly ironic that we're having this discussion in a GBotW thread celebrating an actress who played arguably one of the least popular characters on the show. (On the other hand, maybe Paulo was even less popular... )

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Zulu Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 10:52 PM   #69
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

It'd take Nikki and Paulo over Kate anyday of the week.
Old August 5 2009, 11:24 PM   #70
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
It'd take Nikki and Paulo over Kate anyday of the week.
I wouldn't.

That's not to say, though, that I disliked Nikki. I'm in the minority on the Nikki/Paulo storyline: I thought it was a nice diversion from the main plot and I liked the macabre ending.

My vote for most annoying character on Lost goes to Michelle Rodriguez as Ana-Lucia.
Old August 5 2009, 11:37 PM   #71
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ I loved how they ended up. That episode was like an EC comic.

BrotherBenny wrote: View Post
As I have said, if we all liked the same things, we'd be living on Stepford III, not Earth.
Just giving you more information.
Old August 6 2009, 07:00 AM   #72
Aragorn
Admiral

Hint for the next GBOW (don't answer directly):

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 07:43 AM   #73
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Wow, that's a toughie.

I had a hunch it would be her -- she seems the appropriate choice. I think I may vote thumbs up, but I'm not entirely sure yet... Guess I'll decide when I see the thread tomorrow.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 08:58 AM   #74
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

I think she looks stunning as a brunette if it is who I think it is, but I still prefer her as a blonde, more sultry IMO. She'd definitely get a thumbs up from me. Though she was born on your side of the pond, she grew up over here.

Old August 6 2009, 10:08 AM   #75
captcalhoun
Admiral

i thought Rachel Nichols had been done
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote