IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 29 2009, 10:34 PM   #46
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Professor Moriarty wrote: View Post
Act I is now online... you can follow my signature line link below to download it.

Here's a fun little "family portrait" I whipped up for this thread showing the relative sizes of the Enterprise, Constellation and the "guest star".

Depending on how you feel about spoilers and being surprised, you might want to hold off on embiggening this thumbnail until you've seen the clip.
Good stuff. Are the FX companies beating down your door yet?
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 06:01 AM   #47
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

WOW! Just WOW!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 11:38 AM   #48
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

So, I finally got to see this damn clip (computer problems -- hope my new 14z shows up soon.)

And I have to echo Frontline's "wow". Very nicely done. I've commented previously on the asteroids and the shot when Kirk crosses in front of the E's viewscreen (fantastic). But, the rest of your new SFX were really amazing, as well.

My absolute favorite new sequence is the one when we come back from the credits/theme song sequence (would you call it the "title shot"?) The shot of the Constellation is awe inspiring, and when the primary hull of the Enterprise slides into the shot it's just breathtaking. I have to confess I wanted to try to make some wallpaper of that, but the damn credits keep getting in the way.

I also really like that last SFX sequence: the aft view through the Enterprise's nacelles. I really appreciated how you retained the way the DM makes that turn and heads for the E.

Very nicely done.

Please, sir, can I have some mo'?

p.s. -- I do recall that you were using a "Cage" era version of the model for the Constellation, just wasn't sure if you'd tweaked it in terms of relative size or anything. Then again, when I watched the clip I picked up on a little line of Decker's that I'd never noticed before: when he mentions losing 400 crew on the 3rd planet. I guess the C really is a full Connie. As a side note, I also noted that Decker describes the DM as being Miles (plural) long; something I'd never really paid attention to before, that I recall. but, somehow, I have a feeling you did.
Old July 31 2009, 03:30 PM   #49
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

I'm not at home right now but IIRC I've scaled the planet killer to be eight kilometers (almost five miles) in length, with a maw (a maw? does it have a paw?*) which can swallow a dozen starships.

I should correct the record though and fess up that I was using some inaccurate shorthand earlier--the Constellation is a hybrid "Where No Man Has Gone Before"/series production-era starship, not a "Cage" starship (never liked those ugly flat nacelle endcaps on the "Cage" model). The hybrid designation comes from my artistic choice to substitute the shorter production-era bridge dome for the (to my eye) misshapen supertall bridge dome from "WNMHGB". Nearly all of the other details from "WNMHGB" are there though:
  • the upper saucer markings
  • the big deflector dish
  • the eight-nozzled impulse engine cluster
  • the spiked warp nacelle domes
  • the "tailpipe" nacelle endcaps
While most of my computer fleet is chugging away on the opening scene of Act II, I'll see what I can do about churning out some orthos of the Constellation in her damaged state. I also have an undamaged version of the model, but it doesn't have the updated textures so beauty shots of that version will have to wait.
____
* - Bill Shatner must take the credit for this awful pun, which he uttered during the filming of "TDM" 42 years ago.
Old July 31 2009, 03:38 PM   #50
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Very nice work, Prof!!!

I give it two thumbs up.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2009, 08:04 PM   #51
doctorwho 03
Captain

Finally got act 1 downloaded. I had to go to my dad's radio club because they have a faster internet connection.

All I can say is, :b olian::bol ian::bolia n:. I especially liked the aft view shot of the nacelles. That was one of my favorite fx shots on the remastered version, and I'm glad you used it here. I hope to see more in future clips.

Can't wait for the orthos of the Constellation. I always wanted to make a Constellation model out of the Polar Lights Enterprise, and yours would make a nice model.

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
doctorwho 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2009, 02:04 AM   #52
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Hi Prof...

I finally got around to watching this whole thing... I notice that virtually all the scenes you'd previously done are redone again. Damn, sucks to be a perfectionist, huh?

I did like your earlier viewscreen walk-by better than the new one. I'm not sure why, exactly... just a gut reaction.

I think your shots of the Enterprise are terrific. I've said it before... I think your Enterprise is probably the best-looking fan-made exterior out there. My only "quibble" about it would be that your upper and lower sensor domes look almost greenish on my screen. Is that by intent? Are my eyes deceiving me? Is my computer nauseous?

I miss the somewhat more "rugged" asteroids you'd had before, but I do like the fact that they're not quite as "glowy." I'd expect an asteroid field to become filled with rounded objects like we see there over time (bumping into other objects, becoming rounded by abrasion over thousands of years). This looked like a real asteroid field might... but not necessarily what I expect from a brand-spankin' new debris field. (Then again, I've never actually SEEN a planet-killer-path-of-destruction, sooooo...)

Those are really little teeny quibbles... constructive criticism, but not really anything "wrong" per-se.

I did find myself suddenly thinking "fake" at one point... as the Doomsday Machine came into frame. It didn't seem like it was moving along a natural path... it almost felt like a "camera-zoom composite" and didn't give me the sense of a real, massive object moving through space.

Don't get me wrong... I love your work here, and my socks are appropriately knocked-off. Just providing what I'd hope would be some appreciated "constructive criticism."
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2009, 04:54 PM   #53
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
My only "quibble" about it would be that your upper and lower sensor domes look almost greenish on my screen. Is that by intent? Are my eyes deceiving me? Is my computer nauseous?
Turn off hardware acceleration in Windows Media Player if the video has a greenish cast. It's an old and well-known problem with some graphics cards and WMV files. I'm still trying to sort out why Vimeo is screwing up the sound synchronization on the video I posted last week... hopefully this will be corrected shortly and there won't be a need to download a 300 meg file.

I appreciate the feedback, and always welcome constructive criticism. The motion of the planet killer in the "reveal" was a deliberate homage to the original effect--the PK is in fact sliding sideways towards the camera in that first shot. It's purely an artistic choice for that one shot--you'll see nothing but verite from here on out.
Old August 4 2009, 02:35 PM   #54
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

More eye candy...

Old August 4 2009, 02:48 PM   #55
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

Old August 4 2009, 03:09 PM   #56
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Professor Moriarty wrote: View Post
Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
My only "quibble" about it would be that your upper and lower sensor domes look almost greenish on my screen. Is that by intent? Are my eyes deceiving me? Is my computer nauseous?
Turn off hardware acceleration in Windows Media Player if the video has a greenish cast. It's an old and well-known problem with some graphics cards and WMV files. I'm still trying to sort out why Vimeo is screwing up the sound synchronization on the video I posted last week... hopefully this will be corrected shortly and there won't be a need to download a 300 meg file.

I appreciate the feedback, and always welcome constructive criticism. The motion of the planet killer in the "reveal" was a deliberate homage to the original effect--the PK is in fact sliding sideways towards the camera in that first shot. It's purely an artistic choice for that one shot--you'll see nothing but verite from here on out.
Better yet, get Media Player Classic and the Combined Community Codec Pack instead. MPC is included in the CCCP download by default, and by using the codecs in the CCCP, I've never had a file I haven't been able to watch, and I've had no problems with anything, as well as having greater control over the player itself.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 05:23 PM   #57
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Excelent work Prof.
Old August 6 2009, 12:45 AM   #58
Wingsley
Commodore

I think it's wonderful that someone did this independently of the studio. For years, I've thought "The Doomsday Machine" had a timeless quality to its story. It plays for me (and I suspect, other viewers) as well today as the first time I watched it. It never ceases to thrll me how many people were eagerly awaiting the "remastered" version of "Doomsday", and how memorable people find that ep. I've only seen Trekmovie's "VFX Reel" excerpts of the TOS-R version, but Scott's look superior thus far.

I love the sense of depth in the debris fields, and the drifting Constellation. The revamped Planet Killer is a neat design, too. Still, if it were up to me (it certainly is not) I would've made the sucker several times larger. Maybe even 100 km long, since, after all, this thing is supposed to devour planets.
Old August 6 2009, 03:33 AM   #59
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

It takes bite-sized pieces.
Old August 6 2009, 04:41 AM   #60
Vance
Vice Admiral

Wingsley wrote: View Post
Still, if it were up to me (it certainly is not) I would've made the sucker several times larger. Maybe even 100 km long, since, after all, this thing is supposed to devour planets.
No, it DESTROYS planets, then eats enough rubble to replenish itself (leaving lots of rubble and debris behind). It's not Unicron, after all.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote