USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 1 2009, 04:21 PM   #151
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Re: WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

Folks, sorry for the delay in getting back to this project. I got slammed with a last-minute heavy-duty project at work (the key guy had his wife go into labor and I had to cover for him at the last minute), then I had to deal with a funeral, a wedding, and a 100th birthday party (Is it a good sign for me that the centenarian is in better health than I am??). I am back, and I promise once I dig through the backlog of housework and honeydo lists, I'll get back to working on this project. Sorry for the delay, and just to reassure folks, I haven't abandoned it.
Old August 1 2009, 09:32 PM   #152
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

CTM wrote: View Post
Folks, sorry for the delay in getting back to this project. I got slammed with a last-minute heavy-duty project at work (the key guy had his wife go into labor and I had to cover for him at the last minute), then I had to deal with a funeral, a wedding, and a 100th birthday party (Is it a good sign for me that the centenarian is in better health than I am??). I am back, and I promise once I dig through the backlog of housework and honeydo lists, I'll get back to working on this project. Sorry for the delay, and just to reassure folks, I haven't abandoned it.
Hey, they say that stress is the main factor in health... so as long as you survive to retirement without doing serious damage to yourself, you can "destress" for the next few decades. Makes PERFECT sense to me.

I know that I had more grey hair when I was younger than I have now... because I've removed several sources of stress from my life!
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2009, 11:57 PM   #153
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Hey, they say that stress is the main factor in health... so as long as you survive to retirement without doing serious damage to yourself, you can "destress" for the next few decades. Makes PERFECT sense to me.

I know that I had more grey hair when I was younger than I have now... because I've removed several sources of stress from my life!
Yeah... getting shown up by a 100-year-old-man was a bit of a wake-up-call. If I want to still be around in the many decades it will take me to reach that same mark, I need to lose some weight and get some more exercise, and relax more. The catch is finding the right amount of stress - too little and you fade into oblivion, too much and you keel over too young. While I have great fun and relaxation doing the modeling, it does require some energy - energy I don't really have after the last few weekends. This is a vegetation weekend. I have another CAD project that I need to complete for a club before I can get back to this one (nowhere near as in depth as this project). I just don't want folks thinking I've abandoned this project out of frustration etc. I haven't. I'll probably be getting back to it in a few more weeks.
Old August 3 2009, 09:58 PM   #154
Saquist
Commodore

Never doubted it for a second.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 01:01 AM   #155
BK613
Captain

This discussion on the fitting of Engineering into the refit hull inspired me to look at the question myself. After looking at various blueprint versions of the refit, and tracing the centerline of the struts through the centerline of the secondary hull, like this (image from memory alpha):

I have come to the conclusion that Engineering should ROUGHLY fit like so (original by Andy Probert):

This assumes two caveats:
1) That the nacelle "power conduits" run straight from the main conduit without any curves or angles through the struts to the engines.
2) That the blueprints are accurate. (FWIW, I own the TMP blueprints and Scotty's Guide and a physical check of those are consistent with what I found by examining other folks' work found online. See below.)

Anyway, I thought that this info might help with your ceiling problem...

(I looked at Shaw's Phase II stuff , Richard Taylor's pre-greebled refit (d/l'ed from Forgotten Trek), model photos, online blueprints like this and printed works.)

Last edited by BK613; August 4 2009 at 03:01 AM.
BK613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 03:35 PM   #156
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

BK613 wrote: View Post
This discussion on the fitting of Engineering into the refit hull inspired me to look at the question myself. After looking at various blueprint versions of the refit, and tracing the centerline of the struts through the centerline of the secondary hull, like this (image from memory alpha):

I have come to the conclusion that Engineering should ROUGHLY fit like so (original by Andy Probert):

1) That the nacelle "power conduits" run straight from the main conduit without any curves or angles through the struts to the engines.
2) That the blueprints are accurate. (FWIW, I own the TMP blueprints and Scotty's Guide and a physical check of those are consistent with what I found by examining other folks' work found online. See below.)

(I looked at Shaw's Phase II stuff , Richard Taylor's pre-greebled refit (d/l'ed from Forgotten Trek), model photos, online blueprints like this and printed works.)
Yeah, I was kinda expecting I would have to adjust the location of the Engineering Deck.
Old August 5 2009, 12:16 AM   #157
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

BK613 wrote: View Post

Yeah, I was kinda expecting I would have to adjust the location of the Engineering Deck.
It's not surprising... but thanks for doing that before anyone else got around to it, BK613! I wonder if Andrew is watching this thread... if so, Andrew... what is your "semi-official" (aka, the designer, not the studio) take on this?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 06:47 PM   #158
Saquist
Commodore

Who's to say the EPS conduit goes straight in.
(I know it's an assumption but) Rather than redsign half the Secondary Hull why not just alter the feed.
Old August 5 2009, 07:26 PM   #159
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Saquist wrote: View Post
(I know it's an assumption but) Rather than redsign half the Secondary Hull why not just alter the feed.
If you look closely at how the hull intersects the "Main Engineering" space where the Vertical Intermix connects to the Horizontal... there is nowhere near enough space for a reasonable ceiling. If I lower the deck a meter or so, it will fit AND line up.
Old August 6 2009, 04:21 PM   #160
wjaspers
Lieutenant Commander

Try this,
http://fesarius.hp.infoseek.co.jp/1701refit.shtml

Scroll down, there is a wireframe where you can see how engineering fits.

Also for references try this link:
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198
wjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 07:36 PM   #161
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

wjaspers wrote: View Post
Try this,
http://fesarius.hp.infoseek.co.jp/1701refit.shtml

Scroll down, there is a wireframe where you can see how engineering fits.

Also for references try this link:
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198

Oh, I agree that I can make it fit. Just the current state of my model, I have to lower it a meter or so and it will fit fine - and probably line up sufficiently with the nacelle pylons. Of course, the corridor leading forward cannot fit under virtually any circumstances; I made the choice to disregard it, and move on.
Old August 6 2009, 07:43 PM   #162
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Agreed. I don't know what they were thinking when they put that long corridor in front of Engineering. IIRC, I think they actually got rid of it by the time TWOK came around (or at least kept that door closed). Someone caught it a bit too late.
Old August 7 2009, 02:07 PM   #163
Saquist
Commodore

Saquist wrote: View Post
If you look closely at how the hull intersects the "Main Engineering" space where the Vertical Intermix connects to the Horizontal... there is nowhere near enough space for a reasonable ceiling. If I lower the deck a meter or so, it will fit AND line up.
Ah...so not a huge change.
Old August 9 2009, 01:48 AM   #164
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Ok... couldn't resist making some progress on H-deck while working on some other things as well.

I have installed the air-locks, but have not yet installed the phaser-banks, though the rooms are there. You can see in green the outline of the details of the deck in 2-d, upon which I am basing the model.
Old August 10 2009, 05:41 PM   #165
Saquist
Commodore

This is fantastic.
It's the Deck where Spock leaves the ship in Motion Picture.
Many thought these were landing pads.

Intresting note. The Galaxy has the same sort of portals for the saucer cargo bays, which shell open to reveal the actual preasure doors behind what we commonly see on the set.

Is this all solid model or is there a combination here?