Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 25 2009, 10:31 PM   #166
JB2005
Commodore

Re: The Typhon Pact

^ And in the mean-time while the Dominion are laying Seige to the entire Federation?
Old July 26 2009, 12:07 AM   #167
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

More subtle and covert attempts (such as helping Cardassian dissidents against the Dominion) can be successful in ending conflict and bringing all sides to the negotiating table.
Of course.

But the war must be for the purpose of defense. Once an aggressor attacks, a nation must be willing to do (as the Constitution says) all that is Neccessary And Proper in order to defeat this enemy--through negotiation where possible, through military and covert action where neccessary.

And believe me...it often is neccessary.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2009, 12:12 AM   #168
rahullak
Fleet Captain

rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2009, 01:29 AM   #169
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^Thank you! And to you to, mate!

(Hey...I could get used to this "Fleet Captain" thing....)

Old July 26 2009, 03:55 AM   #170
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
(Hey...I could get used to this "Fleet Captain" thing....)
You like doing all the paperwork and other crap us Commodore's don't want to do. Or are you talking about either going insane or being horribly disfigured
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2009, 05:01 AM   #171
JD
Admiral

rahullak wrote: View Post
^
Question is: Should that fight be limited to ship-to-ship combat? And should it only be defensive? During the Dominion War it was necessary to go on the offensive to end it quickly. Should direct battle be the only means of ensuring a quick end to war? More subtle and covert attempts (such as helping Cardassian dissidents against the Dominion) can be successful in ending conflict and bringing all sides to the negotiating table.
I think the answer to most of those question would entirely depend on the direction of the war, and the actions of the Typhon Pact.
Old July 26 2009, 05:11 AM   #172
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
^
Question is: Should that fight be limited to ship-to-ship combat? And should it only be defensive? During the Dominion War it was necessary to go on the offensive to end it quickly. Should direct battle be the only means of ensuring a quick end to war? More subtle and covert attempts (such as helping Cardassian dissidents against the Dominion) can be successful in ending conflict and bringing all sides to the negotiating table.
I think the answer to most of those question would entirely depend on the direction of the war, and the actions of the Typhon Pact.
And if any conflict with the Pact evolves beyond the Cold War stage.
Old July 26 2009, 05:21 AM   #173
rahullak
Fleet Captain

^
True. True.
Old July 26 2009, 02:46 PM   #174
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

You like doing all the paperwork and other crap us Commodore's don't want to do. Or are you talking about either going insane or being horribly disfigured
Both...and neither!

Old July 26 2009, 02:52 PM   #175
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
^

Agreed. As I've stated, I'm thinking the Pact will be trying to test the nerve of the Alliance via "torpedo drills", non-violent dogfighting (think the first scene of Top Gun), and diplomatic bullying--and perhaps, every once in a while, the starting of some border wars, a la Korea and Vietnam....

(Gee, hope I'm not taking the Cold War analogy too seriously again....)

Old July 27 2009, 03:47 AM   #176
JD
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
^
I was simply responding to rahullak, I really don't think there will be a war. My thinking is that there might be a few little fights, but probably nothing even close to an actual war.
Old July 27 2009, 05:48 PM   #177
rahullak
Fleet Captain

^
For what it's worth, I don't think there will be a war either. But its stimulating to consider other possibilities. It is fictional exploration after all.
Old July 27 2009, 05:54 PM   #178
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

^
For what it's worth, I don't think there will be a war either. But its stimulating to consider other possibilities. It is fictional exploration after all.
Personally I'm hoping for something like A Singular Destiny only on a way larger scale.
Old July 28 2009, 08:29 PM   #179
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Speaking of the Typhon Pact, and how unsure everyone is over whether it's "bad" or not....

It would be interesting if Nan Bacco would use something similar to the following as a campaign ad for a second term--with her face replacing Reagan's at the end, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npwdc...eature=related

Just sayin'....

Old July 28 2009, 08:51 PM   #180
David cgc
Vice Admiral

If Bacco was going to go the paranoid, fear-culling warmonger route, I think she has enough piss and vinegar in her to cut to the chase and just flood the Typhon powers with Genesis bombs, trilithium devices, planetbuster charges, and thus generally nuke and pave that whole half of the quadrant. If she was going to.

I really have such a lack of patience for those who have rhetoric painting a picture of an existential threat, but whose actions show they believe it to be anything but.