MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 16 2009, 01:15 AM   #196
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Sadly, no chance that it will be this month. Probably not next month either, but I can't say that with certainty. We are massively closer than we were, though, before David and Scott and Michael and others put on the full-court press to get the effects finished a few months ago.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 07:52 AM   #197
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

View CaptainKen's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post
Sadly, no chance that it will be this month. Probably not next month either, but I can't say that with certainty. We are massively closer than we were, though, before David and Scott and Michael and others put on the full-court press to get the effects finished a few months ago.

Whoa... glad you advised on this, Dennis. I was really starting to think that it was coming VERY soon. Sounds like you're guessing Sep/Oct?

It's going to be hard to believe when it happens!

Thanks...
Old July 18 2009, 08:45 PM   #198
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
[A]nd there's no one as valuable as the person who's willing to do whatever needs to be done.
I'm that kind of person.

...Are you paying?
Heh. That's the story of my life, and success, as well. I should pay more attention to this stuff.
Old July 18 2009, 09:34 PM   #199
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Thank you for the update. I have to say Starship: Exeter is a pleasure to watch, as much as I wish I could watch MORE of it.

I've included it in my review blog, http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/. HF is the only group that has more than one Blog number... and HF has NINE, three of which are just empty and waiting for other series. But I haven't really started reviewing HF because it's sheer volume is intimidating, and I think it's relatively easy to locate. I've watched the first four years of HF, though.

I am hoping to help the less determined Trek fan find fan films without reading 100 BB entries, or hunting through 16 games, 12 audio sites, and 6 film websites with no real films on them.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 11:54 PM   #200
NEO f/x
Lieutenant Commander

Barbreader wrote: View Post
Thank you for the update. I have to say Starship: Exeter is a pleasure to watch, as much as I wish I could watch MORE of it.

I've included it in my review blog, http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/. HF is the only group that has more than one Blog number... and HF has NINE, three of which are just empty and waiting for other series. But I haven't really started reviewing HF because it's sheer volume is intimidating, and I think it's relatively easy to locate. I've watched the first four years of HF, though.

I am hoping to help the less determined Trek fan find fan films without reading 100 BB entries, or hunting through 16 games, 12 audio sites, and 6 film websites with no real films on them.
Nice review site...I hope that the Farragut animated episodes get reviewed on your site. Act 1 goes live Monday, and the full episode will be done by next month.
Old August 4 2009, 12:37 AM   #201
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

There are a few folks here who might enjoy this. I'm on the road presently with my wife and three year old. We were two hours into our trip and another three away from our destination when I turned to my boy and quietly told him to ask, "Are we there yet?" When she heard him repeat the question, she glared at me and said, "Oh no, you did not teach him that!" She didn't think it was funny at all.

Nor did I by the tenth time he asked. Children, it seems, have an instinctive understanding of how to misuse that question.

Anyway, it's been a few weeks. Are we there yet, Dennis?
Old August 4 2009, 05:17 AM   #202
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

NEO f/x wrote: View Post
Barbreader wrote: View Post

Nice review site...I hope that the Farragut animated episodes get reviewed on your site. Act 1 goes live Monday, and the full episode will be done by next month.
I'm sure I'll review it eventually. Certainly not before the entire first film is released. I love the Starship Farragut episodes which have already been released, though. I picked their first episode as a "Quick Pick Treasure" which are films I recommend you show to friends who like Trek but haven't yet discovered the world of fan films.

To say I've been surprised at the sheer volume of fan films would be a huge understatement. I think I've found as many sources of fan films in German alone as I thought there were total when I started the website.

The Definative BBS, and this board generally, has been a great source, although I've found many films that aren't mentioned here. The Definitive BBS is wrong about Star Trek:Unity UK. They list it as not available. The film series is on You Tube, and I have links to it at least through Episode 18, which is as far as I've watched. There is no useful index to the series except the one I'm creating. Mine permits you to call up the next episode as you watch. The early episodes automatically call up the next show, but the later ones don't. I'm giving priority to reviewing films series like Star Trek:Unity (UK) which are not easy to find, over series which are better organized and easier to find and better known like Starship Farragut.

I have found Star Trek:Unity(UK) to be, by far, the most entertaining of the teen created series. Unfortunately, the video and audio quality of the early episodes is poor, and I could not make out large portions of the dialogue. I deducted a lot of points for this, and also for having a lot of non-Trek stuff. While Luke Sutton argues (by e-mail, I don't know him and just wrote to him to get a few facts about his series to include in my write-up) that there was a Stargate-like device found in an alien civilization on Trek, (True!) the Federation was not able to adopt it, and what he uses is clearly film and games from the TV series, Stargate. He also uses a lot of Star Wars stuff. Even Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure gets a hello without attribution. I have never watched Dr. Who, but I suspect the source of many other things on the show. However, at the ripe old age of 18, this kid is a master of plot and editing, placing him head and shoulders above the other teen productions I've seen so far. But there is just so much you can do when your filming budget is essentially zero.

When I watch this show it pulls me back to bedtime stories when I was a small child, even though I'm easily old enough to be Luke Sutton's mother. I feel like I am saying to him, "PLEASE, Luke, tell me a STORY!!" and he does. I feel very indulged. But the technical weakness and the mix of non-Trek elements means it doesn't rate highly using my rating system, which gives and takes specific amounts based on set criteria.

Last edited by Barbreader; August 4 2009 at 05:21 AM. Reason: I found run-on sentances that were unclear.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 07:18 AM   #203
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Isn't the topic here EXETER?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 07:34 AM   #204
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Isn't the topic here EXETER?
Indeed it is! I'm guessing Sept or Oct will be when we finally see the grand conclusion of The Tressaurian Intersection.

Of course, I'm a nobody, just an outsider, but after all the posts I've read and people I've contacted about Exeter, the impression I get is that we might just see it in Sept maybe Oct.

If anyone has better info and a better guess, please speak up!
Old August 4 2009, 02:55 PM   #205
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Could be. I'm not predicting these things any more.

I spoke to Jimm Johnson last Thursday. Work is ongoing, and he told me something about a practical effect that he's working to integrate with the CG that sounded quite cool. You have to remember that Exeter basically started with Jimm's interest in duplicating "old-fashioned" movie tricks like half-silvered mirrors for laser effects and swirly-stuff-in-a-blender for transporter beams.
Old August 4 2009, 03:09 PM   #206
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

I spoke to Jimm Johnson last Thursday. Work is ongoing, and he told me something about a practical effect that he's working to integrate with the CG that sounded quite cool. You have to remember that Exeter basically started with Jimm's interest in duplicating "old-fashioned" movie tricks like half-silvered mirrors for laser effects and swirly-stuff-in-a-blender for transporter beams.
Did you tell Jimm about the "alka-seltzer trick"?
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 04:13 PM   #207
MorrisMindProbe
Ensign

Spam

Last edited by Mallory; August 4 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: More spam.
MorrisMindProbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 04:56 PM   #208
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post

Did you tell Jimm about the "alka-seltzer trick"?
Didn't think to mention it to him - he probably has read about it. In any event all the transporter work is done - this new gimmick of his is for an odd spatial effect that the ship encounters. And further this deponent sayeth not.
Old August 4 2009, 05:02 PM   #209
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, Dennis. I'm very happy to see your reply. As I've said before, YOU are basically THE reason that I continue to have HOPE for Exeter. Without communication, it's next to impossible to maintain hope. Just knowing that you talked with Jimm last Thu and that he's working on it is GREAT NEWS. Was that the LAST effect he's working on?

I guess when you talk with Jimm, there's no point in asking the "When" question, hey? It sure would be nice if the Exeter website could say "Act IV Coming Soon" -- just so fans could note the change and know that something is still happening. BUT then again, that little change would probably delay the fx-work so don't mention it!

It seemed to me that Jimm is committed to finishing it THIS year. And some reports you've made make it sound like it's pretty darn close now. But I figured, hey it's summer and time for fun. So maybe after some more work sessions in Aug and esp Sept, the final production will be ready for Sept or Oct. I'm only guessing, and I don't even have half the info/insight that you have, but, well, Idk, I just really wanna see it! If you possible could pass this on to Jimm, or email it to him, or something, I'd like him to read this whole post, or at least the following sentence:

Starship Exeter, especially The Tressaurian Intersection, is the MOST TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK out there and it will be awesome to finally see the whole episode of The Tressaurian Intersection.

I am just totally gripped by the TTI episode, teetering on the edge of my chair, waiting for more. That episode really gelled. The character dynamics were perfect! I know there's been criticism in some of the forums about things like Captain Garrovick's interaction with Ensign Richards, but I think they're wrong... if they go back to TOS they would see how TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK this actually was. The character dynamics and tensions, the plot development, the effects were all SPOT ON to TOS!

I wish there was a way that Jimm could find to make this happen more quickly -- more help -- more money -- more whatever it takes.... because I'll be sad if Exeter ends. After 12 years of effort, it would be great if he/they could find some way to produce another episode on a one-year timetable. If fans knew that was a goal, I bet many of us could rally around Jimm and help to make it happen. I can't be the only fan out there who sees that Exeter is the MOST TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK out there, can I?
Old August 4 2009, 05:07 PM   #210
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CaptainKen wrote: View Post
Starship Exeter, especially The Tressaurian Intersection, is the MOST TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL TREK out there and it will be awesome to finally see the whole episode of The Tressaurian Intersection.
I'm glad you think so. That's what we're aimin' for.

I can't and wouldn't speak for Jimm or anyone else, but getting into a groove to work on this I came to think of it as a Star Trek spinoff that was produced around 1970.