Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 23 2009, 07:55 PM   #2221
Frazzled
Commander

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

I really enjoyed this one, it had the right mix of suspense and predictability. And as startrekwatcher said the end was a good decision.
Old July 23 2009, 09:05 PM   #2222
Seven of Five
Commodore

Yikes I'm a bit behind now.

Well Blink of an Eye gets 4/5 as it's a nice concept that is told well. Apart from the Doc and his alternate life (and son!) down on the planet. Could have been an episode in itself really, but there you go.

Virtuoso was nice at the start, but the EMH was an overblown pompous idiot for too much in this episode. And throughout the overkill, the plot isn't much. 2/5

Memorial is brilliant. Not a classic or anything, as the show's message isn't very subtle - a hammer to the head would have been more apt. However, the use of perhaps the four worstly defined characters on the show in quite meaningul roles for a change is inspired. 4/5
Old July 23 2009, 09:33 PM   #2223
Furtados_Feet
Lieutenant

Virtuoso certainly was breaking point for me and the Doctor, he was just plain annoying and stupid after that moment and I didn't like him anymore.
The whole episode was just ludicrous, I wonder how Picardo felt about the Doctor's actions in that episode.
Furtados_Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 12:08 AM   #2224
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Tsunkatse (**)

I remember when this episode first aired there was a promo dedicated to how there was going to be an epic confrontation between Seven and The Rock. I had no idea who Mr Rock was and a friend had to explain to me that he was some sort of professional wrestler. When I saw the episode I thought to myself "Why didn't they play up that Weyoun and Martok were going to be in it rather than that stupid two minute fight scene with that dumb wrestler guy?"

J. G. Hertzler? Great, I'll watch that.

Jeffrey Combs? Excellent, I'll watch that three times!

The Rock? Do I have to watch that?

The episode is surprisingly alright in spite of all the boring wrestling bits. I think this episode follows on quite well from Memorial by giving smaller characters something to do even while the episode is focused on Seven. Chakotay, B'Elanna and Tuvok all have meaningful roles, Chakotay in particular works well as the guy in charge of the attempt to rescue Seven while Janeway is away. Chakotay's character is at his best right now than he has been since the beginning of season 4, I hope they can maintain this standard for his character.

This episode reminded me of DS9's By Inferno's Light, the scenes of Worf fighting the Jem'Hadar soldiers in the prison camp are very reminiscent to the Tsunkatse matches. Unfortunately the Worf fighting matches were the only thing I did not like about that two-parter and it was only made respectable by having the Jemmie refuse to kill Worf at the end. Since this episode is based around that concept entirely I completely lost interest in the Seven story. The Voyager-based story was good until the end when it devolved into "things get blowed up real good" mode.

Also, the episode is a rehash of The Gamesters of Triskelion, so I think this might be the first time I deduct points for stealing a plot from TOS rather than TNG. And on that subject, Memory Alpha had this to say about the episode:
As with "Blink of an Eye", this episode's title had to be changed shortly before shooting when it was realized that it matched a TOS episode's: "Arena".
Whaaaaat? I can understand the Wink of an Eye one because that wasn't a memorable episode, but Arena is one of the most famous TOS episodes, so much so that I knew it and its name long before I set out to watch TOS. How could almost the entire production staff on a Star Trek show not remember the time Kirk fought the Gorn?
Old July 24 2009, 12:41 AM   #2225
teya
Vice Admiral

GodBen wrote: View Post
Tsunkatse (**)
I'm one of the few round these parts who likes this episode. I particularly liked the conflict Seven faced. She's come a long way--to the point where she's afraid she'll lose her humanity by accepting her warrior spirit.

Great interaction between her and Tuvok, too. I wish we'd seen more of that.
Old July 24 2009, 12:44 AM   #2226
Furtados_Feet
Lieutenant

It was a good episode despite the horrible promos.
Furtados_Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 01:31 AM   #2227
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

teya wrote: View Post
Great interaction between her and Tuvok, too. I wish we'd seen more of that.
Agreed - the two had several scenes back in Season 4, and, pardon the pun, they seem like a very logical pairing as friends. These two just work together very well. It seems like someone opted not to have scenes with these two that often because neither are emotional, so 'of course' it'd be boring, but it's actually detailing two viewpoints that are NOT human. That's what makes their scenes together work so well.

As for Tsunkatse as an episode... meh. I can take it or leave it.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 01:39 AM   #2228
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I don't remember much about Tsunkatse, but my chief complaint when I first saw the episode was that it should've been Tuvok, not Seven, fighting the Rock. After all, Tuvok was supposedly one of Trek's greatest fighters... he knew martial arts from about a dozen or more worlds! Bah.
Old July 24 2009, 01:39 AM   #2229
billcosby
Commodore

Seriously, Chakotay really looks passive in the later seasons. It's as though he just gave up after "Scorpion." Since Janeway pays no attention to anything he says, he doesn't bother to say anything.
Well put. Did Janeway ever listen to Chakotay? I think I've seen every episode and she dismisses him nearly 100% of the time.

billcosby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 01:59 AM   #2230
kimc
Coffee Mod

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I don't remember much about Tsunkatse, but my chief complaint when I first saw the episode was that it should've been Tuvok, not Seven, fighting the Rock. After all, Tuvok was supposedly one of Trek's greatest fighters... he knew martial arts from about a dozen or more worlds! Bah.
I agree it should have been Tuvok.

As for Janeway dismissing Chakotay all the time I'm finding it hard to think of when she was dismissive (note, I said dismissive not disagreed with) but to each their own.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 03:29 AM   #2231
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Tsunkatse (**)

Unfortunately the Worf fighting matches were the only thing I did not like about that two-parter and it was only made respectable by having the Jemmie refuse to kill Worf at the end.

Whoaaaa, you just lost me pal. Those scenes of Worf fighting the Jem Hadar are for me the most exciting and dynamic hand to hand scenes in all of Trek, except for some of the over the top fun fights from TOS.
Old July 24 2009, 04:01 AM   #2232
DWF
Vice Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Seriously, Chakotay really looks passive in the later seasons. It's as though he just gave up after "Scorpion." Since Janeway pays no attention to anything he says, he doesn't bother to say anything.
Well put. Did Janeway ever listen to Chakotay? I think I've seen every episode and she dismisses him nearly 100% of the time.
Well she did make Torres Chief Engineer thanks to Chakotay's suggestion and she elet Tuvok train the other Maquis so yeah she did listen to him from time to time.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 07:30 AM   #2233
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Blink of an Eye (****)

This is easily one of the best sci-fi plot based episodes of the series, the concept is cool and the episode manages to back it up for the most part. And even though the story takes place across several days and a few centuries at the same time, the whole thing manages to be seamless.

Two problems hold it back a little, the biggest problem is the use of Shmully. He lived three years on that planet with a partner and child, yet when Voyager beams him back up he doesn't seem to care about the family he was leaving behind? That should be a life-changing experience for Shmully but instead he is pleased to return to Voyager and take up his old job. And just like O'Brien's experience in Hard Time, this second life is never mentioned again.

The other problem is that this species will probably be super-advanced by the end of the week, yet we never hear from them again? It's the embodiment of episodic story-telling.
"Blink Of An Eye" is actually one of the few seasons 4-7 episodes I enjoyed. Together with "Nemesis" and "Equinox" parts 1 and 2, they are episodes I can watch without getting that old "oh spare me from those dreadful seasons 4-7 episodes" attacks.

It's a good-written story with an interesting concept.

I'll give it 3 points out of 5.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 02:05 PM   #2234
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

destro wrote: View Post
Whoaaaa, you just lost me pal. Those scenes of Worf fighting the Jem Hadar are for me the most exciting and dynamic hand to hand scenes in all of Trek, except for some of the over the top fun fights from TOS.
I'm just not interested in any of the hand-to-hand combat scenes, those sort of things never interested me. Large-scale combat such as the fighting in WOTW or To the Death was fine because that was in the context of a battle, but when it takes place between two competitors in a ring I'm just not interested.

I've got to keep my reputation as a real nerd intact.
Old July 24 2009, 10:14 PM   #2235
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Collective (***½)

One thing this episode does fairly well is recover the Borg from how weak and stupid they seemed in Dark Frontier. Turning the Borg into a bunch of kids seems like a recipe for disaster, but the fact that five Borg kids are menacing and a match for Voyager makes the regular Borg seem even more powerful. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

The episode itself is fairly good, although Chakotay, Neelix and Paris all seem to get lost somewhere. After the last two episodes I was hoping the show was going to maintain the ensemble feel but this episode stays mainly focused on Seven and Janeway with a little Harry thrown in. The conflict between First and the rest of the Borg was a little too telegraphed, and his refusal to back down at the end was based in stupidity, but the other Borg worked well, particularly Icheb. The final ten minutes or so also falls into a generic fight sequence where Voyager wins with magic technobabble.

The Delta Flyer fires three torpedoes before they are captured.

Torpedoes: 64/38